The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 24, 2000, 08:09 PM   #1
Sling Shot

Just like the title says but with two conditions. No Glocks and the caliber has to be 9mm. Any suggestions? I saw a Walther P5 and P5 compact that appeal to me. There is a gent in Massachusetts or Conneticut, I think, that sells Walthers and is the main distributor. Anybody have his web address? What else is out there that fits the bill?
Thanks, Sling Shot
Old November 24, 2000, 08:18 PM   #2
Coolray

The Kel-Tec P-11 fits your requirements $250 here. the wather PP is about right.
Old November 24, 2000, 08:31 PM   #3
riddleofsteel

check out the line of Kahrs. the MK9 or P9 should fill the bill.
Old November 24, 2000, 08:40 PM   #4
Clark

I have 5 types of 9x19mm pistols, and I like the Kel-Tek P11 for carrying the best.

It is the lightest and smallest 11 rounds of 9mm I can find.

It is not the aesthetic, accuracy, prestige, accesory, or feature winner. It is close to the cost winner.

Anything bigger than a P11 is uncomfortable to carry.
Anything smaller than a P11 is underpowered to carry.
Old November 24, 2000, 08:42 PM   #5
bernie

I know I am going to be flamed for this, but here goes. S&W 3913 TSW is a very good sidearm. Plus, the president of S&W that agreed to the deal with the federales is no longer with the company. They demoted him to some company that makes something that is not nearly as neat as firearms.
Old November 24, 2000, 08:49 PM   #6
Gorthaur

Quote:
There is a gent in Massachusetts or Conneticut, I think, that sells Walthers and is the main distributor. Anybody have his web address?
You betcha, http://www.waltherusa.net - not to be confused with the evil S&W/Walther USA which is http://www.waltherusa.com
Old November 24, 2000, 09:02 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Kahr. Impressive little pistols and quite manageable.
Old November 24, 2000, 09:51 PM   #8
Sling Shot

Keep them coming men. I went to the Kahr web site, and although the P-11 was an interesting pistol, I thought that the all steel series of the Kahr 9mm would be perfect for me. I just like a all metal gun. Anybody have any experience with the all steel series, K9 I think, and especially the super compact model. That one is right down my alley. I read a review on the Kahr web site authored by a gun magazine that was titled something like the 10 best compact semis of all time. The Kahr came in seventh place. Anybody know what the other nine guns were? I know that this topic has been discussed before, but the search function is not working because the administration has disabled it which is probably due to the software upgrades.
My main objective in posting this topic is to find a reliable, accurate, all metal compact that would be used for deep cover. And I keep on coming back to the Walther P5. That pistol is like a huge magnet, and I am a helpless hunk of steel.
Sling Shot
Old November 24, 2000, 09:54 PM   #9
Sling Shot

Oh, I just about forgot. I need a price check on the Kahr K-9 and K-9 compact, please. Sling Shot
Old November 24, 2000, 10:22 PM   #10
alamo

Another vote for the Kel-tec P-11. All steel sounds
great but a lot of folks may find that extra weight
may discourage regular carry.
Old November 24, 2000, 10:30 PM   #11
Marcus

Sounds like you have you heart set on a P5. Why don`t you just get one of those? Good concealment leather may be hard to find and there are better guns for carrying but hey we all get mesmerized by a gun from time to time. If you decide to stray check out the CZ-75PCR Compact. Personally I carry a Keltec 85% of the time (remember rule 1!) and either a Ruger P-97 or CZ-75B Mil. the rest of the time. Compared to the other 2 the P-11 is totally effortless to carry and still holds 11rds. of 9mm+P. Marcus
Old November 24, 2000, 10:40 PM   #12
Wayne D

My vote is for the S&W 3913. Yeah I know, I know........
Old November 24, 2000, 10:44 PM   #13
vmaam

Kahr

I recently got my Kahr P9 for $499. What a sweet pistol and it only weighs 17 oz.
Old November 24, 2000, 11:14 PM   #14
Quantum Singularity

Sig 239. Excellent accuracy, great trigger, and good ergonomics
Old November 24, 2000, 11:17 PM   #15
Dr45ACP

Kel-Tec P11 for the money is a good gun for close range defense.

Mine works great, never jammed. I have heard some jam a lot, so I guess it just depends on the gun.

