The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2008, 08:09 PM   #1
MadMoose

Barrel De-Resonator & Reloading?

Has anyone tried a De-Resonator to help fine tune your hand loads?
I have a Winchester mdl 70 classic 7mm Rem mag with a BOSS (ballistic optimizing shooting system) and I would guess the De-Resonator works the same way?. I like the way I can dial in my groups with the "Boss" and have thought about getting a couple De-Resonator's for my other hunting rifles. Any thoughts
Pros-cons?

MM
Old May 30, 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Ifishsum

My personal opinion is that the De-Resonator might be helpful for tuning factory loads, but if you handload you're accomplishing the same thing by fine tuning your loads for accuracy. The De-Resonator just adds another variable to the equation and I certainly wouldn't use it while working up a load. It might be worth trying after you've found the most accurate load for that particular rifle, but I kind of doubt it would help at that point. YMMV.
Old May 30, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Sidetracked

The value of a deresonator, in theory, is that you can work your reloads up for velocity only. Then, once you are satisfied with velocity, you can turn your attention to the accuracy and 'tune' the gun to that load.