The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 9, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Recoiljunkie44

Where to find Rubber Grip For Ruger Super Blackhawk

I can't seem to find a set of grips for the Ruger Super Blackhawk with the rounded trigger guard! I have found a bunch for the square trigger guard and for anything but Stainless steel! Does anyone know if there is a place to buy them?

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 9, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
223 shooter

A lot of gun shops and nearly all mail order companies like Midway or Midsouth will carry the Hogue or Pachmayr rubber grips for the Ruger single action.
Old August 9, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Gun 4 Fun

If your gun has the rounded trigger gaurd, it has a standard Blackhawk, (not flat top, new Vaquero, anniversary model, etc) size grip frame. Anything listed for the Blackhawk will fit yours. The Pachmayr Presentation grips are by far the best looking "rubber" grips. If looks don't matter, then the Hogue's are awfully hard to beat, as far as feel, and control goes. I prefer the Pachs. on a Blackhawk because they are more traditional looking, while still being quite useful (I have large hands). I have both styles and brands mentioned, so this isn't off the cuff.

Last edited by Gun 4 Fun; August 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Recoiljunkie44

Thank you ,Gun 4 fun, For the help the language on the websites always was that it doesn't fit this model! It never had a suggestion for which model to try. I found a set of hougues on gun broker, and im currently bidding hopefully i win them! I think the hougues will work good for recoil!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 9, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5
hammie

Ruger has 8 different grip frame sizes for their single action revolvers. The best explanation of grip sizes, that I have found, is on the ajax grip web site. You may want to go to www.ajaxgrips.com. Click on their grip menu, and when that opens, scroll down and click on "selecting correct ruger S/A grips". Both hogue and ajax have websites and you can order directly from either on line. hogue is www.getgrip.com.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
MLeake

You can order directly from Hogue; they typically deliver in less than a week.

Hogue website:

http://getgrip.com/
Old August 9, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
CraigC

Quote:
The best explanation of grip sizes, that I have found, is on the ajax grip web site.
It's bad when a gripmaker doesn't know which of their grips fits what. Ajax has both incorrect and missing information. The best reference for Ruger grip frames is Bill Hamm's article on Gunblast. Look it up in their archives.

#1 and #4 are one and the same. The steel XR3 guns require a recess cut in the grips for the locking mechanism because the grip frame is thinner than usual. The lock stands proud out of the grip frame. The new XR3-RED guns with the internal lock have a thicker grip frame and thus, do not require the recess. So all XR3-RED pattern guns' grips are interchangeable, to a degree because of individual variations, from 1962 to present. I don't know why they've got it as 1962-2004.

2. Ruger has never used a 4½" length and the Super has never been built with a 6½" barrel, except for a handful of early Supers shipped with flat-top barrels. The proper barrel lengths are 4 5/8" and 5½".

3. There's no if's and's or but's. All New Vaqueros and 50th anniversary Blackhawks come equipped with the steel XR3 grip frame and internal lock. Plus the new .44Spl Blackhawk. They still can't get the name right. It's the New Vaquero.

8. The original .32 "Super" Single Sixes (Super denoting adjustable sights) were equipped with the XR3-RED pattern grip frame. The early fixed sight .32's also had this grip frame. Only the later model fixed sight guns had the short XR3-RED grip frame.

As the others have pointed out, you need grips for the standard Blackhawk or Vaquero. The 4 5/8" and 5½" Supers were equipped with a different grip frame than the 7½" and 10" models. I don't know why anybody would want to destroy the fine handling qualities of a good single action by installing oversized rubber grips. It eliminates the inherent "roll", making the sixgun stick to your palm, actually accentuating recoil and pushing more of it straight back into your palm. Rubber grips do not cushion your hand from recoil as the backstrap is completely exposed, that's where you feel it. Properly fitting custom grips are a far better solution.

Last edited by CraigC; August 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:37 PM   #8
hammie

Craigc: thanks. that's interesting. I just went to Bill hamm's article in gunblast. It was very comprehensive. I saved thae web page. Thanks again.

Last edited by hammie; August 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:32 AM   #9
CraigC

Bookmark it too, it's a great reference! Much easier to provide a link than to try to explain all the tiny nuances of Ruger grip frames. Keep forgetting to do that myself.
Old August 12, 2009, 08:35 AM   #10
shooter_from_show-me

Have you tried www.midwayusa.com

Bill

NRA Life Member
Old March 26, 2010, 12:49 PM   #11
marcgrant

Hogue Rubber Grips

The model that fits the square trigger guard WILL NOT fit the round trigger guard. As far as I've found, there is no rubber grips that Hogue makes to fit the rubber trigger guard. My day long search led me to this forum.

I spent 30 minutes the other night trying to make the grips for the square guard work but it's not a fit.

Marc
Old March 26, 2010, 01:21 PM   #12
old bear

Wrong thread, my bad

Last edited by old bear; March 26, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread
Old March 26, 2010, 09:08 PM   #13
mrayw

blackhawk

for the 4.63 and 5.5 inch round triggerguard Super you need blackhawk grips.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:20 PM   #14
Jim March

Except there IS a larger-variant round-triggerguard combination: stainless only in the "Hunter" variants. But those are pretty rare. Other than that, round-triggerguard comes with SBHs with barrels 5.5" or 4.68", and it's dimensionally the same as the "Old Vaquero" or most Blackhawks, also known as the XR3-RED.

Tags
grips , rounded trigger guard , ruger , stainless steel , super blackhawk