The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 5, 2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Doyle

I hope you aren't right. I don't need any more scars.
Old July 5, 2007, 03:57 PM   #27
Odd Job

I had the most bizarre scope mishap, but no scar.

It was in the early days when I upgraded my crossbow from recurve to compound. The upgrade included a new scope, which I obviously didn't screw down tightly enough. This was a 4x32 that sits on the crossbow's 14mm dovetail rail. Now I didn't realise at the time that the recoil on a crossbow is significant in terms of dislodging a scope on a smooth rail like that. I remember the shot clearly: the scope came backwards off the rail, brushed my nose and hit the ground. A tiny little chip of metal came off the objective rim and I was really sour.
I didn't spare the tightening efforts after that. The crossbow is quite vicious on scopes, but mainly the reticles. I have gone through four scopes already and I'm on my fifth one now. All of them were either original crossbow scopes or spring-gun rated scopes. It doesn't matter, my crossbow eats 'em all.
Old July 5, 2007, 04:17 PM   #28
Jason_G

Quote:
Jason G and Doyle will be next. If you don't think it can/will happen to you, it will.
Not if you shoot irons

Jason
Old July 5, 2007, 09:05 PM   #29
Yellowfin

Not quite scope scar, but while in my favorite stand I had a wasp crawl down my scope once while looking at a deer and it bit me on the face. I guess that counts, eh?
Old July 6, 2007, 10:14 AM   #30
Jason_G

Quote:
Not quite scope scar, but while in my favorite stand I had a wasp crawl down my scope once while looking at a deer and it bit me on the face. I guess that counts, eh?
Ouch! Now that sounds more like my luck.

Jason
Old July 6, 2007, 03:07 PM   #31
Scorch

I watched a friend do it twice in one day. The first time bled just a little for a minute or so, but it puffed up his eyebrow pretty good. The second one gushed like Old Faithful, and that was the end of shooting for the day. It bled all the way back to the car, and we had to hold ice on it for about 1/2 hour to get it to stop. He took that Bushnell scope off the next day and put a Leupold on because of the longer eye relief.
Old July 6, 2007, 03:45 PM   #32
Jason_G

Quote:
I watched a friend do it twice in one day.
LOL, OMG! I bet he felt like a banged up prize fighter. It might happen to me one day, but I reckon I'll learn the first time. Man...

Jason
Old July 6, 2007, 04:37 PM   #33
SpookBoy

Not me but my uncle got a whopper with a 30-378 wby.mag. OUCH!

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old July 10, 2007, 04:11 PM   #34
Sharps

I got a good one once with a .338 Win. mag, at least I hit the target.
Old July 10, 2007, 08:41 PM   #35
P-990

Amazingly, I've never drawn blood from it, but I think I've been bounced by EVERY scoped rifle I've ever shot. Nope, not every one, lucked out the other night with an '06, but only because I HAVE been bitten before.

My .260 Mountain Rifle would occasionally bite me. My .44 Magnum Ruger lever action would bite too. Also got bit by a Ruger 77 in .300 WSM. The common denominator? All are stocked short, although at some kind of "standard" LOP. Don't have any of them any more either.

Now, I have also been whacked by the hammer on my TC Encore. Shooting a 6-lb .45-70 or .50x209 muzzleloader from the bench seems to be bad mojo for me. If either of these barrels get scoped, you can bet it will be long-eye-relief, low-power jobs.
Old July 11, 2007, 06:32 PM   #36
defence18

The closest I've been is my father's .45-70 Browning High Wall. He's got a tang peep sight on it, and shoots max loads (350 grains moving at 2200 fps). The tang sight comes up and whacks me on the bridge of my nose.
Old July 14, 2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Kreyzhorse

I didn't scar from it, but my Savage 110 shooting 7mm Rem Mag jumped up and hit me hard. My buddy saw it happen, looked at me and said "You aren't bleeding, bad."
Old July 22, 2007, 10:25 AM   #38
FirstFreedom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHIowZ9JftA
Old July 25, 2007, 09:04 AM   #39
Full-choke

Got a blackeye when I was about 14 from a Marlin 336 in 30-30. That was the worst I ever did. My buddy got 3 stitches from his 50 cal muzzleloader on his very first shot with it. It sent him head-over-heels backwards right off the bucket he was sitting on. Funniest darn thing I ever saw, needless to say he has a done lot better with it in the more recent past.
Old July 27, 2007, 06:58 AM   #40
Omega blood

If you had been wearing safety specs like your supposed to, you wouldn't get a scar.
I remember the second time I ever went shooting I tried my buddies 30-06. I had my eye (safety specs on) close to the scope. Pulled the trigger and OUCH!!!
Old November 21, 2007, 06:39 PM   #41
Andrew93

I dont have mine yet but my dad has had it happen twice. My rifle hit me in the eye but it wasnt very hard luckily.
Old November 22, 2007, 01:15 AM   #42
zahnzieh

Got my first scope-eye shooting a .338 Remington - a real butt-kicking caliber. Only I wear prescription glasses - the frame of which was embedded in my fore-head - glasses were never the same after that - optometrist had a good laugh. stupid and expensive!
Old November 22, 2007, 04:45 AM   #43
Hawg

Nope.
Old November 22, 2007, 05:54 PM   #44
Malexander

I prefer to call it an 'idiot cut' and yes I did get one, not to bad once.

I was in the woods plinking in the middle of summer, it was 97 degrees and I was sweating like a pig (being British I have frightfully thick blood) and my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 fricking slipped through my hands and the scope hit me in the fore head. It was very very stupid. Funny, but stupid.

I didn't leave a permenant mark, it faded after a couple of days.

I do have a big scar above my left eye from being hit my a flying rounders bat (think baseball bat but shorter and about the same weight) but that's another story where someone else was an idiot.
Old November 23, 2007, 08:59 AM   #45
Kentucky Deer Hunter

This past weekend by brother was hunting alone in a treestand. He saw a buck that was worth taking and sighting in on it. The treestand he was in was a permanent buddy stand with a shooting rail so he decided to take his time and get real comfortable. With all the excitment going on in his head, he did not put the rifle right against his shoulder and squeezed of a round. He said the scope hit him so hard in the nose he blacked out for a second. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he was the one who got shot. There was blood everywhere, and now he has a crooked nose! I think he broke it, but he won't go to the hospital.

Oh well, deer was down and we finished our job...

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?