The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you carry handgun with a round in chamber i.e. live round?
Yes 146 94.19%
No 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 10, 2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Firepower!

Carrying live round

Hi
I always carry a live round i.e. a bullet in the chamber regardless of what handgun I am using. Gnerally speaking, I shift between Glock, HK, and Sig.

I would like to know how many of you carry a live round and what practice drills do have to minimize accidental discharge.

Also, what gun do you carry? Safety or a decocker influences the way you carry?
Old November 10, 2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Ruthless4christ

colt 1911 .45 always chambered. also once in a great while glock 17 same deal
Old November 10, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
trublu

Yes of course.
Use decent holster, follow safety rules.
I dont carry firearms with manual safeties.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
andrewskaggs

I carry a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W. The only safety devices on my carry gun are my brain and finger. I figure if I ever really need my weapon, there probably won't be enough time to rack the slide.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
armedandsafe

One in the chute, all the time.

I carry either a Ruger P85 (city) or a Dan Wesson .357 revolver (field.) That way both are DA first round. I have shaped the grips and worked the triggers so they each shoot to the same POI from draw.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old November 10, 2008, 12:49 PM   #6
David Armstrong

Usually I carry chambered, sometimes I don't. Pretty much a non-issue to me, and one that is predicated far more on individual situation and perception than any real advantage/disadvantage.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:50 PM   #7
dmazur

Condition 1 (1911) except when stored in safe.

This creates a certain amount of "administrative protocol" which can lead to trouble re: chambering and ejecting the live round.

I follow an IDPA procedure for unload and show clear, even there is no SO present. This involves removing magazine, then with muzzle in safe direction, remove thumb safety, rack slide back slowly and lock open, simultaneously rolling round into palm of L hand.

With polished feed ramps and lower edge of extractor, I've never had a problem with setback.

I perform this procedure frequently and I've never come close to a ND. I believe the answer is to be found in avoiding complacency. Just because you know what you're doing doesn't make attention to detail any less important.

Regarding Condition 1 carry, I've gotten rid of a shoulder holster that didn't permit this mode of carry, and all other CC holsters are open-top that do not bump the thumb safety. Both of my field holsters have a retention strap that goes over the grip safety, but leaves the thumb safety unaffected.

I have "original" short thumb safeties. Extended safeties are nice for competition, but are too easily brushed off for CC use, IMO.

Trigger pulls are 4# to 5# and have reasonable overtravel. No need for super-light trigger pulls or barely measurable trigger movement. I practice IDPA protocol for "finger", which means trigger finger outside trigger guard until you're ready to shoot.

I'm sure there are many 1911 fans that don't agree with all of this, and that's OK. This is what I do to stay safe.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Maj.Malfunction

Always one in the hole.

Kahr CW9. No safety except my finger.

I keep the gun in it's cheap cloth holster 99% of the time. If I don't ever have access to the trigger I can't pull it.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:06 PM   #9
chrisp0410

Always one in the chamber

As for safety concerns, I carry in a holster that completely covers the trigger of the weapon and practice safe techniques.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:12 PM   #10
right winger

Carrying live round

I always lock and load. I use common sense with my Glock.
Old November 10, 2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Keltyke

One in the chamber always in my striker-fired DAO semi. Trigger finger frame safety on, trigger safety always engaged with my finger OFF the trigger, holster that covers the trigger completely. "It's chambered" always first in my mind when handling it. It's either in my holster on my body or in the case. NEVER just "laying around".
Old November 10, 2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Bauer

I voted no but I think I might change my ways after viewing the other posts. Very good posts.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Staff

Either a 1911 in condition 1 or an H&K P7M8 with a round chambered. I'm just not going to count on having both hands free in the [very unlikely] event I need my gun.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
KLRANGL

HK USPc .40, round in chamber, decocked and safety on... Been practicing taking the safety off as the hand hits the holster. Im at the point now where I feel comfortable that I would subconsciously disengage the safety when drawing under stress... I know many people dont like having to manually unsafe their weapon, but I like the added comfort...
Old November 10, 2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Keltyke

