The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2010, 04:33 PM   #26
BigJimP

Yes, at least on the Browning's with inertia triggers .....if whichever barrel you have selected to fire, does not fire ......yanking on the trigger will not do anything. To make the gun fire the 2nd barrel - if you click the safety on - and off ( it will reset the inertia trigger to the other barrel ) - and you can then fire that 2nd barrel.

Zippy or OneOunce or someone else will have to respond on whether other mfg's will behave the same ( but I think they're all the same ).

But you can test it on your own 2 barrel / single trigger guns ... Open the gun / cock the firing pins for both barrels - and then close the gun .... click the trigger on the first barrel ( it should fire the firing pin ) .... but since there is no recoil ..( you're doing this on an empty gun - like if a shell misfired ) ... the trigger will not reset to fire the 2nd barrel .... unless you click the safety on and off ( or barrel selector over and back ) ...and then you can fire the 2nd barrel.

So Zippy's point was -- if you had enough awareness - when one barrel misfired .... you could click the safety on and off - and fire that 2nd barrel so you don't end up with 2 lost targets ( when a pair is thrown ) ...

There are rules in Skeet, Sporting, 5 Stand etc that address gun malfunctions, ammo malfunctions, etc .... and you should look over the rules / and limitations offered a shooter - and whether you may, or may not, in a registered shoot - get to shoot one or both of these targets again with no penalty. The answer is maybe ....it depends ...
Old April 9, 2010, 10:04 PM   #27
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
Zippy or OneOunce or someone else will have to respond on whether other mfg's will behave the same ( but I think they're all the same ).
Let me answer that with a profound maybe. I had some W-101's 20+ years ago and I recall their inertia triggers functioned as you described. My current inertia triggers are in comp guns (Perazzis and Beretta) and have their safeties blocked. So, I can't do Super-Shooter's Hail Mary.

For those of you with inertia triggers, or you don't know what kind of triggers you have, put in some snap caps and do some experimenting.

Last edited by zippy13; April 10, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:23 AM   #28
olddrum1

"I've had plenty of duds with reloads with bad primers or low powder, etc. I don't know what clay games you are playing, but generally in trap, other than Bunker/Wobble, you ONLY load 1 shell...regardless if its a dud, you don't have a followup shot. In skeet you have 2 shells for 2 targets, so that won't help increase your scores either. In sporting clays you have a simo or report pair, so, that won't help your scores either.....I'm sensing a theme? . Where do you get that having a second shot, due to having a mechanical trigger, will give you a better score? Or, for that matter, how does that make your second shot faster or less recoil? If anything, the inertia block moving backwards would lessen recoil, not increase it, on a minute scale."

Its really pretty simple. Its not a matter of how many shells you have in your gun but the fact that with mechanical triggers you do not need recoil to reset the second shot. Less recoil means a smoother transition to the second target. No flinch. No barrel jump. You can shoot a lot lighter load when using a mechanical set of triggers. I have a shotgun that I load down to 950 fps for skeet. No recoil. You just break targets. The less recoil, flinch, barrel jump, the better the score. Thats about as simple as it gets.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:16 AM   #29
RoscoeC

Quote:
From MY personal use - having had a Ruger and currently having a Savage/Fox - mechanical triggers are gritty and have more creep than the inertia guns I own.
My only experience with the mechanical triggers is with the Cynergy. They are light (sorry, haven't measured them), smooth and every bit equal to the Beretta 686's inertia triggers.

In all fairness, I have seen some posts that are not complimentary of the Cynergy triggers, but I only have my experience with my gun.
NRA Life Member
Old April 10, 2010, 05:40 AM   #30
darkgael

More

There keeps being more. I could (maybe should) start a new thread for every new idea rather than keep hijacking this one.
Bunker Trap = Olympic trap. Is that so? Two targets. Was on TV during the last Summer Olympics.
If that was "Bunker", that looked very fast.
Pete
Old April 10, 2010, 09:54 AM   #31
zippy13

Yes, Pete, that was "Bunker" or Olympic Trap you saw at the 2008 Beijing Games where you get two shots on the same target. But, that's just in the first event of 125 targets. The top six make it to the final event (think of it as a six-way shoot-out) where you don't get that second shot. The Men's trap event was won by David Kostelecky of the Check Republic with a 121+25.

Kostelecky on his way to Olympic Gold with an inertia trigger.
Old April 10, 2010, 02:09 PM   #32
zippy13

Golden Grip

Here's a little something extra for you newer shooters, take a close look at the photo above and explain what's going on with Dave's left hand.

Hint: Count the fingers.

Last edited by zippy13; April 10, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added hint
Old April 10, 2010, 03:45 PM   #33
PJR

I've used and owned mechanical triggers (Winchester and Kriehoff) and inertia triggers (Beretta, Browning and Perazzi.) Flip a coin. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Mechanical triggers are more complex particularly the Krieghoff which looks like a Swiss watch with tiny springs and cross pins. Anything breaks and you are done for the day if not much longer.

I've had two problems with inertia triggers. The first was on a Beretta 682 that wouldn't always reset when shooting Winchester Low Recoil Low Noise ammo. The second was on a pheasant hunt with the Browning when after dropping one bird a second flushed while I was reloading. I instinctively snapped the gun shut before getting the shell in and "click."
Old April 10, 2010, 06:37 PM   #34
oneounceload

Olddrum - I have reloaded and shot loads like you describe for 5-stand in my inertia trigger Brownings and have never had an issue. Friends of mine who shoot skeet and shoot heavy target guns with sub tubes and never had an issue except with 410. Guess it just depends on the quality of the inertia triggers
Old April 10, 2010, 06:53 PM   #35
IrvJr

Guys - Thanks for the great and very informative replies.

