The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 26, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
fishin665

New Shooter/Gun Owner

I've been lurking and reading for several weeks since buying my first hand gun, a Ruger SR40. I've been to the range once since then, and have not been back due to not being able to find ammo. I have 100 rnds I bought after the first trip but cannot find any now and don't want to run out. But that's not my question.

I am right handed/left eye dominant(I cannot close my left eye and keep right open) and don't want to start any bad habits before falling prey to them. I have to shoot a rifle left handed, its impossible to hit anything from the right. Shotguns are OK, but miss more than I should and am contemplating shooting lefty all summer to make hunting easier. The hand gun, which is better to do, shoot lefty or move the weapon to the left while shooting right handed?

I did both while at the range, I only shot 100 rnds, but moving the gun over to the left seemed to be the easiest for me and keeps everything in the strong hand. I can shoot lefty no prob, but its the manipulation of the gun that is very clumsy. At the range, moving everything left, I did fairly well, for never having shot a handgun before. Low and left for the most part. Any suggestions for helping with that. I was shooting from probably 20' or so, and for the most part stayed in the black.

2nd question:
I want to get my wife to start shooting with me too, so she is comfortable having the gun around too. She doesn't mind them being around, but if she has to use it I want her to be able to. She has an eye problem that blocks her vision(black spot) directly in front of her. She has up/down and periphial vision but nothing in front. Any suggestions on helping her learn to shoot. I don't know if she would do a one on one lesson with someone, but I may have to work on her for that.

Thanks for the help on this and all the other questions yall have answered during my lurking.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
shootniron

I think the correct thing to do is move the gun to the left as you did and practice with the controls until you get it right.

This Shooter's Wheel will help you identify what is causing accuracy problems and help you to work them out. Notice the instructions for left handed shooters in the text above the wheel. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (87.4 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by shootniron; January 26, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
FireForged

I am left handed right eye dominant and this is what I have done.

left arm extended then drift over to line up with my right eye (right hand supporting). I find that this work well at close ranges but at 25 yards I must close my right eye and make my left eye do the job. I suspect that the minor difference in angle as I drift my arm over to the right effects accuracey as distance increases.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #4
MTSCMike

Just a suggestion but if you shoot rifle and shotgun lefty then I would consider shooting pistol lefty as well. That way you only have to develop one good trigger finger.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

I am right-handed, left eye dominant, so handguns are on the right, where they should be, and rifles are on the left. I have two left-hand bolt rifles, the others are right hand, so it's a trick to use them quickly. The handgun is held in line with the left eye. All works well, it's just something you get used to.

Welcome to the shooting sports !
Old January 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
g.willikers

If you shoot handguns ok as a lefty, but have trouble with the controls, you might try practicing what the right handed action pistol competitors do, when shooting lefty.
They draw and put the gun into firing mode right handed, and then pass it to the left.
When finished firing, then pass the gun back to the right hand and reholster.
Reloads can done left handed, using the trigger finger for the mag release.
An ambi-dextreous safety will allow you to use either hand for the safety.
For problems, like clearing jams, they usually pass the gun back to the right hand.
Watch some videos of this and see how fast it can be done.

For your wife's vision problem, has she tried a dot scope?
Old January 27, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
alex0535

consider getting yourself a .22, it will be cheaper and easier to practice in.

The .40 has a pretty stout recoil for a new shooter and something like a flinch takes a lot less time to form than it does to get rid of. It would be a good thing to teach your wife with.

That being said, you are a lot like myself as far as your hands and eyes are concerned. Right handed, left eye dominant. It makes me prefer my left hand for shooting anything, you will probably find that you are the same.

As far as your wife's eye problem, this might take some special consideration for her to shoot accurately. Consider a decent red dot sight or laser on a home defense option in the long run. I think a red dot might work for her because even when the perspective of your eyes and the dot shift, the bullet goes where the dot is, the same idea applies to a laser. Is the spot in her vision in one eye or both?
Old January 27, 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Gster

Go ahead and use your right hand and your left eye. I've done it for years and I shoot just fine. I'm right handed, left eye dom. and shoot long guns lefty, hand guns right.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
jrothWA

Welcome and consider doing a little strength training...

especially using a 5lb hand weight [aka: dumbbell] for your arms and hands.

Also try squeezing a new tennis ball with yur fingers together and seperately with finger to strengthen those.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:07 PM   #10
fishin665

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. I think Im going to stay with moving the gun over to the left eye from the right hand.

Ill also be looking for a laser for the wife to help her out. When I get her something for the house(hopefully after supply comes back) it will probably be something smaller.

Thanks again for the welcomes and help.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:02 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I would suggest starting to work on left handed shooting. Get a toy gun to practice with. I am right handed. Left eye dominant. I shoot left handed for pistol, rifle, shotgun, and bow. I do handgun shooting with my right hand for practice in the event my shooting hand is unable to be used. If you practice it enough doing left handed becomes automatic, and your sighting for a flash sight picture will be faster.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:19 PM   #12
gundog5

I have been shooting hand guns for 40 years and am left handed and right eyed dominant. My recommendation is to pratice strong handed keeping both eyes open. You will most likely be pulling your shots slightly right. Adjust your rear sight to compensate. When and if you need that handgun in the middle of the night you will not need to worry about right hand/left hand/right eye/left eye, just get the gun into your hands and you will have much more confidence in protecting your family.