The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

like playing the lottery... where are you winning ???

so I got the e-mail from Midway earlier this year, celebrating, that they now have 1,000,000 active customers so far this year... so I look at it like winning the lottery, if I get a notification that a reloading component ( or ammo for that matter ) has come in, & I actually get to buy it, before it sells out...

so many people are having a tough time getting components... thought if there was a thread showing that people are actually getting stuff, maybe it would cut down on some of the panic buying... from some of the reading, you'd think there is nothing out there...

... 3rd times a charm for Gold Dot .355 bullets at Midway... the 1st 2 times I tried to order within 20 minutes of receiving the e-mail, & they were sold out... got lucky enough the 3rd time to see the e-mail pop in, & ordered right away... was finally able to get 2 boxes, at "normal" prices...

I've had good luck at Cabela's ( after talking to a customer service person ) the stuff comes in, when it does, & they restock at night, best luck is to show up at opening during the week... I was able to get primers ( I bought 4,000 each of 2 sizes I was really short on ), even bought a bulk pak of match 22 ammo all at a reasonable price...

so... where have you been winning at component lotto ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 19, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Clark

The hoarding habit may have looked like a mental illness, until the shortages happen.

Now us former nut cases are examples of wisdom.

During the primer shortage of 2008 -2010, I did charity work.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Yesterday, 07:55 AM #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Posts: 6,801 like playing the lottery... where are you winning ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opportunities come in the form of a phone call, goes something like “Do you need any powder, primers, bullets, or cases?” The question is always followed by a long list of thousands of cases, bullets, primers, and pounds of powder. For the most part I use Federal primers, I made an exception and purchased Winchester and Remington primers because of the opportunity, it is not easy to look organized with all those different sizes of boxes, and with the Winchester and Remington boxes there is always room left over.

I called a couple of other reloaders in the area, they took interest in a few pounds of powder. Bullets, lots of bullets, he had thousands of 9mm 147 grain hollow points, I purchased 100 (JIC), my friend called back and said he had a buyer for the rest but wanted to know if I had an interest in adding to the 100. with no interest from my ‘bulk buying’ friends, I passed.

The Tulsa Gun Show is a big event around, looks like my friend is deciding on what components he will be taking to the Tulsa show.

F. Guffey
Old March 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Today, 12:45 AM #2
Clark

Posts: 1,917 The hoarding habit may have looked like a mental illness, until the shortages happen.

I was in Yonkers, NY., the proud owner of this magnificent iron and metal yard had 22,000 +++ brass cases in 30/30, 45 ACP, 9MM, 223 Remington, 10mm and 38 Special +P, he made me a deal, I purchases all of it for (a lot) less than I could have purchases a thousand new 45 ACP cases.

The cases were in barrels not yet separated from the boxes the ammo was shipped in. Then there was the 50/50 tin/lead bars, and the lead metal sheets used beneath the toilet and showers complete with the wax seal that was installed between the black sewer pipe and toilet. Nothing like purchasing lead complete with flux.

F. Guffey

Hording? Who was I competing with, the cases could have gone overseas. Then there was the flea market, 1,400 once fired 30/06 military cases, price? $14.00, or I cent each, no reloader wanted to clean the cases as in spend 4 days tumbling, this was before the change of heart among reloaders, that was back when they did not use an acid to clean cases, again, 15 minutes soaking in vinegar got the cases clean enough to load and shoot, I tumbled for soaking for 2 hours after rinsing. . Back to the iron and metal yard, he had 4 belts of linked 800 30/06 cases, I did not need the links, but again, he made me a deal.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
kraigwy

I don't think the present drought is totally about hording.

Think about it, its been said that Americans have bought enough guns the last three months to outfit the total Chinese and Indian Army's.

I don't know if that is true or not but I do know there has been a lot of guns bought lately, and many are first time gun buyers.

You get that many more people buying guns, they need ammo, so they are going to buy what they can, which means a run on ammo, but not necessarily Hording.

Presonally I think that's (more people buying guns) is a good deal, it adds numbers which helps our cause.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 20, 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Today 10:46 AM
kraigwy I don't think the present drought is totally about hording.

Think about it, its been said that Americans have bought enough guns the last three months to outfit the total Chinese and Indian Army's.

I don't know if that is true or not but I do know there has been a lot of guns bought lately, and many are first time gun buyers.

You get that many more people buying guns, they need ammo, so they are going to buy what they can, which means a run on ammo, but not necessarily Hording.

Personally I think that's (more people buying guns) is a good deal, it adds numbers which helps our cause.
Today 10:43 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If none of that is true, it sounds good about the outfitting of large armies. And, it could be said there are hoarders and winners, the winners are those that had the same opportunity to put components away when they had a chance and did not ‘put anything away’. Hording is not without logic, think of the grass hopper and the ants, I know, the story about the grass hopper and the ants started with ‘Once upon a time’ as in it never happened.

Then there is experience, I do not have a piece of equipment that cost less today than it did 10 years ago, meaning I could not afford to replace my equipment at todays prices. A good sale on components would start with “Components on sale toady at 1995 prices.

F. Guffey
Old March 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Barbicatter

Magnum Wheel Man
Quote:
I've been lucky, My local ACE has keep the majority my components are in stock. The only thing I've been short on is rifle powder, and I have that on backorder @ MidsouthShootersSupply.

F. Guffey
Quote:

Personally I think that's (more people buying guns) is a good deal, it adds numbers which helps our cause.
I agree new firearms sale means more ammo sales. I believe, eventually the manufacturers will caught up to the demand. Meantime we will have to be patient.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Barbicatter, forgive, that was a quote from a quote from kraigwy.

F. Guffey
Old March 20, 2013, 04:12 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I have more than 30 product notifications set up with Midway. (Some have been in place for up to 4 years.)
The last time they sent me a notification was about 3 months ago.
Apparently, the components I'm waiting on are extremely unpopular, or Midway still has a long backorder list from times past, when they actually stocked the items.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Beentown71

I have been finding a bit here and there. I am happy to say I have enough components to load some of each that I plan on loading. Just waiting until I have the basement finished so I can spray my bench (paint it). I will have all my electrical ran at that time also.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 20, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11
serf 'rett

Felt like a jackpot winner this week. Picked up an AR15 on Monday that had just arrived at Walmart. Then while traveling yesterday I dropped by a small store and found they had a pile of CCI 500 small pistol primers sitting on a shelf, along with other assorted primers. I picked up 4K, but there was over 20K still left. All this comes after finding 1675 rounds of .22 last week.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:53 AM   #12
hooligan1

It's trickling, the component stream here, and I do not want for anything, except warmer weather, so I can go to the range.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:31 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

Midway has been sending me 2-3 notices a day, so I'm missing out on a lot of it... I'm at the point now of waiting till once or twice a week, so I'm only paying shipping for twice a week shipments ( I could literally be getting a shipment a day, but would almost be paying hype prices, by the time I add shipping to the cost )... that is unless it's something I really "need" right away...