The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 25, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1
NIA

Silencers questions for sig 226 and HK 45

If I get a Threaded barrel for 226 what do I do with old barrel and is a sileneced 9mm 226 better than a silenced HK 45 tactical. some one told me the navy seals use the sillenced nine because cant fire multiple shots out of the silenced 45, is this true?
Old January 25, 2008, 01:32 PM   #2
chris in va

Needs to be moved to NFA section.
Old January 25, 2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

Just wondering, do you have the permits for a silencer? Cant imagine they are easy to get.... infact im not even sure if ther is a permit for something like that. does this fall under class three?
Old January 26, 2008, 04:47 AM   #4
shiky

silencers are NFA items, but are not tough to acquire. file your form 4, let your local police chief approve it, pay $200, wait for your tax stamp, buy your can.
Old January 26, 2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIA
some one told me the navy seals
Unless that person was currently on active duty, wearing a Budweiser, and had a copy of orders to back it up, I'd automatically assume that any sentence with the words "Navy SEAL" in it was 99 44/100% B.S.
Old January 26, 2008, 06:17 AM   #6
SouthCentral

HK USP45CT + can

'Lo all -

I have no problem firing mutiple rounds from mine. Only gripe I have is that the can's big diameter obscures the sight picture. Of course that can be solved easily, I just haven't done it yet.

SouthCentral
Old January 26, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
shaggy

Quote:
If I get a Threaded barrel for 226 what do I do with old barrel
Whatever you want. I have an Evolution-9 for my G17 on an extended &htreaded Bar-Sto barrel, but keep the standard barrel for my G17 as a spare or for when I don't intend to shoot suppressed.

Quote:
is a sileneced 9mm 226 better than a silenced HK 45 tactical.
Define "better". If you mean more quiet, then yes, a subsonic 9mm through a can is going to be more quiet than a .45 through a similar type can in 45. The HK MK23 or another .45 HK type with a can will definitely cycle as those cans (as do most 9mm cans these days) necessarily have a Nielsen device built in to ensure proper cycling.
Old January 26, 2008, 06:43 PM   #8
chakup

Silenced 9mm is amazing- with a good can and subsonic ammo. I have an SWR trident-9 and through my G19 with Federal 147gr it's jaw dropping fun. Definitely an attention getter when shooting.

.45 suppressed- the one I heard did a good job of quieting the report- but it's still loud.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:47 PM   #9
oldcspsarge

HK Tactical : BS

With a Supressor on an HK Tactical..you can empty every mag you can carry without ANY issue but having enough targets to engage.

9mm w/ 147grain subsonic is pretty quiet...but does not hit like 230 grain pumpkin balls !
Old February 10, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Making a suppressor is not as easy as one thinks. First, it adds mass & weight to the barrel. This affects the unlocking ability of the gun. Remember those shoulder stocks for the 1911? The guns had to have a 16" barrel to make them legal to attach. The trouble with those 16" barrels is the mass & weight. Those modified guns were not reliable because of the long barrels. The same lesson applies ot suppressors. Too heavy and the recoil energy generated by the expended round may not be sufficient to function the action. It becomes a delicate balancing act of adding just enough mass (barrel extension with ports, rings, suppressor can) without compromising reliability with the particular bullet in mind.
Old February 12, 2008, 09:03 PM   #11
YukonKid

Or you could buy a .22 and shoot CB's

I like my HK USP and my Sig 226, theres no "can" on them though, i dont see the point. You could just make one like the main character in "Shooter" out of a old water bottle
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!