Wouldnt want to try and hit a target past about 20 feet with one, though.
Old November 25, 2000, 12:04 AM   #16
Sling Shot

Yeah, the P5 does have it in for me, but I would like to drive a Kahr also. Kahr owners, how concealable is the K-9? Will it fit comfortably in a pants pocket? Any pocket or inside the pants holster recommendations? Christmas is just around the corner, and I do not want to bust my budget on a Walther P-5. Sling Shot
Old November 25, 2000, 12:16 AM   #17
loknload

Walther P5

Slingshot, The guy you are looking for is
Earl's Reapir Service
437 Chandler Street rear
Twekesbury, MA 01876
Phone: 978-851-2656
I bought two pieces from this guy and he's a good guy to deal with. To my knowlege he only handles German Walthers and that is also the only thing he will work on
If you are looking at a P5 and can afford it, get it, you won't
regret it I have one and love it. The only bad thing that some will point out is the bottom grip magazine release.
Hope this helps, let us know what you pick up

Happy Gun Hunting

For some laid back gun chat visit
The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily
Old November 25, 2000, 01:25 AM   #18
WestWA Hunter

Looks like you have your heart set on the Kahr (which is undoubtedly a good pistol) but I just have to throw in another vote for the Kel-Tec P11.

I have approximately 1500 rounds through mine and I've had one stovepipe which happened within the first 50 rounds I put through it (number 32 to be exact). It is very easy to carry in just about any way you want to carry it (pocket, waistband, holster, whatever). Once I got used to the long, heavy DAO trigger pull it was surprisingly consistent at 25 yds which is a little farther away than I would suppose this gun was designed to be used. It's a good, rugged, little gun.
Old November 25, 2000, 02:00 AM   #19
Tecolote

If you're considering a P5 give a SIG Sauer P225 a close look. They're roughly the same size and weight. The P225 is a German made alloy/steel DA/SA pistol that's very accurate, extremely reliable, and compact in size.
Old November 25, 2000, 10:16 AM   #20
pocketman

I'll vote for the kel-tec p-11,I had one with a hardchromed slide and night sites that was a great carry piece and 100% reliable. I sold it on a wim to a police officer that "had to have it" for off duty/& back-up carry and offered me $150.00 more than I paid for it and at the time they were still legal in massachusettes so i figured i would just get anouther one some day,can't get one now....anyway it was a great gun(luckly I kept my p-32) The kahr's are also great pistols more $$ but very nice guns. They are too heavy for pocket carry though the polimer p-9 maybe ok for jacket pocket carry..I like lou alessi's talon nyclip iwb holsters,anouther + with the kel-tec is you can get a holster clip that attaches to the p-11 and this eliminates the need for a holster.
Old November 25, 2000, 05:24 PM   #21
marley

I vote for the Sig 239 very nice. I don't own one but the one I have shot is a great a little gun.

"It has ben suggested in some quarters that this is not enough!" The clash
tecolote great quote!!! Patrick
Old November 25, 2000, 05:54 PM   #22
Sierra

Sig 225 is a reasonable alternative. Ergonomics are great and it is very accurate.
Old November 25, 2000, 05:59 PM   #23
Tecolote

marley,

Glad you like it. Not too many folks would've recognized the quote.
Old November 25, 2000, 06:21 PM   #24
denfoote

Sling Shot,

This may sound dumb, and I will probably get flamed like HE!! for it, but here goes. Of late I have put my Glocks into the safe, and have re-aquainted myself with an old friend. My Ruger (yes, Ruger ) P95. For a long time I thought that this gun was just to big for CCW. Then I discovered that with the right holster, it becomes quite managable. I am now carrying it in a Bianchi 7/7L pancake. Yesterday, at the gunshop, I even discovered a Kydex IWB for it. I just might have to get one of those, but that is another story. Anyway, the bigest advantage to the P95 is it's price. You can get a quality weapon for a very reasonable price. Not to mention that, once again, it is the Gun Test Magazine "Get your butt out there, and buy one of these things, NOW!!!" best buy. Sturdy, rugged, accurate, eats anything you feed it ( maybe a good atribute if Algore gets in to the W.H. ), and CONCEALABLE!!! All I ask is that you give it some thought, before you rush out to buy something expensive.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old November 25, 2000, 07:33 PM   #25
abcimixab

"No Glocks and the caliber has to be 9mm."

Well, you've got two marks against you right there. With those inadvisable restrictions in place, the Kahr is a great choice.