The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2013, 03:21 PM   #76
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Everyone knows a hit in the finger with a .45 will take your arm off.
Only if you rack the slide several times while you're wandering around in the dark warehouse, AND if you hold the gun sideways, parallel to the floor.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 10, 2013, 04:09 PM   #77
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Only if you rack the slide several times while you're wandering around in the dark warehouse, AND if you hold the gun sideways, parallel to the floor.
Our quarterdeck watch did that when he was sent to investigate a man with a gun up forward. He pulled his 45 and started to work the slide on his way up the starboard side. The young man left a trail of cartridges on the deck behind him, apparently he was a little nervous. When he got to the disturbance he had an empty gun. A visiting chaplain took out the gunman. Good thing he was there. All he wanted to do was have breakfast with a friend of his.

Melinda Herman and her husband Donnie had been to the range recently. Bad luck for Mr. Slater, She was on the phone with her husband and he told her to shoot him if he opened the door. Slater did and she did. I don't really care what kind of gun it was or what kind of bullets she used. She was ready, her 9 year old twins are safe and this is one home bad guys would do well to scratch off their list of places to go.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/2053...-home-invasion
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #78
Nanuk

Quote:
Melinda Herman and her husband Donnie had been to the range recently. Bad luck for Mr. Slater, She was on the phone with her husband and he told her to shoot him if he opened the door. Slater did and she did. I don't really care what kind of gun it was or what kind of bullets she used. She was ready, her 9 year old twins are safe and this is one home bad guys would do well to scratch off their list of places to go.
ABSOLUTELY!
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:17 AM   #79
Skadoosh

Quote:
Quote:
That cracks me up.
And why is that? That I am not impressed with the results I have seen and history?
Yup.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:35 PM   #80
Nanuk

^^^^^^^^^^^

To me your opinion the matter sounds like you are saying " Believe me not your lying eye's". If I HAD to use a 38 it would be loaded with +P 158 LSWC's or +P+ 147 JHP's.

None of the shootings I have seen with 38's have been impressive at all. Where do you gain your perspective and opinion Skad? If you let me know what lead you to base your opinion thus maybe we can discuss it.

Either way 5 shots into the BG and some bluffing stopped the fight.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:49 PM   #81
Skadoosh

Sigh...

One would suspect that a person with your experience would know that where the bullet lands is a lot more important than what the bullet is. Train to make the bullets land where you want and even a hit from the lowly 22LR will kill a person where they stand.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #82
Microgunner

A friend of mine shot a home intruder once in the chest with .38spl. standard pressure from a 2" barrel and the intruder turned and dropped dead on the spot.
He didn't even hardly bleed.
Shot placement is everything.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:50 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh:
Train to make the bullets land where you want and even a hit from the lowly 22LR will kill a person where they stand.
Yes, it's not what you hit with, but rather what you hit. Immediate incapacitation requires a hit to the CNS or a vascular structure that will produce a precipitous drop in blood pressure that results in unconsciousness.

Unfortunately, there are those who'll always be looking for a bullet that produces that mythical "100% one-shot-stop" regardless of what part of the human body it hits. Ammunition design can never compensate for ammunition placement.

Last edited by 481; January 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #84
seeker_two

Media has given us little to go on here....esp. on what type of ammo was used. I'll bet she was using cheap range ammo....probably 130gr. FMJ. This is why, even when I buy range ammo, I try to buy something effective enough to use for SD in a pinch....158gr SWC or inexpensive "white box" HP's.

I wonder what would have happened had she been using a Judge or Governor with 000 buckshot loads instead. The wound patterns would have been.....interesting, to say the least....
Old January 12, 2013, 01:12 PM   #85
TheDoubleDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
I wonder what would have happened had she been using a Judge or Governor with 000 buckshot loads instead. The wound patterns would have been.....interesting, to say the least....
Hickok45 did a little shooting with the Judge. At 3 to 7 yards it was putting massive holes where all three copper discs out of the Winchester PDX ammo were creating very tight, powerful groups. I highly doubt the perpetrator would have survived!
Old January 12, 2013, 06:41 PM   #86
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Angel Alvarez, 23, survived getting shot once by his friend and 20 more times by New York City police. Ain't the gun or the bullet but where the bullet goes.

