The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Uncle Buck

Recording Your Collection

I was wondering how you folks record your collection of firearms and related stuff.

I was updating my will and took some of my firearms info into the lawyers office with me. He really liked the list and said he was going to do something like it for his collection. (He figured the police would just be able to look up his pistols and get the serial numbers, so why bother. I told him I did not think it would be all that easy.)

1. Firearm type (Caliber/make/model/style, other pertinent info)
2. What I paid for it (If I can remember)
3. Where I got it from and when. (Again, if I can remember)
4. Year of manufacture, if the info can be found. Pre-serial number guns are a pain in the butt to figure out (i.e., Stevens .22/410)
5. Who I want the firearm left to. (Why is it when I update the list just before Christmas, I get a lot more Christmas cards?)

I have a separate book with my reloading stuff in it and pictures of the stuff. (Detailing what it is, what I bought it for and threatening to come back and haunt anyone who just gives it away for pennies on the dollar. )

I also have a few old ammo boxes, mostly from the '60s and '70s which I put an index card into, explaining what it is and what it might be worth.

I am not ready to pass any of the things along to anyone right now (hopefully will not have to pass anything along for at least another 50 years.), but I figure my wife is going to have enough stuff to worry about once I am gone that this is something she will not have to fuss with.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Lurch37

For my collection I use a simple spreadsheet to record the: Make, Model, Caliber, Serial Number, DOM/DOP, Value. In a seperate file I have a picture of each firearm with a simple description. I suppose someday I could combine the two into one file to make it a little easier but ir works for me. I also update it maybe two or three times a year depending on my selling, buying, trading habits. Finally, I store both these files on my hard drive and also onto a flash drive that I keep in a secure location.

I do know there are actual software programs out there that one can buy that are designed specificaly for firearm collectors that allow a myriad of info to be added along with several pictures. I also saw that in my latest NRA magazine they have a nice looking book that allows one to record such info. I think its important to keep track of information, not only for ease of "passing them along", but also in the unfortunate event of a fire or theft.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
dogtown tom

GunSafe 2.8 www.somanyroads.org/gunsafe/
FREE database software for firearms collections. You’ll never use spreadsheets again.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 30, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
bangbangshootshoot

Nice. Thanks dogtown.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
45Gunner

Thanks for posting Gunsafe. I will give it a try.

I keep a spread sheet of all guns in my inventory. It contains the date I acquired it, the manufacturer, model, serial number, caliber, type finish, and any other pertinent data. I do not put a price on the gun because I do not want to crap in her pants or give her a heart attack.

I have a separate file for pictures of the gun. My main purpose is for insurance.
But, it is also nice to have all the data just a finger touch away instead of having to run to the safe anytime I need to reference something about a particular gun.
NRA Life Member
Old December 30, 2009, 03:53 PM   #6
BigJimP

I just use a simple excel spreadsheet .....and digital photos that are dated - like the attached ...as an example . Mfg, make, model, any special items on the gun, custom grips, barrel length, extra mags, etc ... cost paid, Actual value now, and replacement cost ...... and which one of the boys it is to go to.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...2&d=1259866336
( which are my .357 mag revolvers )...

I update the spreadsheet / and the photos every 6 months ...( kind of like changing the batteries in the smoke detectors at home - June 30th and Dec 30 th).

Simple is better - because it means its easier to update.
Old December 30, 2009, 04:04 PM   #7
jborushko

list: make, model, barrel length, function, serial number, any modifications, any repairs, i like pictures to include pictures. also i keep and scan the copies of my receipts.
Old December 30, 2009, 10:35 PM   #8
bangbangshootshoot

dogtown, I spent the afternoon logging my stuff into Gunsafe, hopefully finish up tomorrow. Good program!
Old December 31, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Zildjian

Hello Dogtown, I downloaded the program...everything works great except for the image part. I run Vista on my PC. When trying to add an image....I am told that their is a Filter not installed. Other than that..I sure do like it and it is a life saver. I can put it on Sandisk and then store for later use and update
it at a later point in time. Can you tell me please sir... what might have gone wrong with my installation ...Http or Ftp download.? Thank you .
Old December 31, 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
bangbangshootshoot

I used the HTTP option & all works aok, although I'm using XP & not familiar with Vista.
Old December 31, 2009, 02:23 PM   #11
dogtown tom

Quote:
Zildjian:...Can you tell me please sir... what might have gone wrong with my installation ...Http or Ftp download.? Thank you .
Sorry, that's not my program. I ran across it a few years ago.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 31, 2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Sevens

Usually, one of these threads doesn't make it even this far before the paranoid types show up and sprinkle in all the reasons why they don't want any kind of any list of firearms they may have ever owned but were then lost in a tragic boating accident.

