The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Deja vu

So I inherited a ithica mag 10...

So I inherited a ithica mag 10 a few days ago from an uncle that knew that I liked to shoot shotguns.

I have never shot a 10ga before and have no idea how much the ammo is... The gun came with a few boxes of bird shot #8-#6 and some buck shot but it all appears pretty old

I am wondering what a good use for this gun is... I regularly hunt geese and ducks as well as pheasants with my Remington 870 12 ga.

This gun feels really heavy it seems like it could be a pain to carry

so is there really any point to this gun other than to take up space in my vault? Not that i am complaining
Old March 20, 2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Webleymkv

10ga shells can be quite expensive. Most of what you'll find available will be steel waterfowl loads with #2, #1, BB, BBB, or T shot and it will usually cost $25-30 per box of 25 shells. Certain times of the year, you will also find Turkey loadings with #4, #5, or #6 shot usually with pellets made of some exotic non-toxic metal like bismuth. Finally, only Federal still makes buckshot and slugs specifically an 18-pellet 00 Buck loading and a 1 3/4oz slug.

The 10ga's two main areas of popularity are waterfowl (particularly goose) and turkey hunting. The advantage of the 10ga is that the larger bore usually allows a denser pattern at longer ranges (particularly with steel shot).

One interesting variation of the Ithaca Mag 10 was the Roadblocker which was intended for police use. While the Roadblocker never really caught on for it's intended purpose, it did become somewhat popular in Africa among Professional Hunters for sorting out dangerous game such as lions and leopards that had been wounded. While the Ithaca no longer makes a 10ga, the rights to the Mag 10 design were bought by Remington who now makes their own version called the SP10.

The recoil of the 10ga is, in my opinion, overblown. While recoil certainly is heavy, the greater weight of most 10ga shotguns helps to dampen it greatly. My H&R 10ga (probably the hardest-kicking model available) actually seems to me to have less recoil than my Remington 870 Express 12ga loaded with 3" Brenneke slugs. The semi-automatic operation and extra weight of your Mag 10 will probably make the recoil even more manageable than my H&R.

Also, it's great fun to disintegrate clay pigeons with a 10ga stoked full of BB shot (and to watch the faces of all the other shooters when you do it).
Old March 21, 2010, 09:26 AM   #3
dropthehammer

I hunted ducks and geese with a Mag 10 back when it was still legal to shoot lead shot. The gun was very impressive for pass shooting, 70 yard kills were not uncommon. Sold mine a few years after steel shot became mandatory. Recoil was very manageable, but I was alot younger then.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
publius

You got some #8 shot w/it. I would take that sucker dove hunting at a big hunt on opening day. It would be funny as hell. I really would.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Hog Buster

It’s a fine gun for goose hunting and you can make some great shots on high flying ducks. Problem with it is expensive ammo and it’s heavy enough to be crew served. Wandering around carrying it is like toting and old Browing Automatic Rifle. The recoil ain’t bad but close shots should be avoided, least you pluck ‘em and gut ‘em in mid-air. Like most folks I got rid of mine after a couple of seasons.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:49 AM   #6
jbaham

The ithaca Mag 10 is a good gun. I currently have a browning bps 10 ga and a remington sp-10 which is the newer model of the ithaca mag 10. The recoil is not bad at all in fact most 12 ga 3.5 inch guns will recoil harder. Another plus is the gun is a semiautomatic. The shells I use in the bps are around 18 dollars a box they are winchester #5 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. Just don't believe all the hype that the 10 guage is going hurt you really bad. I used to own one about 5 or so years ago that was nasty but it weighed about 7 lbs as well. For Any type of waterfowl hunting this would be a good gun, and turkey hunting as well.

good luck
Old April 10, 2010, 06:39 PM   #7
baltz526

Your 10ga will work great pass shooting geese and mallards on the snake. Check mac's for ammo. Internet ammo shopping for the 10ga will get you ammo for the same as 3 1/2" 12ga. If you can find it, federal steel is the best for store bought. New high $ nontox is coming for next season, but not many can afford to shoot it.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
crghss

Turkey!

I would love a Ithica 10ga. As others have said it's great for waterfowl & turkey, if you want to hump it.

I think the dove idea would be a hoot.