By the way that was the same shootout where police hit 6 bystanders.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...nfight.231689/
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 12, 2013, 06:48 PM   #87
therealdeal

there are vast differences in ammo and many don't know this

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are those who'll always be looking for a bullet that produces that mythical "100% one-shot-stop" regardless of what part of the human body it hits. Ammunition design can never compensate for ammunition placement.
though what you are stating is correct, it doesn't change the fact that ammo does play a huge factor in hunting, self-defense, home-defense, accuracy with distance shooting, etc.

the law has always been something to the effect that you are firing a deadly weapon whether you are shooting birdshot or 00buck. I choose to always give careful consideration to the ammo I shoot with. I want the most out of an emergency situation since I have been made to make the decision to draw.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #88
Nanuk

Skadoosh and 481 you are missing my point.

It is just as much luck than skill where bullets land. A (gun) fight is dynamic, it is not static. I have seen people shot and killed and wounded with many common calibers. Low power rounds do unpredictable things in people. I went to one shooting and the guy answered the door with a 380 bullet stuck in his forehead, I have also seen major bones shattered by 380's.

When you get into the Hot 9mm's and the magnums they are MUCH more predictable. Lots of cops have been killed by 25 ACP's, it happens.

In the case of our mommy, (according to media reports) she shot him through both lungs, the liver, the face and he STILL drove away after she bluffed him into thinking she had more rounds available and escaped. How much better shot placement do you want? If the bullet lacks the power to disrupt the CNS ie; penetrate the skull or lacks the power to do enough tissue damage to achieve "rapid blood pressure loss" then you are out of luck.

There have been documented failures with every caliber. That is why I carry the most powerful gun I can shoot well and conceal. It may not be much, but I will take any advantage I can get, no matter how slight.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:46 PM   #89
Glenn E. Meyer

It isn't true that much of the brain isn't used. That is an old myth from the early days of localization that lacked the techniques we have today. It's active all over its structures.

However, the structures can be very specialized and unless you disable ones that directly deal with life support as in the hindbrain, you can survive but lose specific functions. You can compensate for some but some leave permanent disabilities.

Damage to the cerebral cortex can be survived - the classic case of Phineas Gage shows someone who took a shot in the head far surpassing a gun round and survived but with severe personality changes.

Children can have an entire hemisphere removed and survive and have fairly normal language.

So a shot to the brain is like saying a shot to the torso - if it doesn't take out a vital function, you still can be in the fight or carry out actions if you don't quit.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:16 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal:
though what you are stating is correct, it doesn't change the fact that ammo does play a huge factor in hunting, self-defense, home-defense, accuracy with distance shooting, etc.
I never said that ammo choice doesn't play a part, but ammo construction is not the only factor effecting the outcome of defensive shootings. I simply said that there are folks out there who seem to think that they can compensate for poor shot placement by loading the newest "whiz-bang" design in their magazines. We've seen a little of that in this thread (whether those who've done it wish to admit it or not) and elsewhere on these forums when others quote as truthful and/or valid the thoroughly debunked "works" of Marshall & Sanow- yes, there are folks who still subscribe to this day to such nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal:
I choose to always give careful consideration to the ammo I shoot with. I want the most out of an emergency situation since I have been made to make the decision to draw.
I would hope so. I prefer to take advantage of every benefit that I can get, too, no matter how small it may seem.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:41 AM   #91
baccusboy

FYI:

If anyone thinks the Taurus Judge is a good self-defense weapon with anything but .45LC, they need to read this:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41_3.htm

There is also a 2nd review he did with one of the longer-barreled Judges (performed far better). The buckshot out of the Judge does not penetrate nearly far enough (due to the short barrel and lack of velocity). And those PDX-1 defense loads aren't going to do any better. The buck flattens-out too much, as well.

Go with the .45LC in your gun if you want to use a Judge for SD.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:10 AM   #92
TheDoubleDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
FYI:

If anyone thinks the Taurus Judge is a good self-defense weapon with anything but .45LC, they need to read this
Your post piqued my curiosity, so I checked out the second review you mentioned:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53_2.htm

The 000 buck, 00 buck and slugs all reached the 12" mark.. Sure, it wasn't always 100% of the projectiles penetrating twelve inches, but I don't think 45LC is the ONLY viable round. A group of 00 buck in the face sounds like it would be pretty devastating. Just my .02
Old January 13, 2013, 02:24 AM   #93
Chowder

Quote:
all I really gained from my experience is guns and bullets do weird things.
I have worked In the operating room In the military and part time in civilian trauma centers and from what I have seen this statement hits the nail on the head.

