The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
hendrixhendrix

2 quick questions

1)In 223 does the Wylde chamber require special dies to reload?

2)Is the dimension in the reloading books for case length overall, the trim to or the max length? If it is the trim to how much should I trim shorter to allow growth to the max?

Ok 3 questions

3)Are the bolt control groups and bolts on AR15's interchangeable to different uppers?

One more

4) Does the Lee FCD die for 223 full length resize like the one for 40 SW?

Last edited by hendrixhendrix; April 2, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The second question is the easy one, so I'll take that one. Most manuals show the maximum length of 1.760" in an illustration and also give a shorter trim-to length of 1.750".

The actual specification is 1.7600" +0.0000" / -0.0200". So you can be anywhere between 1.7400" and 1.7600" for a sized case ready to load. Most trim-to specs aim at the middle of that range.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 2, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
hendrixhendrix

Thanks, I added a question.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

On question 4, no. Only a straight wall case can be sized with a carbide ring. To size a rifle case you'd have lube and the rest involved. The Lee rifle FCD is works on a different principle from the handgun FCD, closing a collet to squeeze inward on the bullet to crimp. I believe they also needed not to size the rifle case because many folks using it would be neck-sizing-only, and wouldn't want the case bodies changed from the individual chamber fit achieved on the previous firing.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Dave R

Question 3, yes, bolt carrier groups are theoretically interchangeable, but most AR owners I know don't interchange them. There's some concern they may wear slightly differently in different uppers over a long time, and if you swap them after they're worn in, there may possibly be problems. That said, I know folks who keep a spare bolt carrier group, because a new one should fit any AR.
Old April 2, 2010, 02:28 PM   #6
vladan

Quote:
Question 3, yes, bolt carrier groups are theoretically interchangeable, but most AR owners I know don't interchange them. There's some concern they may wear slightly differently in different uppers over a long time, and if you swap them after they're worn in, there may possibly be problems. That said, I know folks who keep a spare bolt carrier group, because a new one should fit any AR.
While it is quite common practice to use bolt from one upper in another it is never good idea - the fact that we don't hear about many AR kabooms is just tribute to manufacturers making their bolts and barrels in close specs ( mil-spec )
if you you wanna use bolt in other upper do yourself a favor and get headspace gauges, at least field gauge and test the headspace with that particular configuration before you fire first round.

Question 1 -
Depends on two things - brass and the die. Reloads from good brass the die that is in specs will fit in wylde chamber. Sometimes when your die is worn out or out of spec slightly and/or you have brass that went trough loose chamber ( usually military brass ) you might have problems chamber the round but I never have problems in any of my rifles. Wylde chamber is a compromise between loose nato chambers and tight .223 match chambers
Old April 2, 2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

As a follow-up, my Compass Lake built Bushmaster's bolt is fit to the gun, so I wouldn't swap it without sending it to Frank and Theresa for fit check. I do keep a kit with firing pin and all small parts and springs for the bolt and trigger groups.

I wasn't familiar with the Wylde chamber. Good to know. If it's half way inbetween the NATO and SAAMI spec chamber, then standard sizing dies in good shape should be fine for it with brass that was originally fired new in that same chamber. If you buy once-fired brass, I expect you'll run into some that needs a small base die at least on the first pass. Some gets so badly stretched or its rims so badly bent in full auto fire that it won't come into spec no matter what you do?
Old April 2, 2010, 05:59 PM   #8
jepp2

Headspace

If you plan on shooting much, or ever intend to switch BCG's, you should check headspace.

Bill Ricca has a nice gage that is relieved for the extractor/ejector so you just drop it in the barrel and slide the bolt closed to check.

M16 Maximum Headspace Gage, Ordnance Part Number 7799734, NSN 4933-00-070-7814. Disassembly of bolt not needed, gage is cut for extractor and ejector clearance. Each gage is new, in US GI pack. $35.00 PHOTO

about 1/3 of the way down the page:

http://www.billricca.com/collectors_corner.htm
Old April 2, 2010, 10:34 PM   #9
dogrunner

That Wylde chamber should give you no issue with standard dies.......just trim to length and load normally.

I have a stainless Wilson mfgd heavy bbld Wylde chambered .223 on a RR I just finished that shoots extremely well. I too wondered if the diff. would create a problem but so far its a non issue.

The only diff. I've noted in that AR is that my old .22 sub caliber kit seems to seat farther back in the 15 than in my Colt A/2.............works just as well tho.
Old April 4, 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The headspace gauges I own also have the ejector cutouts. I think it's pretty standard practice. They lack an extractor cutout, but a little effort on a grinder could change that.

Rereading my last post, I realize I wasn't clear that my comment on sending the gun to its builders had to do with achieving a match for a spare bolt's fit to the gun using the same tooling and sense of feel (gunsmith) that put it together originally. That way the same loads it likes best with one bolt will likely do well with the other. I wouldn't want to have to change a bolt in the middle of a match and find it wanted different ammo.