Quote:
Been practicing taking the safety off as the hand hits the holster.
Ah, you might want to wait until it's aimed. THEN put your finger on the safety and slip it off. To it your way and you might shoot your leg off one day, no matter how hard you practice.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:24 PM   #16
KLRANGL

Quote:
Ah, you might want to wait until it's aimed. THEN put your finger on the safety and slip it off. To it your way and you might shoot your leg off one day, no matter how hard you practice.
How does taking the safety off put me at more risk of shooting my leg off? Finger is always off the trigger until its pointing downrange... Not to mention, the trigger is still covered by the holster when the safety gets tagged...
Old November 10, 2008, 05:28 PM   #17
Keltyke

Nevermind...you do it your way.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

This has been discussed into the ground as one of the most popular topics on the Internet gun universe. Thus, I will expound. It has to due with risk and history.

1. Some organizations are scared of their gun carrying members. Thus, they maximize what it takes to get the gun into action to avoid an ND.

2. The Israelis supposed had many different guns so unchambered carry was the best training solution for them way back when.

3. For a civilian, you determine what risk is the one you are concerned with:

a. You won't get an unchambered gun into action fast enough because you have an arm disabled or involved with something else (child). I've carried with a disabled arm for a time and trained for one handed manipulation. They are a pain. Or you will futz the racking, as happens once in awhile, even if you train.

b. You are scared you will shoot yourself because you are a klutz or don't trust the gun not to go off if dropped or on its own. You also may think that an unchambered gun will give you an advantage in you are disarmed. The guy will futz with it while you unleash your gung-fu.

4. If you truly fret about this, carry a modern revolver.

That's it, culled from about 55,000 posts on the topic across the Internet.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:52 PM   #19
dabigguns357

I carry one in the chamber at all times as well.I feel better knowing there is one in the chamber.There is a good side and a bad side to my gun.There is no hammer to cock back and i don't have to rack the slide,i pull the trigger and bang.The bad side is the same there is no second chance.i have to make extra sure i don't stick my fingers in the trigger guard unless absolutly sure of what i'm pointing at and beyond.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Holman

Always one in the pipe. XD40 or XD45 is what I carry.

Holman
Old November 10, 2008, 06:03 PM   #21
David Armstrong

Quote:
b. You are scared you will shoot yourself because you are a klutz or don't trust the gun not to go off if dropped or on its own. You also may think that an unchambered gun will give you an advantage in you are disarmed. The guy will futz with it while you unleash your gung-fu.
Now, now, now. From my usual dispassionate and fair-minded colleague I think I've detected a wee bit of bias in that summary<G>!
Old November 10, 2008, 06:07 PM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

Guilty as charged. It comes from when I broke my wrist, my ribs and badly sprained my ankle. I was signed up (seredipitously) for a tac class featuring wounded shooter, one hand only tactics. So I shot it in the cast with my nondominant hand.

Then I took LFI-1 stressfire in the same condition.

Thus, I carry chambered because you can't be too slow when the zombies come for you.

I should post the picture of me shooting a 44 Mag Desert Eagle, one handed, with the other in the cast - but it makes me look FAT!

I do understand your points made before, Dave.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:08 PM   #23
Creature

Quote:
What kind firearms background do you have?....exactly what formal training have you had?
Old November 10, 2008, 06:10 PM   #24
orionengnr

Yes, because an unloaded pistol is nothing more than a really expensive, very inefficient club.

As I type this, I have an L-frame S&W revolver on my hip. In the past, it has been a 1911, a G-23, a striker-fired Kahr on the hip, or a smaller Kahr in the pocket, a j-frame in the pocket, and (one day) perhaps an LCP in the pocket.

I paid too much for each to use them as clubs.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:30 PM   #25
guntotin_fool

live round loaded. in a commander.

I too never hit the safety until the gun is up and at the ready, its just the way I was trained, and the way I practiced,

As the gun is coming up and just before I make the junction of strong and weak hand the safety gets stroked off.
Closed Thread