One of the most interesting I saw was a teen who was trying to take a "funny" picture with a .22 pistol in his nose and shot himself. The bullet ended up stopping at the inside of the top of his skull and until he went in for surgery he was talking.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:09 AM   #94
Skadoosh

Quote:
Skadoosh and 481 you are missing my point.
No, Nanuk, I am not missing your point. As you said yourself, there are documented failures for every caliber. Failures to hit a critically vital spot of the target's anatomy is the point. I know that my 38spl will be effective if I do my part, gunfight dynamics and all, to ensure proper bullet placement.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:12 AM   #95
baccusboy

To TheDoubleDeuce:

The 000 did not reach the 12 inch mark. They were estimated at 9 to 12 inches. With the 00 buck, only one of 5 pellets from the Judge made it to the 12 to 15 inch mark. All others were stopped in earlier jugs.

Don't mix up the Judge results with the long shotgun barrel:

Quote:
3. The longer barrel of the 28 inch shotgun made quite a difference in penetration. It seems that the short 3 inch barrel of the Judge is its main limitation.

4. Even at 7 yards, the pattern of the Judge is too wide, and will cause some of the load to miss a bad guy. Not only are you responsible for every pellet you send down range, but if they miss him, they do not Stop him.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:16 AM   #96
Skadoosh

Baccus, why don't you take the Judge discussion to it's own thread instead of veering this discussion off topic?
Old January 14, 2013, 10:57 AM   #97
L_Killkenny

Quote:
One would suspect that a person with your experience would know that where the bullet lands is a lot more important than what the bullet is. Train to make the bullets land where you want and even a hit from the lowly 22LR will kill a person where they stand.
Anyone who's ever read what anything I've written knows I don't think it takes a howitzer to "stop" a threat. As a matter of fact when it comes to the animal world I think most of us are pretty much wuss's. It's our minds that get in the way. But you'll see I high-lighted a portion of your statement which for all practical purposes is bunk. Where you hit is not "a lot" more important than what you hit with. Yes, the old adage a hit with a .22lr is better than a miss with a .44 is true. But a hit with a .44 trumps a hit with a .22 every time (location being the same). Same for a bullet of proper constuction for the job at hand vs. the wrong choice. I don't care if it's the arm, the belly, the head or the heart what you hit with does count. If it didn't I'd be deer and coyote hunting with a .22.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:19 PM   #98
peacefulgary

Quote:
Lots of cops have been killed by 25 ACP's, it happens.
Maybe so, but I don't care if my assailant dies or not....I want my assailant to be STOPPED ASAP.

It does me no good for me to shoot my attacker with a .25 auto, and then my attacker beat me to death with a baseball bat, and die two hours later in the local ER.

Don't let anyone try to tell you that the .22 or .25 from a handgun are good "man stoppers".
They're not!
Old January 14, 2013, 04:01 PM   #99
godot

I watched the initial reports on some local channel and the anchorman called the gun a 36 caliber. The on site reporter referred to it as a 38. Someone on this thread said it could even have been a .380.
I have seen a number of threads and articles about what knife or gun to get for the "little woman". I don't think if I refereed to one of my female friends as a "little woman", I'd want her to have access to a weapon of any kind for a few hours. At any rate most of these discussions tend to come to the conclusion that a woman should have something with no recoil and preferably in pink.

I'm guessing whatever the caliber, the husband opted for the easiest (read low recoil) for his wife. This unfortunately would probably also be the weakest version.

The sheriff said that "She reportedly fired all six rounds, missing only once. The other shots hit Slater about the face and neck." About the face and neck can mean anything including the ear and shoulder. This is different than five shots to the face.

At any rate this has caused me to rethink my carry gun when my state issues CCWs.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:07 PM   #100
Stephanie B

Quote:
But if you know a bad guy is coming though the door and two firearms are on the table next to you, one a .38,9mm,or .380 & the other a .40, .44, or .45, which will you grab?
Probably whichever is closest.
Closed Thread