The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Skans

Detonics Pocket 9 guns - looking for information....

I bought a Detonics Pocket 9 on a whim (unusual for me) this weekend - I've alwasy wanted a nice one and I figured what the heck. I pretty much know the good, the bad and the ugly about this particular gun, but I still like and admire them and had to have one.

Here's the thing I didn't know. Apparently there were several versions of the Pocket 9mm. I want to know which version I have - I think it's the latest production model, but I haven't been able to find a picture of one just like it. In fact, I think it might be a "Power 9" based on what I read on the Biggerhammer website.

It has the slide with the polished flats, not the all satin slide. It has the aluminum grips and an alan screw instead of the slotted screw that I've seen on some. It also has a nifty bright orange piece on the front sight inside of the channel - looks too clean not to be factory.

I know these guns were only made for a few years - had no idea that they had any variation to them. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it yet - will try to get some.

Does anyone know of a website where the gun can be positively identified by serial number? I've never even heard of a "Power 9" - does anyone know the differences between the Power 9 and the Pocket 9?
Old July 6, 2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Uzi4u2

I saw one on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExqoJ...next=1&index=1.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:30 PM   #3
kokopelli

here ya go-

http://www.biggerhammer.net/detonics/

also- your slide could have easily been polished by a previous owner...
Old July 7, 2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Skans

No, the slide definitely was not polished by a previous owner - it's factory. The Detonics logo is too crisp and the polish is not a high polish, but is very uniform. I saw the Biggerhammer website, but they don't give a lot of detail on serial numbers or pictures of the different variations.

FWIW, I like the Biggerhammer website. I know it doesn't get a lot of traffic, but it has a wealth of information on a number of rather hard to find firearms that interest me.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Jehzsa

It "sounds" like a factory-custom Mark V. You could special order anything available. http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/detonics.htm

What's certain is that it is not a Mark VII, a Mark I nor a IV. Probably not a II.

Fwiw, seems that the best functioning ones were the Bellevue with serial numbers over 20,000. By that time all the kinks were gone.

HTH
Old October 31, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
elsiepeeonme

My Pocket 9

I've had mine since about '87/'88 and it's like the one in the youtube video. It has the alan screw in the aluminum grips and all the SS is the same satin finish. It's clearly marked "Detonics 9x19" "Pocket 9" on the slide. Mine has 3-dot orange sights, not just on the front sight. The back of the slide has the other 2 dots. I bought it used (barely) so I don't know if someone added those to the back of the slide, but they are identical to the front one. Serial number is P27XX. I am looking to sell it and finally switch completely to my Glock, but can't post FS here just yet due to the forum rules.

I can hit a little better with it than with my Glock, but it requires a firm grip (due to the recoil I guess), otherwise the heavy recoil/rotation can engage the safety. It's a fine piece of workmanship from what was a great gun maker. It is extraordinarily (spookily) close in size to my G27. The Power 9 was longer and I assume would be marked as on the slide "Power 9".

I've spoken to a local gun dealer who personally knew the guy working at Detonics who designed this gun. I get the idea they might have made modifications along the way as there were only relatively few of these made only for about a year. So they were "early" in the production process.

This gun was used in Miami Vice as Sonny's backup in a few episodes, Magnum PI and a few other shows/movies:
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Detonics_Pocket_9

Pardon the late post from a newbie, but it doesn't look like you ever got much info.