The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Dizzy

Simple storage question?

Is it ok to store my primers & powder in my garage during the winter months? I am concerned that the cold weather may cause damage to the items.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
MrBump

I am no expert by any means, but from what I understand, moisture is the enemy. I do all my reloading in my garage. I keep all my powders and primers in a lock box with those little "moister packets". I am not 100% about accuracy but rather quality rounds which seem to result better and less expensive. I have loaded and shot only about 1000 rounds out of my AR15, at 200 yards I have had a contestant 3" MOA with irons or red dot. I live in N.E.Texas, humidity and temp is always fluctuating so I would think its OK at best. JUst my nooby thoughts.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Primers are ruined by swings in humidity, and especially, prolonged swings in high humidity environments. Temperature has little effect on them. (But big swings will still degrade them, over time.)

Powder should be sealed in original containers. Humidity shouldn't matter, unless the seal is not air tight. However, temperature swings are powders' enemy.

A garage usually sees both temperature and humidity swings. It's not the greatest place to store powder or primers.

They guys that reload in their sheds and garages will claim that temperature and humidity don't matter.

My information comes from a major ammunition company's website, which was linked form these forums ... about a year ago, maybe. (Think it was CCI or Federal)
Old November 5, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

primer storage

A cool, dry location is the best place to store primers. Rapid temperature fluctuations in a humid environment can cause condensation. Long storage in high heat is bad but cold is OK.
Old November 7, 2009, 03:09 PM   #5
brentf

Should try and keep them in a controled climate.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:15 PM   #6
RKG

Cold isn't the issue. Most garages are built on slabs on grade, and such slabs tend to allow moisture to rise up through the concrete. You do better storing in your basement, where the heating of the house will keep humidity in the basement low.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:40 PM   #7
GP100man

Powder requires 3 things to have a long happy life!

1- low moisture content
2- moderate & stable temps , cooler is good but not cold
3- no exposure to UV light
Old November 8, 2009, 06:47 PM   #8
James R. Burke

RKG is correct, I store and reload in the basement.