The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
REDFIRE122

x-58 powder

Hello, I reload mainly pistol cartridges .35/357, .45 and a few rifle cartridges. .308Win, 30-06 and .223 Rem in particular.

I recently was given a 12 pound keg of gunpowder. the outside of the container was only marked X-58. It came from my fathers estate and I would assume he aquired it sometime in the 70's. It has been stored in a temperature controled environment.

Has anybody heard of this powder type. I have searched google to no avail. If so I would like to know if any loading data is available. Also, assuming it is stored at room temperature does smokeless powder have a shelf life? I also aquired several metal cans of IMR powders and red/green dot. With the price of powder would hate to just get rid of it.

I am fully aware of the dangers of unkown powder and will safely dispose of it if no reliable data is available. While powder is expensive heath care is more (-:

Thank-you for your help.
Old August 16, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
zxcvbob

What does the X-58 look like? Is the label hand written? Maybe it's pull-down powder from 7.7x58 or 8x58 rifle cartridges.

the Red and Green Dot should still be good unless it obviously isn't (stinks like acid, has red dust, etc.) They've changed the burn rate of Green Dot a little several times over the years so be a little careful with it.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:42 PM   #3
REDFIRE122

Thank-you for the info on what to look for in old powder. The cans that I have opened so far look normal. I found a unlabeled container and promptly disposed of it by making a loose trail. (Most impressive when I lit it off I must say)

The label is hand written in a heavy cardboard cylinder. Looks like a small concrete form with lids. Hand written on lid "x-58 12#". Will take your advice with all the powders and assume the formulations may have changed over the years and load on the light end. Thats what I like to do anyway.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Don't go too light with it; from what I've read, Green Dot has gotten faster (so your old powder may be slower) Middle of the load data should be fine either way.

Does the X58 stuff look like rifle powder? You might check with Hodgdon's and see if they know what it is.