The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2002, 01:35 AM   #1
deanf

Any way to weatherize caps?

Is there any good way to weatherize musket caps? I've been putting some electrical tape over the breech area, but that's not technically legal for hunting.

WA law says that the cap must be exposed to the weather. It doesn't say it can't be weatherized.
Old December 15, 2002, 09:41 AM   #2
Iggy

Couple of things..

Does exposed to weather just mean it can't be an inline by any chance??

The old timer's way was a dried cow hock.. Those are kind of hard to find these days..

another is to drip a bit of melted candle wax over the cap after you put it on the nipple..

I have heard of guys putting a bit of saran wrap over the nipple and then putting the cap on..

Haven't tried that one.
Old December 15, 2002, 02:05 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

They used to sell little bits of rubber piping that would slip over the cap and waterproof it. I;ve never used it, I like the wax method myself.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 15, 2002, 03:26 PM   #4
deanf

No, it can be an in-line. That's what I use. I was thinking of something like the wax method. Some way to winterize it before placing it on the nipple, the cap thus being fully exposed to the weather, but impervious to it.
Old June 27, 2004, 11:22 AM   #5
Naphtali

A low-tech way is to drip a SMALL amount of paraffin or beeswax on the body of the nipple (side lock and mule ear only). Place your cap on nipple. The bottom of the cap must overlap the wax. Then use electrician's crimping tool to crimp skirt of cap into wax.

A high-tech way is to turn a slight slot into nipple, then do previously described actions. You get a firm mechanical fit.

Hope this helps.
Old June 27, 2004, 11:06 PM   #6
leadbutt

Go to the Track of the Wolf web site, its a black shooters dream come true,
Old December 15, 2004, 09:26 PM   #7
Steve499

Beeswax adheres much better than paraffin wax. I've been using beeswax for years. Just be sure the nipple isn't oily when you drip the wax on. I use it on percussion revolvers where the amount of wax isn't a big deal (the splatter that sometimes happens with too much wax is at arms length). With a musket cap, use just enough to seal all the way around, then cut away any extra with an exacto knife. I haven't ever had rain wet my powder when I sealed the cap with beeswax and I've been caught out in pretty heavy rain from time to time.
Old January 6, 2005, 09:45 AM   #8
flutemaker

fish tube keeps caps dry

I hunt in central Ny.....It snows most of the time and then it rains!!! I went out and purchasd fish tank clear tube. You cut it abot 1/4 long and slide over nipple end of cap. It serves 2 purposes....holds cap secure(when the lock is up) and allows no weather to get into nipple.......works great. Although you must put the tubes on the caps before you go out.......it requires a bit of patience and dexterity .........hope this helps.
flutemaker
Old January 6, 2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Ohio Annie

Would bowstring wax work?
Old January 6, 2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Steve499

Annie, I think bowstring wax used to be almost pure beeswax. I don't know about it these days, though. I haven't had to look around because I had bees for a few years so my personal beeswax supply has been adequate for my needs. You should be able to buy pure beeswax candles at hobby/craft shops or you can order some from a beekeeping supplier like www.dadant.com.
Old September 15, 2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Remington kid

A few years back I started useing the german made caps because I heard such good things about them when it comes to not failing due to weather.
I soaked six in water over night and caped my Remington the next morning. They all fired without fail.
Old September 16, 2005, 10:21 PM   #12
armedandsafe

I get my beeswax from toilet bowl rings. Watch the labels, though, as they have started to use artificial (petroleum based) stuff in the cheaper ones.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old September 30, 2005, 12:52 AM   #13
Redstick

Say "NO" to toilet wax!!!

Last edited by Redstick; September 30, 2005 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Delete!
Old September 30, 2005, 01:08 AM   #14
Redstick

Say "NO" to toilet wax!!!

Here's what ya NEED! Get yerse'f one a' Redstick's fine, fringed leather, beaded, rifle cases! I do possible bags to match, as well as other matching items. One of these cases will also protect yer smokepole from scratches and dings. Pictured here are a case made from smoked elk hide with beaded black elk, running, and the beads are backed with wool strips; and two cases of suede, one with peyote birds, one of eagles with flag wings; and a case with running Apaloosa Horses and Medicine Wheeles with feathers.
All my stuff's made the RIGHT way and takes many moons to complete! (LOTSA tiny beads! THOUSANDS! 100% Hand-sewn) You could choose from what I've got on hand or I'd do up a custom one for ya with your choice of leather and bead colors and designs. I have made several cases for WA hunters and they are proud of them and praise my work.
Redstick
Well, I'm having trouble gettin' the pic's to load on here! E-mail me and I'll send 'em along if they don't come through.

Last edited by Redstick; September 30, 2005 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Trying to add pic's!
Old September 30, 2005, 02:19 AM   #15
Redstick

Finally got the pictures to load!

Guess them rifle case pictures was too big so I shrunk 'em down and posted the pictures on the "Holsters, Gear, and Assessories" gunshow forum. Go there and see 'em and feel free to still e-mail for more pictures if'fn you like. And by the way, these pictures don't do 'em justice!