The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 30, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
native57

Going on my first hunt...

And I am going to buy my first hunting rifle.

I want a 30-06 and I have a budget of $500.

I don't care if its new or used.

I know that Savage and maybe a Remington 700 are in my price range.

Any other suggestions? Opinions? Factors I should think of when I make my purchase?

Thank you.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Dallas Jack

Weatherby Vanguard synthetic for $399. Well built accurate rifle.
Dallas Jack
Old August 30, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
jmr40

Vanguard is a good rifle, but in that price range I would look hard at the Marlin XL-7 as well.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Rem700cdl

Savage has those package deals now that comes with scopes and mounts and and everything. Remington as well I believe. My personal opinion is that they feel like crap. Sloppy sticky actions and the synthetic stock feels like you should be standing in dollarama versus a gun store. However I've been told they shoot straight (I've never shot one).

My choice mid priced rifle is a Rem 700. Look for a used one. I just bought my first rifle (Remington 700 CDL chambered for 30-06) and I love it so I am probably being somewhat bias. These rifles are also more than 500$. Plus you'll need to buy optics and junk.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
The Kid

Check your local pawn shop

I was in your same situation a few weeks ago

If you have any decently run pawnshops, I'd check with them.

I bought a Remington 700 ADL .30-06. Talked them down to $400 out of the door. It came w/ a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 Scope. And the salesman threw in a sling and Flamebeau gun case. And I'm very happy with it. The only problem is that there is a little rust inside the breech near the barrel, but the thing shoots true, so I'm okay w/ that. It has some wear (not excessive) on the wooden stock from use, but hey that's a good sign to me because it means that the gun was used well.

Just be careful though, and ask what their return policy is. Please keep us updated on your hunt for your rifle and hunt!

Good luck!

Edit: Watch out for the Remington 710s...my pawnshop had a lot of them...they're cheaper for a reason. Haggle with them and pit pawnshops against each other in a price war. You should do well depending on wear you live.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf." -- Leader of a group of horsemen to the kid and Sproule in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by The Kid; August 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: addendum
Old August 30, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
fast-eddie

Rifle

Chances are you'll find a nice rifle on the used racks at your local gun store. I just found a m99 savage in 300 for $299, it's a great rifle. This is your best bet for a better quality rifle in that price range. .
Old August 30, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
gbran

Something to remember about used '06's. These aren't plinking rifles and most used guns will have relatively few rounds thru them, as most people run some rounds thru them to sight them in, then a few rounds during hunting season. Even after several years, this is still pretty low usage.

With your budget, I'd look for a better quality used gun.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:13 AM   #8
taylorce1

What will you be hunting with this rifle?

Don't limit yourself to just one caliber even though .30-06 is a great first choice. .308 and .270 would be good alternatives if you find the right deal on a new or used rifle.

Marlin XL7 and Stevens 200 will give you a new rifle for around $300. I would go with the Marlin as it has a better trigger to start with IMO. Look at Wal-Mart you might find a Rem 700 ADL or Savage with scope for less than $500. Those cheap scopes will work for awhile until you can save money for a new one.

Like said before I would avoid Rem M710, but I would add Mossberg ATR and 4X4 rifles as well.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:21 AM   #9
Waterengineer

Remington 700 BDL, Weatherby Vanguard and the young guys seem to like the Tikka.

TaylorCE is right about the caliber thing but starting with a 30-06 is smart. Very flexible.
Old August 31, 2009, 06:23 AM   #10
MEATSAW

My good friend just bought his first hunting rifle this past week: a barely used Rem 700 BDL with Weaver 3-9x scope, hard case, soft case, leather sling all for $541. I thought this was a fantastic deal on a great rifle chambered in .243 Win certainly a great beginner deer/varmint round. If you look for it, there is a good deal out there for a good rifle. Just keep your eyes peeled!
Old August 31, 2009, 07:05 AM   #11
MosinM38

Go to a gunshop and check everything.

WHatever companies you cannot get new for that price, you can probably find used. All depends on what feels comfortable
Old August 31, 2009, 11:41 PM   #12
native57

Thanks for all the insight everyone.

Up till now I had thought that purchasing a rifle from a pawn shop was a bad idea. However, I assume that since all rifles are produced in the same place it wouldn't really matter where I bought the rifle from. In addition the couple of gun shops I have been too only had AR 15's and AK's with maybe one or two hunting rifles all of which seemed overly expensive.

I have lots of leg work to do now. I'm going to call all the pawn shops and gun stores and see what they have.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Savage makes a great rifle. I prefer their wood stock rifles to the plastic ones as the plastic stocks to feel "cheap" to me.

I'd avoid the package rifle if you can as well. The rings and scope that come in the package is pretty terrible and you'll replace them any way so if you can find just the rifle and it's cheaper, it makes more sense to go that route than buying a package.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
I'd avoid the package rifle if you can as well. The rings and scope that come in the package is pretty terrible and you'll replace them any way so if you can find just the rifle and it's cheaper, it makes more sense to go that route than buying a package
He's right. The scopes that come in the package are crap. In fact, you'll spend more on a quality scope than you will for a basic hunting rifle. For a first timer, a quality used package is your best bet.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:05 PM   #15
native57

I have been doing some leg work and found a Ruger M77 mark II within my price range. How do those compare to the Remington 700's or Savage 110's?

Also, the Remington 700 ADL, what does the ADL stand for?
Old September 1, 2009, 10:38 PM   #16
penceman

I have an ADL in .270 and I'm about to get rid of it. I got it for $300 brand new. After using it for the past year I've realized that I want something a little better. The trigger is a little too hard for my liking, non-adjustable and it doesnt have a floor plate which gets annoying after a while. Compared to my new SPS Varmint, it doesn't cycle cartridges as well.

I would look for a newer used 700, like a BDL, CDL, or an SPS.

Ruger is also a good choice. My dad has hunted with Ruger's his entire life and swears by them.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:43 AM   #17
Sgt.Fathead

Friend from Tucson was up north in AZ recently; your Cabela's outfitter has racks of good used hunting rifles and used means lightly used. As someone pointed out earlier, hunting guns usually get zeroed and then used to put meat on the table and trophies on walls. A box of rounds could be it for a year's time, maybe less.

I like the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in .308 myself, so if you go new, check it out in .30-06....but I'd be willing to bet you could get a good deal on a nice used gun with glass for the same price (though not a top of the line scope).

As an afterthought, have you considered a single shot H&R rifle?http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp

Second one down, or the third if you like stainless. Get a nice scope and away you go!
Old September 2, 2009, 05:49 AM   #18
taylorce1

The ADL which I don't remember what it stands for is Remingtons basic model rifle. I had three of these rifles, two .270 Win and one .30-06. The triggers on all three I had were adjustable, and I had all but one of them adjusted at a local gunsmith for $35. The two that I shot were very accurate and I killed my first and only black bear with the .30-06. I wound up trading all the rifles for others I wanted more so I don't currently own a M700 but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:40 AM   #19
jmr40

If you can afford the Ruger buy it. It will be the better rifle in the long run.