The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 3, 2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

What "excuse' do you use the most?

As shooters, we make mistakes, and sometimes (most times) we don't like admitting those mistakes (especially in the company of others ). So, what excuse do you use the most? Whether you missed the target or "that group was half a thousandth too big" , was your scope glared or foggy? Did you "swear it was on target"? Was there a tree in your way (if this is the case, maybe it's time to find a new range ). My most common excuse is I couldn't see the target (which most of the time is generally true). Anyway, I'd like to hear your "excuses", I thought this would be a funny thread.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 08:21 PM   #2
10-96

'Loose nut behind the trigger" with a dose of humor is about as far as I go with excuses. When I goober a shot- I goober the shot, not much other excuse needed.

When a feller comes of age to stand on his own two feet and take on such hobbies as hunting and shooting- he's kinda (or shoulda) outgrown the need to make excuses to anybody for anything, unless you're in familiar enough company to be light hearted and joke around a bit.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 3, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
AGFNTB

After a cease fire to change targets a group of us were looking at our sight in groups (100 yards) and I had a couple flyers (rare for me at 100 yards). My buddy says "What happened?", to which I replied, while looking straight face at the group, "bad air quality" and walk away. My buddy is laughing so hard he can't speak, the others are just looking around like they were not privy to some top secret shooting info. Once my buddy regains his composure a few of the ask him what I meant. He tells them to ask me when I get back.

I come back a few minutes later (went to grab a bottle of water) and they ask me how the air quality affects the shots. I say, "well, I stunk that session". The rest of the day the group around us was saying "bad air quality" every time one of them missed their shot. It was a riot.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
4runnerman

I am kinda with 10-96 here. I like to joke about it and come up with some story,but most times I just say the Idiot behind the trigger. I shoot in the early morning ( sun to our Back) so now and then I say sun in my eyes or the earth was spinning to fast.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Mosin-Marauder

AGFNTB, THAT is hillarious. Surely you must have more!

Yeah, I know that excuses don't count for much, this was a post aimed at the humorous "excuses" (hence the quotation marks).
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 09:30 PM   #6
glh17

My gun isn't accurate or I put a couple rounds through the same hole.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:36 PM   #7
AGFNTB

There was the time my good friend nearly shot another friend because he was attacked by Godzilla. We were all shooting from prone at steel targets at 500 and 600 yards when suddenly my buddy yells "@!#$@$!!" and fires off a round that shoots off across some of the rest us. We all look over and he is standing, jumping around, and still yelling. We thought he had been shot. We get over to him and he yells "where is it? Get it off me!". We look down to see a baby lizard about 2 inches long smashed on his shooting mat. I say "Is that the monster?" while pointing at the smashed lizard and everyone laughs their heads off. He turned red as can be. We will never let him live down his "Godzilla attack survival". We even got him a "Survivor" patch for his rifle bag.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
There was the time my good friend nearly shot another friend because he was attacked by Godzilla. We were all shooting from prone at steel targets at 500 and 600 yards when suddenly my buddy yells "@!#$@$!!" and fires off a round that shoots off across some of the rest us. We all look over and he is standing, jumping around, and still yelling. We thought he had been shot. We get over to him and he yells "where is it? Get it off me!". We look down to see a baby lizard about 2 inches long smashed on his shooting mat. I say "Is that the monster?" while pointing at the smashed lizard and everyone laughs their heads off. He turned red as can be. We will never let him live down his "Godzilla attack survival". We even got him a "Survivor" patch for his rifle bag.
I have to say, that is even funnier. I hope he got to retain his range membership!

Quote:
My gun isn't accurate or I put a couple rounds through the same hole.
Ah, I've heard this one quite a bit. My dad used to know a fella who supposedly only shot 1 round every time he went to the range. He used to tell his friends they were 1 shot groups and all in one hole (which I guess is technically true! ) however I'm not sure if there is any merit behind this story.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 10:10 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I suck, and haven't been able to shoot very much for the last ...11 years, or so.
(I had one good year in there, about 5 years ago; but before and after have been big inconveniences to my shooting/hunting hobbies. )

I used to make excuses...
Blame the ammo.
Blame the wind.
Blame my tremors.
Blame muzzle blast from someone else that fired.
Blame an ant biting my toe.
Blame the burrito I ate the night before.
Blame the sun for being too bright.

But, I got a little older and realized I wouldn't really improve myself unless I admitted what the problem was -- ME.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:19 PM   #10
burrhead

I just say "it's the nut behind the butt".

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 4, 2014, 04:54 AM   #11
Brotherbadger

I'm gonna start using the bad air quality line.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 4, 2014, 07:08 AM   #12
mete

Why do you have to make it up ?? With enough hunting and target shooting experience you get to see lots of things.
Metallic silhouette - about to squeeze the trigger of my M29 and a fly lands on the front sight !
Hunting ? anyone who has hunted deer for a while has seen deer move at any time for any reason !
Old August 4, 2014, 07:41 AM   #13
wogpotter

I usually just say "Oh dearie me & botheration"! & leave it at that. Most seem to understand my concise comment.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by Evan Thomas; August 4, 2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: comment on staff action.
Old August 4, 2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

I just usually call it what it is for a particular bad shot and if I am having a bad day, I call it a bad day. If I am shooting with a buddy and have a bad day, I sometimes note that it is a bad day for shooting, but a good day for spotting. If my day is so bad that I am having trouble spotting, I just go home.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:52 AM   #15
madmo44mag

I have only one excuse.

"Dam getting old sucks"
Old August 4, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
SHE3PDOG

Most of the time when this happens, my friends just look at me like I'm a jerk and say something along the lines of, "I couldn't make that shot group on my best day, shut up!" :P

Usually it has something to do with very unfortunate celestial alignments, sunspots, solar flares, a fluctuation in earth's magnetic field, or a disturbance in the force. I've also been known to have exceptionally untimely bouts of being gassy.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 4, 2014, 02:14 PM   #17
4EVERM-14

I like to claim,

WIND SHEER
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old August 4, 2014, 10:28 PM   #18
pete2

I don't know about rifles but I've had the moon get in my eyes a few times on the skeet range.
Old August 4, 2014, 10:30 PM   #19
pete2

I've also had wind sheer cause misses at skeet and trap.
Old August 5, 2014, 05:38 AM   #20
CajunBass

The target is printed too close to the paper.

I did have a little poplar tree jump in front of a load of buckshot to save a deer one time. You could see where every pellet in the load hit that tree. I'd heard of trees giving themselves up to save a deer, but it was the only time I've ever seen happen.

But pretty much, I'm just a poor shot.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 5, 2014, 07:35 AM   #21
Gunplummer

None. I missed, so what of it?
Old August 5, 2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Pahoo

Giving credit where credit is due ...

Quote:
he's kinda (or shoulda) outgrown the need to make excuses to anybody for anything, unless you're in familiar enough company to be light hearted and joke around a bit.
We certainly hope we have outgrown making excuses and it doesn't take much to spot the ones who haven't. The only time I make excuses, is when someone asks. Then I usually blame it on Global Warming. I no longer shoot competition so don't take credit for shooting well. Again, when asked about how well I shot, I usually reply; I like the way I have this firearm set up.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2014, 09:41 AM   #23
Marty8613

Connect the dots... It makes a picture.
Old August 5, 2014, 09:48 AM   #24
aarondhgraham

My alibi?

I'm old.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 5, 2014, 11:36 AM   #25
Glockstar .40

If I'm shooting worse than my buddies on a particular day then I usually just blame Obama. He had to have something to do with it.