The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Niagara Shooter

Encore loading questions

Ok, this first question might be a bit of a dumb one, but it had me kinda thinking the other day.

1) Can you shoot loose powder out of my Encore/Pro Hunter/Endeavor? my though was it would just fall through the hole and you wouldn't get proper gr's each time?

2) Endeavor question- With the ejector, is it supposed to sit all the way in when I put my primer on or does it all slide in together (ejector and primer) as the action is closed? I know the ejector pops out when the action is opened, but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be pushed back in to make the primer sit easier?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, haven't had a chance to shoot my gun yet and get looking at it and things start running through my mind! Getting my mounts and rings tomorrow or monday and then off to the range!
P.S Anyone got any good loads they wanna share?

Thanks
NS
Old October 25, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
darkgael

Encore

Niagara: "1) Can you shoot loose powder out of my Encore/Pro Hunter/Endeavor? my though was it would just fall through the hole and you wouldn't get proper gr's each time?"
Yes, you can. If there is any loss at all, the few particles of BP that would be missing would have no measurable affect on the performance of the gun.
Pete
Old October 26, 2008, 01:46 AM   #3
arcticap

Quote:
2) Endeavor question- With the ejector, is it supposed to sit all the way in when I put my primer on or does it all slide in together (ejector and primer) as the action is closed? I know the ejector pops out when the action is opened, but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be pushed back in to make the primer sit easier?
If the ejector can be pushed back it, it would make sense to do that in order to allow it to seat better.
Do what's needed manually if necessary so that the gun functions reliably, that's what is most important.

Last edited by arcticap; October 27, 2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old October 26, 2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Niagara Shooter

As far as I can tell the ejector can't be pushed in manually, it does move in when the action closes, but still is sittin up when you'd be priming the gun. This is the way the gun came from Thompson (as far as I know, unless the shop fiddled with it) so I really don't know how its supposed to be.
Old October 27, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
arcticap

If you really want tips and information about loads, ask at this site's black powder sub-forum.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/