The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2005, 11:37 AM   #1
ShottyTim

gun out of case

hey guys, quick question. my room is in the basement of our house, and i would like to keep it out of its case, its kinda cold down here, is there any chance of rusting if i keep it out? rem 870HD

thanks

meaning come and get them
Old September 12, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2
fisherman66

I had a friend ask me to refinish his treasured (and passed down) 870 (with beautiful walnut and real rich blue) because he left it in a room uncased with a humidifier. I can't duplicate the finish, but I can cold blue paste it.

Moisture is key and basements are known for moisture.
Old September 12, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
mgdavis

My 870 HD started to rust after I stored it in the basement out of a case for about a month. After that I started wiping it down about once a week with a CLP'd rag. Just keep an eye on it. That finish disapointed me, I thought it would be more corrosion resistant than that.
Old September 12, 2005, 02:33 PM   #4
ShottyTim

thanks for the responses guys, i think im just gonna have it coated, and call it wonderful.

meaning come and get them
Old September 12, 2005, 05:15 PM   #5
k98k792

I am a Curio & Relic collector and have a pretty extensive collection. I have been using Birchwood Casey Sheath for ten years now and have never had a bit of rust since I started using it. I have my Weapons in security cabnets in my basement.Spray some Sheath on them twice a year. After I shoot one the last thing I do is spray it with Sheath. Here is a test brownells has on there sight. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...?p=0&t=2&i=503
Old September 12, 2005, 05:20 PM   #6
n3twrkm4n

We have new construction, there was moderate moisture before the cement completely dried out. But I currently store 4 of my g/f's father's guns down there and no more rust than what was on them when I received them.

If no case, I'd recommend silicone impregnated gun socks... I keep them on MY guns in my gun cabinet upstairs. I'd love to buy a gun safe but just can't afford it right now, with some dessicant packs or a moisture stick.

Good luck, just keep your guns LIGHTLY oiled. I've heard people complaining about their XD's rusting but I keep mine in my room in a plastic case in this humid summer that we've been having it hasn't rusted. Just with a little bit of oil and TLC.