The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1
robc

Case trimmer... no collars

Hi Guys (and gals),

Is there a case trimmer that works with no additional purchases? I have several calibers I'd like to reload, and if I can avoid purchasing collars, well, that would be nice.

TIA for any info.
Old March 31, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2
fourrobert13

Possum Hollow trimmers can do multiple calibers with one trimmer, but you would still need a drill, but one power adapter would work for all of the different cutters. It trims off of the datam of the case shoulder.
Old March 31, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
wncchester

Lyman's Universal Case Trimmer needs no shell holders and comes with a set of nine pilots for the most popular calibers. A good tool.
Old March 31, 2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The Lyman uses a universal chuck, but you still need caliber specific pilots. The Wilson uses just one cutter and needs no pilot, but you have to get a separate case holder for each chambering. The Lee system has a separate trimmer/cutter for each case length and internal mouth dimension, but they don't cost much. The problem is how to hold all those different case shapes in alignment with the cutter without adapting a special holder or using a special pilot, and still get it to trim square to the case axis? I don't know any way to do that unless you own a lathe and can do tool setup and truing.

The Lyman units come with pilots for the 9 most popular calibers already included. So does the RCBS, but if requires changing shell holders. I think the Wilson has the best precision because it allows no wobble, as long as you press firmly on the case holder. You can get a stand through Sinclair that does that for you, but it takes the cost up. The basic Wilson unit is also the least expensive, at 31.50 without any case holders, but it costs the most per chambering, at $6.50 per case holder. The case holders will cross some calibers if the parent cases are the same. .30-06, .25-06, 270 Winchester, and 280 Remington all use the same holder, for example. A list is here. These are available from either Bruno or Sinclair.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 31, 2008, 06:35 PM   #5
T.A.Sharps

What about the little Lee or Lyman (not sure which) case trimmers that are two little parts you hold together by hand and spin, the case sets in the shell holder with a "pin" that goes up through the primer hole, and the trimmer sets on top of it at the length it need trimed too?

I'm not relaoding yet, but if you only do a few calibers it seems pretty easy if it works.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:29 AM   #6
cheezhed

I use the lee trimmer a lot, it seems to hold the lengths a lot closer than my rcbs trimmer
Old April 1, 2008, 01:48 AM   #7
mniesen89

I use the lyman universal case trimmer, great tool if you have the power tool adapter.