The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2005, 11:10 AM   #26
swmike

Since the theme is "reloading nightmare stories", here goes.
about 20 years ago I was talked into using a Lee Progressive press. I used it to load .223 for my CAR-15. Simple enough I thought. After a couple of hundred rounds, I started having problems with the primer feed and would get rounds with no primer seated. The powder would then drop through and jam the shell carrier. I would then have to work the carrier loose, remove all cases, clean up, and start over. One jam was particularly difficult and the carrier was really bound up. I absentmindedly moved my work light to the back of the press and was twisting the carrier. All of a sudden POW!!! I felt a tugging sensation at the back of my hand. The heat from the lamp had cooked off the full tray of small rifle primers and I had three large cuts across the back of my hand from the plastic cover. It looked like Freddie Kreuger had swiped at it. Six stitches at the emergency room from that moment of brain fade (moving the lamp where I did). I now only use the Lee Progressive to de-cap and size once fired brass when I have a large quantity. I also have to put up with my wife's comments when I go out to reload like "shall I call and make a reservation at the E-Room for you"?
Old July 3, 2005, 03:51 PM   #27
Leftoverdj

SWMike, I would not be so quick to blame the lamp. First, heat would have melted the plastic long before detonating a primer. Second, there have been hundreds of such incidents that did not involve a lamp.

I went you one better. After I had an magazine explosion with a Pro 1000, I converted the thing to a turret press. Like it as a turret, but it was a mighty poor excuse for a progressive.
Old July 3, 2005, 05:19 PM   #28
Peter M. Eick

To me, reloading is a lifelong hobby and a study in the scientific process. It is not rocket science, but it could be if you desired. It is not monkey business either.

Yes can really hurt yourself if you screw up. So don't screw up. That is easier said then done.

My suggestion if you are a newbie is get a lee handloader kit. $20 to start and then buy 1 lb of powder, some bullets and some primers. If you use the kits directions it is hard to make a bad load. You will learn the process and get very tired doing it (hammering the cases in and out). By the time you are fed up and want to move to a press you will have some safe loads down, the process down and some basic skills.

Look over the posts for a few months. What are the common themes? 1) Crimp, 2) Powder Selection, 3) Powder charge 4) bullet selection 5) all others... After observing the comments of others on the net, crimp is the thing that most of us screw up. Generally I think we overcrimp as a lot of folks.

Powder selection you can ask here and then cross check with a good loading manual.

Powder charge is the critical one. How often have you read about KB's because either someone put no powder in one case and 2x powder in the next. Pretty often.

So, be safe, recognize your skill level and take it slow. Learn, read, filter and keep good records. I hate to say it that I have forgotten more then I learned because 25 years ago when I started this odessy I did not keep good records. Absurd and downright stupid.

SO read this thread and take it slow. Also just when you think you have it figured out, step back and think again. I still to this day do not reload distracted, and fatigued, no music, tv or anything on in the background. Focus on the task at hand.

I have reloaded about 300,000 rnds so far and I have yet to screw up badly (meaning), but I have squibbed a couple and perfed a primer. I would guess my failure rate is 1 in 100,000 but frankly that should be 1 in 1,000,000 or higher.
Old July 3, 2005, 06:05 PM   #29
Edward429451

Quote:
with my wife's comments when I go out to reload like "shall I call and make a reservation at the E-Room for you"?
Oooo, women can be brutal. This is almost but not quite a bigger reason than safety to pay attention while reloading. Men can live & learn but women will carry it around for awhile.

Powder is indeed the biggest single issue it seems. I have thrown out two hoppers of powder at different times because I wasn't 100% positive exactly what I had in there. I was almost positive what it was but didn't want to take the chance of error with powder so pitched it. I leave the powder container on the table thats in the measure now, until it gets put away. Also, if I even get up to go get coffee and return, I rezero that scale. The dog might've bumped it, the kids / friends may have touched it. If the scale gets moved slightly on the table, I rezero. You can't be too safe with powder.

On a side note, I've been dumping unwanted/old/questionable podwer on the lawn & rosebushes for about the last year, since I've learned its a good ferrtilizer. I notice this year that the roses are a lot more healthy than any previous year and have turned from pink only to pink and red buds both!