The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1
usernameunknown

ar 10 308

I am new to reloading and have only reloaded a few hundred 45 acp rounds under direct supervision of my dad (sounds like im 12 lol) I recently was given a rcbs rock chucker sr. reloading set up from my grandfather. It is an older press but well maintained and built right in the first place. I have been saving brass from my ar 10 and would like to do some research on what people are using in their semi auto 308 cal rifles. Unfortunately all of the literature that I have on reloading is from 1980 and before so most of the powders available today are not listed. I will be searching for newer books at a local gun show this weekend but I would also like to do some net research. What style, brand , type and grain of bullet are recommended and what brand, grain of powder are considered to be the best preforming for a semi auto rifle. I will be taking this rifle to the range often but I want to practice with the same as I shoot in a hunt. It has been explained to me that some powders burn slower and are better used on bolt action or single shot rifles vs a faster burning powder for semi auto. I dont want a load too light to correctly time my action and cause jams but also a load so heavy that I loose the ballistic advantage of a 308. The only mods are my Leupold vx-lll 3.5 x-10 x 50, Harris by pod and a magpul adjustable stock.
Old January 1, 2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Creeper

You can wear out a barrel playing with the number of .308 loads that are available.
At least with a semi-auto, you're limited to the OAL unless you single load them thru the ejection port.

What is the twist rate of your AR10... 1:11.25?? If so, there are plenty of 168 ~ 180 grain match and hunting bullets available and that's another variable you can reduce by not wasting time with lighter or substantially heavier bullets... although, there are always exceptions to any rule.

Develop a load for the hunting bullets and the target bullets using the same powder and primers... another step to keeping the variables down.

I'm a big Vihta-Vuori fan (I shoot benchrest), so you might want to check out their site.
Lots of people are fond of the IMR powders like 4064 and 4895... Winchester 748 has lots of friends too.

Here are several loads to consider... some developed for semi-autos like the Stoner 25.

C

Last thing... this might be a bit advanced for your current re-loading skills, but you can probably pull a few useful things from it that you could apply now.

Last edited by Creeper; January 1, 2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Add a bit...
Old January 2, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
armedtotheteeth

Hogdon H335 is a good powder, Using Magnum primers, Reloader 15 works great too.
Id stay away from the heavier bullets for a 308. 150 Grainers are nice to ars10s and dont beat the snot out of your action. Just search any powder site, alliant, Hogdon, IMR the list goes on. Youll be interested in "service rifles" there are too many for me to attempt to list.
Old January 2, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
DEDON45

From what I've read, gas-operated rifles need a medium burning powder, so as not to "beat the gun up."... Winchester 748 is what I use, but BLC(2), IMR4895, IMR3031, Varget, and IMR4064, along with some AA powders, are all listed as good to use in Gas guns in my Speer manual... I like the ball powders (WW748 in my case), easier to use on my progressive press when i'm trying to fill an ammo can full of match .308 for my M1A.