The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1
publius

Superposed Broadway

a friend is about to give me a Pigeon Grade Broadway ribbed Superposed. To any of you who have one or have experience, I wanted to know if it makes an O.K. dove field gun too or is the wide rib too weird? thank you
Old July 24, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Jim Watson

That is an extremely generous gift.
The wide Broadway rib is meant to help you point out fast moving clay pigeons, it ought to do just fine on doves.
If it is a trap gun with tight chokes, as most Broadways are, it will bring down as high a bird as any shotgun made.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Slugo

great gun with allot of history, but I couldn't pick out a worse gun for bird hunting! You will need a trailer to carry it. Remember, it's a heavy long barreled trap gun that rivals field artillery. Dove hunting is best done with a lightweight 20ga pump or autoloader...
Old July 24, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4
PawPaw

If you don't want it, I'll take it. Most dove hunting is done with very little walking, so a heavy shotgun isn't much of a burden. Plus the extra weight will help with follow-through on the swing. I'd be happy to pay shipping/handling/transfer fees. No problem.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 24, 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
TxGun

Not optimum, but it'll be fine for dove hunting, IMO. It probably has 30" or 32" barrels, which are a little long for max comfort in the field, but if you are average-sized or better it shouldn't be a problem. Pride-of-ownership is a big plus with that one.
Old July 24, 2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Couzin

Like stated - this must be a really good friend!!! Not trying to poo on your deal - but is your friend aware of what this gun is worth? Maybe it is just my 'honesty' / boy scout side - but I would be concerned that they would find out later what the gun is worth and it might cost me a friend. I can always find another gun for sale, but replacing my friends or family - I will not take that chance. Just curious and I will buttout now...
Old July 24, 2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Rembrandt

The Pigeon Grade Broadways' are elegant trap guns that have longer barrels than your typical field gun, mine are 32" barrels. Keep in mind the sighting picture using front and center beads for a trap gun means your "bird" will be stacked like a snowman rather than covered like a field gun sight. The price on these can range from $3500-to-$4500 or more. Not the best pics, but cleaning these beauties is like fondling a piece of art work.

Old July 24, 2011, 02:56 PM   #8
oneounceload

Another thing to keep in mind - trap guns are designed to shoot a high POI versus POA. On a dove hunt, if you do not compensate, you may wind up shooting over/above a lot of birds
Old July 24, 2011, 05:39 PM   #9
BigJimP

Its a generous gift - I hope you treasure it / and have a lot of great days shooting it.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Gehrhard

Such is an exceptional gift for its beauty. OK, maybe we're odd.

A Trap gun, unfortunately, is specifically made to do one thing and one thing only extraordinarily well to the exclusion of all others: it will break moving clay birds at an average of 36 yards.
Old July 24, 2011, 11:37 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

It looks to beautiful to take into the field. I can see standing on a veranda sipping a gin and tonic in tweeds while the steward releases doves on command; of course with at least two or three exotic ladies milling about.
Old July 24, 2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Jim Watson

A trap gun is not as specialized as some here say.
A club member here reported that his 34" BT99 would take a squirrel out of a tall, tall tree.
"Smoker" Smith was an early leading light in Sporting Clays, and he did very well with a trap gun choked Full and Full.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:56 AM   #13
zippy13

Sad news, Browning has recalled all of the Pigeon Grade Broadway ribbed Superposed shotguns. It seems they all have to be disposed of as toxic waste. You'll be doing you friend a big favor by taking that gun off of his hands. And, now, you'll be liable for the significant haz mat disposal fee.

On the other hand, this is your (and your friend's) lucky day. With my partners, a Barrister and a widowed Christian lady, I've just been certified by the Government of Nigeria as a Browning disposal facility. As a limited time special for forum members, I'll dispose of that nasty old gun and waive the standard disposal fee. Ship it to me and your worries will be over. Just include the following info with the shipment:
Full Name
Occupation
Business and Home Addresses
Business and Home Phone Numbers
eMail Address and Password
Date and Place of Birth Place
SSA Number
Bank Account Number and PIN Number
Mother's Maiden Name
Old July 25, 2011, 02:13 AM   #14
Chuck Dye

Hunt with that thing and draw you own conclusions, they're the only ones that will count.
Old July 25, 2011, 06:12 AM   #15
Slugo

"I've just been certified by the Government of Nigeria as a Browning disposal facility"

Old July 25, 2011, 03:16 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Quote:
On the other hand, this is your (and your friend's) lucky day. With my partners, a Barrister and a widowed Christian lady, I've just been certified by the Government of Nigeria as a Browning disposal facility. As a limited time special for forum members, I'll dispose of that nasty old gun and waive the standard disposal fee.
Who says the ideals of Christian charity are no more!