The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 01:20 AM   #1
okiewita40

Glock and +P ammo

I got a glock 19 and all the JHP I could find was +P. I looked thru the owners manual but didn't find anything that said if it was ok to shoot it.

I am hoping that some of you more experianced glock guys and gals can let me know.

I did try the search function but nothing really came up on it.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Haz251

I'm not entirely sure about glock but I will tell you what I know in general. A lot of manufacturers don't approve or advocate the use of +Ps because of legal reasons. I.E. if the gun explodes from a malfunction and you were using +Ps you couldn't place blame on glock for their product not holding up to claim. But everything I've shot has held up to em just fine. I was once told that 124 grain loads are high pressured (NATO standard) already and I've known guys to use them in G19s no problem.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Gaerek

The carry load in my G19 is a Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. Glocks can handle +P and +P+ pressures, no problem. I would recommend against a steady diet of either of those since they do increase wear. But you're not going to blow up your gun.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4
LockedBreech

+p, unlike +p+, is an official SAAMI designation with defined parameters. +p is trustworthy enough in Glocks that the 124 +p is arguably the most popular weight and pressure of the 9mm for defense and duty. The Speer Gold Dot 124 +p is the official duty load of the Glock 19s issued by the New York Police Department.

It will increase wear somewhat, but as long as you only use it enough to stay proficient and ensure function, it shouldn't be an issue.

Reference:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...Luger%20+P.pdf
Old May 3, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Theohazard

Glocks can handle +P loads no problem, and even most +P+ loads too. Though some very hot loads can cause failures to extract in sub-compact Glocks, just like they can in any gun with lower slide mass. For example, I usually carry Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ in my Glock 19 and it handles it just fine, but the same load doesn't always function properly in a Glock 26; the 26 can physically handle the extra pressure, but it causes the lighter slide to move back fast enough that it sometimes doesn't properly extract the fired case.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:11 AM   #6
okiewita40

Thanks for the input. Now I don't feel so bad about the Corbon 115 gr +P ammo that I bought.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:01 AM   #7
AK103K

I carry and shoot the Winchester 127gr. +P+ in my 17's and 26's as well. My 26's dont seem to mind it at all, and function just like the 17's, so far anyways.

I havent found the hotter ammo to be a wear issue with the 9mm's either. My one 17 has more +P+ through it, than my 31 had 357SIG through it, and the 31 was beating itself to death, specifically, the underside of the slide was peening heavily.

The 17 just past 50000+ rounds back in December, most of which were fairly warm reloads, but there were a couple of thousand +P, and +P+ in there as well, and its slide only shows some slight finish wear in the spot the 31 was peening.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Noreaster

NYPD and Miami PD issue Glocks and +P ammo for duty, training and quals. Glocks are made around the Nato round which is slightly higher then Saami and slightly lower than +P.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

It's fine...not a steady diet, because it'll wear the gun out a littler faster. Other than that, it's fine. In Miami Dade PD we use +p+ if we want
Old May 3, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
amd6547

My G26 handles Ranger 127's with no problem also...it is my carry load.
IF, and doubtfully IF +P+ "accelerates wear", I have yet to see evidence of it.
And if it does, it would likely wear user replaceable parts.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
I carry and shoot the Winchester 127gr. +P+ in my 17's and 26's as well. My 26's dont seem to mind it at all, and function just like the 17's, so far anyways.
Quote:
My G26 handles Ranger 127's with no problem also...it is my carry load.
I've seen several 26s that often failed to extract using that load, but I've seen some that worked just fine. Come to think of it, I think the ones that didn't like the +P+ were older Gen 3s, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
Come to think of it, I think the ones that didn't like the +P+ were older Gen 3s, maybe that has something to do with it.
I have three 26's, all Gen 3's, and they all seem to feed it OK.

How often do you change your RSA? Maybe thats the issue.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Theohazard

These were all friends' and coworkers' guns, I don't own a 26. If it's a recoil spring issue, that means the ones that worked were just on the borderline of being too light; with standard and +P loads the recoil spring should last at least 10,000 rounds, and I'm pretty sure none of these guns had that many rounds though them.

My theory is that there might be a minor difference between some older Gen 3s and the new Gen 3s and Gen 4s. Otherwise, it might be that the +P+ loads are just borderline functional and they work fine in some 26s and not in others.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:40 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

excuse my ignorance.

but everyone keeps saying it wears the gun out faster. If Glocks go for a long time (10,000's? 100,000's? of rounds)...what is going to happen?
Old May 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #15
allaroundhunter

Re: Glock and +P ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
excuse my ignorance.

but everyone keeps saying it wears the gun out faster. If Glocks go for a long time (10,000's? 100,000's? of rounds)...what is going to happen?
The gun will go that long, yes, but you have to replace components before then. Springs are the main things that need replacement, and running a heavy diet of +P ammo will force you to change your recoil spring more often than the 3-5k round recommendation.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #16
AK103K

Glock RSA's are cheap, and I replace mine regularly in the guns I shoot a lot. Its really nothing more than normal maintenance.

The only thing I have noticed in my one 17 that has a higher than normal round count, is the rail tabs have become "sharp", along the edges, and will cut you if youre not paying attention when you clean. The barrel has a pretty good "smiley" on it, but its just finish wear.