The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 3, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Amsdorf

Midway's Gun Stories: The Garand

Anyone catch Midway's Gun Stories last night?

M1 Garand was featured.

What did you think?

Overall, by far, the best show on the Garand, I've ever seen broadcast.

Here are some things I noticed/liked/disagreed with:
  • I loved the ulta slow motion shots, throughout the show, really beautiful, as usual. One of the best things about these shows. They slowed it WAY
  • down to show the clip ejection, fantastic.
  • They goofed up the pronunciation of John Garand's name. They should have known better.
  • I found it interesting when the guy shooting it, offhand, in one scene, was doing so with shoulders pretty much squared toward the target, tremendous recoil control, which is very obvious in both slow motion and the rapid fire sequences.
  • Couple times they showed M1 Carbines, instead of Garands.
  • Great scene with WWII veteran, Mr. Gonzalez, who said, "Other than my two brothers, the Garand was my best friend."
  • They totally blasted the "ping" myth. "Pure bunk" ... so much shooting going on, so many things flying around, you are not going to hear a "ping" when you have fifty soldiers shooting! The idea is nto to run out of the ammo at the same time.
  • Nice shout out for the CMP. Encouragement to buy one, sooner than later. Some misinformation about who can buy one, unfortunately. But still a great shout out.
  • Great quote: "If you are a true American patriot and love guns, you must own a Garand."
  • Best quote, from editor of American Rifleman
"The thing about the American Rifleman, armed with the US Rifle Cal .30, M1, is eight rounds at a time, he did nothing less, than save the world."

I've never watched a gun show that brought tears to my eyes, this one did. Perfect choice for broadcast during the week of July 4.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Mals9

I missed the first 15 minutes but enjoyed what I did see. I agree about the slow motion video, just great.

Mals
Old July 4, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
mpd61

It's on again today!!!

Outdoor Channel today (4th July) @ 14:30 and 20:00 hours Don't miss it!
Old July 4, 2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Amsdorf

I just wish DirecTV delivered the Outdoor Channel in HD. It's stupid that they don't.

If/when they sell a Bluray boxed set of the shows, I'll be first in line.
Old July 5, 2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Amsdorf

Oddly enough we agonized over that pronunciation! Our experts were pretty much evenly split. Joe, co-producer Tim Cremin and I finally decided to use the same pronunciation as George Patton. Was my call in the end, and I still think I was right.

Was great fun shooting all the guns with Joe! We do a lot of The filming at GUNSITE because 1) we like GUNSITE a lot and 2) the specialty cameras EAT light, and the high desert pretty much guarantees us sunlight all the time. We use 3-4 4-foot square mirrors to pour light onto the subject for the ultra high speed stuff.

Next week's Thompson episode is EPIC! I think we're going to put it in for an Emmy just to creep Hollywood out!

Michael B

Michael Bane
Executive Producer
GUN STORIES, SHOOTING GALLERY, THE BEST DEFENSE, RAPID FIRE, TBD/SURVIVAL, ELITE TACTICAL UNIT, DOWN RANGE Television (www.downrange.tv), DOWN RANGE Radio