I took a look at some shotguns the other day. They didn't have too many since they seem to mostly have "tactical" stuff at the local shop. However, I handled a couple of Red Labels, a Beretta 686 White Onyx, and another browning Cynergy (classic field).

They are all nice. The fit and finish of the Red Label wasn't as nice as the other two brands, but it was still nice. The Beretta was very nice and seemed to fit me well. The Browning was built very nicely and very solid, but it sort of lacked some of the panache of the Beretta.

I'm still undecided between the Cynergy field and Beretta White Onyx...
Old April 10, 2010, 07:58 PM   #36
oneounceload

IRV - FWIW

Go to a local gun club (not the tactical range, the clay target places), explain your situation, and ask to try some various guns (or rent if they have them).

Shotgunners are typically more than willing to let someone try their gun for a some shots or a few rounds.

Two things to watch - how a particular gun "feels" in your hands - a personal thing only YOU can determine; second, how a particular gun FITS you. shouldering a gun in the store is one thing - actually shooting and seeing if it fits is another.

GOOD LUCK in your quest
Old April 10, 2010, 08:02 PM   #37
zippy13

(oneounceload pre-posted me on this one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
They didn't have too many since they seem to mostly have "tactical" stuff at the local shop. However, I handled a couple of Red Labels, a Beretta 686 White Onyx, and another browning Cynergy (classic field).
Sounds like you've been shopping at one of the big box sports stores. You need to get your hands on some real target guns. Is there a gun club with a pro shop anywhere near you? Even if the club doesn't have a pro shop, there's usually some gun trading going on.

A trap and skeet club is a great place to check out guns. It's common for someone to admire a gun in the rack and approach the owner with something like: "Is that your gun? I've been thinking of getting one. How do you like it, do you mind if I pick it up?" I've never heard a gun owner refuse to let someone check out his gun. I think you'll find most gun owners are proud of their guns and are eager to show them off. And, they might even offer to let you shoot it -- it's not uncommon.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:09 PM   #38
oneounceload

I'll give you an example of "feel".

Was shooting sporting yesterday with our group. One of the gents is a noted gun writer in the shotgun rags and has some wonderful guns that he sometimes let us mere mortals fondle and shoot.

Two of his come to mind - one is a Perazzi 28 built on a 20 frame for Argentina - 7-1/4 pounds (great for those 2,000 shots a day treks), specified barrels, stock dimensions, foreend dimensions, weight balance point, length of barrels, weight of barrels, type of trigger, and on and on. These were all included in the price. Taking it in my hands, (he's about the same height and arm length as me) my first reaction was "wow, this FEELS good". Able to shoot some clays with it my comment was "now second on my wish list when I hit the lotto"....why? It just came to my shoulder like it was meant to be there - all my focus could be on the bird, not on the gun and shouldering it.

Second example was his 1920's era WC Scott 12 gauge SxS weighing in at a svelte 6#2oz. It has a H&H style English grip with a slight "diamond" shape through the wrist ( I always learn some wonderful things when guys like him let me fondle these guns). Fixed chokes, built for grouse, 2-1/2" chambers and built like a typical 20 or 28. Again, same scenario - close the eyes, shoulder the gun, open the eyes and it's right there.

These "feelings" and handling characteristics are something only an individual can determine what is right for you.

While these two guns might be on the upper price scale of many here on this forum, they are neither unreasonable nor outrageous when compared to guns of equal quality.

Shop around, determine what your primary use and priorities are, go from there.

The Perazzi has inertia triggers, the WS has double triggers - while neither is mechanical, the differences are worth looking into more than inertia vs. mechanical and something to give consideration
Old April 10, 2010, 09:40 PM   #39
JoeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddrum1
Its really pretty simple. Its not a matter of how many shells you have in your gun but the fact that with mechanical triggers you do not need recoil to reset the second shot. Less recoil means a smoother transition to the second target. No flinch. No barrel jump. You can shoot a lot lighter load when using a mechanical set of triggers. I have a shotgun that I load down to 950 fps for skeet. No recoil. You just break targets. The less recoil, flinch, barrel jump, the better the score. Thats about as simple as it gets.
Can't teach an old dog, or drum new tricks, obviously

The only time the trigger type comes into play is when you're shooting substantially smaller gauges in a much larger frame (12ga-410, etc) and even then the weapon can be lightly modified (not very expensive) to fix this issue. Economically/logically, it makes more sense to find a shotgun that fits, and then IF the sub-gauge issue arises, modify the trigger easily.

I've shot thousands of rounds through my Browning XT with Inertia Trigger in the short time (about 6 months) I've owned it. I've shot real light reloads, international loads, promotional walmart loads, rios, gunclubs, etc, etc...never had a trigger problem. If one wants to shoot a real wussy 12ga load, this shouldn't be an issue. Have you tried the SAME exact loads in inertia trigger guns and NOT had them function? 1000FPS is still moving at a pretty good click...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy13
Kostelecky on his way to Olympic Gold with an inertia trigger.
Wow, how'd he do that!

Just an FYI, I was in CO Springs at the Olympic Training center this March for a shooting opportunity I had for some training with Bret Erickson (Olympic shooter) and some members of the USA shooting team. I saw lots of Perazzi's, with the International Trap and Skeet teams. Those were all inertia triggers...
Old April 10, 2010, 10:04 PM   #40
oneounceload

Quote:
Just an FYI, I was in CO Springs at the Olympic Training center this March for a shooting opportunity I had for some training with Bret Erickson (Olympic shooter) and some members of the USA shooting team. I saw lots of Perazzi's, with the International Trap and Skeet teams. Those were all inertia triggers..
WHAT?!?! No pumps?????..no K-guns?!?!.....