The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

7_30 Waters fire forming---Heavy bullets

I am getting ready to "create" some 7-30 Waters brass for my new to me Contender Super 14 barrel. I have read of problems with head separation when using once fired 30-30 brass. So I ordered a batch of Privi new 30-30 brass.
I also ordered a box of Siearra 120 gr. Pro Hunter bullets which will most likely be the bullets I will end up developing a load with for deer hunting.
It seems these components are a bit hard to find, and somewhat pricey. So I don't want to just shoot them up in fire forming if I can find another way.
Enter two old boxes of Hornady 175 gr. round nose .284 bullets. I bought them probably 20 years ago for possible use in my 7MM Rem. Magnum. But mainly because a guy wanted to get rid of them, and only wanted five bucks a box.
I did find some loads for the 175 gr. Hornady in the Complete Reloading Manual for T/C Contender. There is a load using IMR 4064 which I happen to have an unopened can of.
Now the question.
1. Does anybody have experience with this heavy bullet in a Super 14 'Tender
2. Will the starting load of 26.5 gr./IMR4064 be enough to get a good fire formed case, or do I need to bump it up a bit? The max load listed is 29.8gr.
I seated one of the bullets in a necked down once fired 30-30 case, and seated to about the center of the cannelure it chambered OK in my barrel.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2015, 04:49 PM   #2
hoghunting

When going through fireforming and load development for my 14" 7-30 T/C barrel, I had the same concerns. I use 120g Nosler BT with RL-15 and began with newly formed brass and a recommended starting load. Not only was that load accurate, it had enough velocity for hunting. So I loaded up with the starting load, and when the cases were fireformed, I worked on getting the most accurate loading.
Old February 14, 2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Snyper

I never tried any 175's but I used some 160's to fireform 7 mm IR loads

I never shot them at paper, but the were consistantly deadly on drink cans at 100 yds
Old February 16, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Greg Mercurio

You should do a little research on fire forming. Way back when Bob Milek and Steve Herrett were developing the .30 and .357 Herrett rounds they also developed the fire forming methodology to extend case life. Necking down the case to form a false shoulder in steps to the point that the barrel will just close with a little effort will keep all manner of bad stuff from happening. Bullet weights/styles are irrelevant to the forming operation. Powders are also not critical. Load whatever you have at the starting charge level for whatever bullets you have appropriate to this round and form away.