The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Texas Varmit Hunters

All,

I love to deer hunt and do so each year. I would like to Varmit hunt but do not have much in the way of Varmits on my deer lease and do not know where to hunt varmits in Texas. I was wondering if you all could give me some info?

What type of varmits do you hunt?

Where do you hunt them?

Do you only hunt them during deer season if they show up around your stand/hunting area?

Do you go to hunt only them?

How much do you pay to hunt them?

I really would like to hunt them but I am not sure how much I am willing to pay to do so...Beyond enjoying the hunt of them what other benefits do you get when you hunt them?

What kind of guns do you hunt the different Varmits with?

Thanks,
Old August 23, 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
10-96

http://www.barhduderanch.com/hunting.html

Take a peek here... it's a place to start.

I get a kick out of varmintin due to the long range and challenge. The wind here can be unmerciful at times and a 300+ yd shot on a P-dog with a .223, or a 400+yd shot with a .243 is quite exhileratin. I used to think that only 24" heavy barreled rifles were of use- but I've since retired most of them and mostly rely on my standard CZ 527 American in .223 Rem. (good truck gun). On special occasions I'll tote my heavy Rem .243 loaded around 3776fps with 58gr bullets or one of my 20" or 24" AR's. Decent long range glass is not a must- but I like my 8.5-25x44 Muellers. If you don't have a reliable spotter- you'll find it most helpful to be able to keep the shot in the glass (sight picture). You can track a p-dog, yote, skunk, whatever for just so long before they get tired of playing the 'target' role and wander off or crawl down a hole. Eventually, and usually on relatively short notice, you'll have to bring all your shootin savvy together to make the long shot. Satisfaction comes from the acrobatics and the sound. Try this- ruther stoutly, thump the palm of your left hand towards the meaty part farthest away from the left thumb with the middle finger of the right hand. Do this a few times and you can sorta re-create the sound you can plainly hear from a 1/4 mile away when you make a good hit on a varmint. I'm not a rich feller and can hardly afford the God-awful prices what they charge around here for hog & deer lease hunts- and we're painfully short on decent public hunting land so varmint and a little bit of bird huntin is all I get to enjoy here.

Good luck nad good shootin.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.