Me... I simply use MS-Excel. I list anything I buy related to the hobby, right down to the tiniest, cheapest little thing, where and generally when I bought it. (month & year) I keep details on these things so that if I go to buy another, I have an idea of what I paid and how much it's gone up and if I need to keep looking for a better price.

I find it to be a very handy resource and I won't ever stop adding purchases to it.
Old December 31, 2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Zildjian

Ok... sorry for that miscue on my part Dogtown. Thanks . I will try the HTTP as what Bangbang said worked for him and re-download again. Thanks for the info from you guys here. That really is a nice program to use. gotta go back and finish what I was doing..Ya'll have a good one and stay out of the cold..its damn sure cold here in the concho valley .
Old December 31, 2009, 09:38 PM   #14
langenc

"I do not put a price on the gun because I do not want to ....."

Dont let em sell em for what we told them we paid for em.

A friend recently told me about an old 70 that he got for a couple humdred bucks from a widow. I told him 'shame on you'. He related that she gave him a good deal cause he helped her liquidate several other guns.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Matt19

Nothing fancy for me. Just makes,models, serial numbers, value, who they should go to and multiple copies in multiple locations.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:15 AM   #16
Shadi Khalil

I use excell to log all sorts of info from my range trips.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:15 AM   #17
22-rimfire

I use an Excel spread sheet to document important information about all firearms I own. It is organized by purchase year primarily. Such things as make & model, date purchased, caliber, source, price (excluding sales tax) rounded to $5 increments, date manufactured if known, accessories, box & original papers, and whether 4473 completed with purchase, When I sell a firearm, sales information is saved concerning the firearm including buyer's name and any other information I have on them. Often this is limited to buyer's name, address if I know it, and date sold.

If I didn't do this, I literally would forget that I owned many of them. I print out a hard copy when I update the list, keep the orginal on my regular computer and have copies backed up on an external hard drive and CD's. One copy is saved in a safety deposit box along with other information I consider important should something happen to me and others would have to pick up the pieces.

At one time I used a Lotus spread sheet as I preferred Lotus to Excel. One needs to pay attention as to what program things are saved on and potentially change software as things change. For example, I can not open any Lotus file any more without a lot of effort.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Uncle Buck

I never thought about keeping a record of who I sold a gun to. I think it is a good idea and I will start doing so. Nothing fancy, but I will record the name of the person and where he/she lives or what shop I sold it to.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:33 PM   #19
kilimanjaro

Just a simple spreadsheet for me, includes firearms, magazines, bayonets, extras such as scopes, etc. Should be good for insurance purposes.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:08 PM   #20
pichon

I like the one from the ATF. It is simple and official looking, not that that matters.

Found here.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:25 PM   #21
Richy Fiberglass

Firearms record

I like that Personal Firearms Record, but I would follow it up with a digital picture of each one so you can show the condition.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:35 PM   #22
DiscoRacing

i have several copies... and one on the pc... have listed make,model,caliber,upgrades(if any), serial number, any distiguishing features, price, and where bought.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:52 PM   #23
berettaprofessor

I use Quicken. Set up an account that lets me record each firearm including serial #'s and costs, and you can attach notes and pictures to each entry; letting me keep pictures of my firearms and explanations of where I got them and the FFL for each. Also then gives me a very scary running tab of how much I've got invested!
Old January 13, 2010, 03:46 PM   #24
leadcounsel

I use separate excel sheet for C&R and for total collection. I email it to myself regularly when there are changes so that I have a backup if my computer is lost, stolen or crashes or is destroyed. In a burglary or fire it's likely that my electronics will get snatched or ruined.