The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 16, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1
WacosSon

7mm mauser load

Hey all:

Just obtained a 7mm custom built rifle with a mauser 98 action. the action was originally from the korean war. Beautiful firearm, but I'm not a ballistics junkie, and rather than blow up a gorgeous gun, I'll stick to asking questions.

Is it safe to put any 7mm load thru this gun, or do I need to stick with the Federal or Remington 7mm Mauser loads that I'm finding?
Old September 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
jimbob86

What nation used k98 in the Korean War? Just curious....
Old September 16, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Fat White Boy

The Turks and ChiComs.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Major Dave (retired)

The Mauser 98 action

is reputed to be a strong action, but not the 93, 95, or 96 actions. Just be sure you really do have the 98. And have a gunsmith check out your specific 98 for safety. You don't say if yours was customized by a well known firm/person, or just another home hobbiest/wanna be gunsmith.

That being said, you can certainly shoot 7X57 mm loads with higher velocities than the run of the mill Rem, Win, Fed, Hornady, etc. factory loads.

What is your source for the other loads - European factory loads, private handloads, or some other source?

I personally handload my 7X57, using data from several loading manuals, and find I can safely achieve velocities about 300 fps faster than American factory loads, according to my chronograph. I load and shoot only 139/140 grain bullets, mostly Hornady Interlocks.
Old September 17, 2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Scorch

Federal makes a little more reasonable 7X57 ammo than Remington does. Better accuracy, and a little faster, loaded with 140 gr bullets.

If you are going to reload, you can tailor the loads for what your rifle likes. Some rifles shoot very well with max loads, others shoot better with mid-range loads. I load mine with 140 gr Nosler Partitions to over 2,700 fps, so the 7X57 is no slouch.
Old September 17, 2010, 01:31 AM   #6
HiBC

If it is a good,sound,checked out 98,you might see if Hornady makes a Light Mag load.Long ago,Norma made a warm 150 gr load.If you will handload,look at Reloader 19 powder.It is a good match.Read some loading manuals and use their data.
Its a really great,practical cartridge.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:15 PM   #7
WacosSon

now y'all are making me wonder....is it in fact a mauser 98?

Was told it was by a fellow forumer, but not sure how to tell. Dunno if a picture will help, but here it is....
Old September 17, 2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Scorch

Yes, you have a Mauser 98 variant (not exactly sure which variant, but they are all pretty much Mauser 98s).
Old September 18, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Major Dave (retired)

Is it a 98?

Show me a picture with the bolt closed, so I can see how far the "cocking piece" protrudes out of the rear of the bolt. Long protrusion equals M93, 95, or 96 - about 3/4 inch. Short (about 1/4 inch) equals Model 98.

The shorter cocking piece reduces the time it takes for the cocked firing pen to fall (lock time), thus increasing accuracy, i.e., gives you less time to "wobble" away from your sight picture, after you pull the trigger, and before the bullet exits the muzzle.

Also, does it cock on closing the bolt (M93, 95, 96), or cock upon opening the bolt (Model 98)?

Also, how many locking lugs are on the bolt? Only 2 locking lugs, both at the forward end of the bolt, equals Models 93, 95, 96. But a third locking lug, on the bottom of the bolt, equals the Model 98. That's one of the reasons it is a stronger action than the earlier, 2 lug models.

A picture of the bolt, removed from the action, would be helpful.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); September 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM.