The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
suburbanjim

Nutria hunt in LA - need guide

Greetings - I'm trying to put together a nutria hunt for some folks from Houston. I've been unable to find anybody who can do a guided hunt for us - if anybody knows somebody who does this (would prefer southwest LA), I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance, Jim
Old March 24, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2
javven

look for a smallish sporting goods store in bayou country and make a call. ask if they know someone who's got a nutria problem and could use some spare coin.
Old March 27, 2010, 04:22 AM   #3
troy_mclure

ive looked into it before.

right now there is a bounty on nutria($5). and only land holders can cash in.

i talked to several places that were complaining of levee damage by the nutrias, ALL wanted me to pay to help them out. one even wanted $750py to ONLY hunt nutria.

if you want to go on a hunt, forget private land/leases, talk to a game warden/ranger about wildlife preserves/state land.

they will know where the nutrias live in their regions, and may be able to recommend somebody to take you out.

or you could try the army corp. of engineers, they are always fighting the nutrias that tunnel the levees. you can get a special permit to shoot them on c.o.e. land, but may be restricted on choice of cartridge.

i ended up just giving up as i decided it wasn't worth the hassle just to kill some soggy rats.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 29, 2010, 05:29 PM   #4
publius

You don't need to go to Louisiana, go find some rice farmers in South Texas. There's plenty in Texas.
Old March 30, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
10-96

Pardon me for butting in, but those are the little orange toothed critters, right? What is the usual 'nutria' rifle? Hornet, .223, .204?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Tuzo

Nutria are the size of beavers but without a flat tail. The first nutria I saw had almost blaze orange teeth that I thought was a single genetic mutation until you learn that all have orange teeth. The teeth become orange from eating marsh grass with Cajun seasoning.

Jefferson Parish deputies killed nutria with .22LR's.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:40 PM   #7
troy_mclure

they range from cat to large beaver size, but are easily killed.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Hog Buster

First of all Nutria is what the fur is called, the animal is a Coypu. Here in south Louisiana they’re mostly called “Neutrals” by us Cajuns.

They’ve got the big orange teeth from biting Texans who duck hunt our marshes. Noted for hiding in duck blinds and attacking out of staters who invade their territories during Teal season.

The large short tailed ones are the worst. After a severe winter lots have their tails frozen off and they become POed at the drop of a hat. Note: This last winter it was damn cold here and snowed twice, so the “neutrals” are probably very POed and tailless at this point.

If I was of a mind to hunt them I wouldn’t use anything smaller than a 45/70. There’s nothing more frightening than a charge from a “Bull Neutral” who has a short tail. Grunting and gnashing his orange teeth it’s sight you won’t forget. If you do hunt them and are successful they taste just like rabbit, just don’t eat the tail, it’s bad Gris-gris. Good luck and safe hunting.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:55 AM   #9
10-96

Thank the Lord for Cajuns- great story tellin' there man!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.