The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2001, 01:50 PM   #1
imq707s

I have a Ruger Mark 2 all-weather in 7mm Rem Mag. Last weekend at the local 100yd range I shot a box of Remington Core-Loct 140gr. ammo though it. I was getting pretty good 1.5" groups at 100yrds, but 2 shells out of the box seemed to be really far off (3 inches to left or right). What would cause this to happen? Could it have been bad, or incorrect ammounts of powder? Or was it most likely the shooters falt(me)? Thanks.
Old January 10, 2001, 01:58 AM   #2
The Maz

I'd expect that it was either a case of an impact change due to a clean bore (remember, the first round or 2 from a clean barrel will usually hit to a different impact point than subsequent rounds after the bore has some fouling in it) or a bit of shooter error.

Whenever I take a rifle to the range, I fire three rounds just to settle in before seriously trying to shoot groups or sight in, and afterwards don't clean the bore if I intend to use the rifle (esp for hunting) in the near future afterwards.