The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
chipchip

Target Scope

How much power is enough to target shoot at 300 yards I'm thinking a fixed 12x would be enough. Would like input on this. Have till spring to make a decision.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
kahrguy

I might depend on how serious your looking to shoot and do you still hunt with the same rifle. Also the target target you shoot at can help groups size. I have a nice custom hunting rifle and use a old 3.8-12 scope. It will shoot some very small 400 yards groups on a target like this- http://www.about-shooting.com/images...-in_target.png

I can't expect to shoot well at a simple black dot at long range any more

Would it change just for a target / match use. You bet ya. 24 to 32 power.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
cw308

If target only 24X - 36X. What caliber. Varible scopes 4.5X14X40 Bushnell 6X24X40. Want the scope to sit as low as possible & clear bolt lift. Hope I helped. I'm a benchrest shooter, Rem. 700 LTR 308 cal. set up only for target shooting. Installed the full HS Percision Stock, Bed the action with Devcon, changed the trigger to a Jewell 10 oz. Installed a muzzle brake to stop muzzle from rising 20" brl. rifle is a pleasure to shoot. By the best scope and mounts you can afford
Old December 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

Since the scope only provides a sighting reference any power is usable. 12X would certainly work. For competition many shooters use 16x and higher to better see the target center. The downside of high magnification is when the mirage is particularly heavy. It's like looking through a fish bowl. Probably more important would be a scope that has exceptional tracking and repeatability. Big target knobs with solid click stops would be another important feature. The reticle would be the choice of the shooter but the single dot is popular.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100