The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
CK_32

Am I getting a good deal?

Ok so I'm looking to buy a friends 870 express magnum. He has it set up like a express synthetic 870. Its got some wear on the tube extension from a cheap flashlight mount that rubbed it from recoil. Some wear around the hex bolts. And small scuffs on barrel. Bore and action look good. Everything else seems in decent shape.

What I'm getting:

870 express magnum (matte grey finish)
Blackhawks Specops recoil reduction stock
New shell follower (he lost the original cleaning it last week)
Blackhawk forend
Hoage forend
Factory stock
Streamlight polytac tac light
Standard light mount

You guys think $365 + DROS is a good deal for it?

How she sits now.

Last edited by CK_32; May 28, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
CK_32

What I plan on making it look like.

Last edited by CK_32; May 28, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
samsmix

G'nite.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

Last edited by samsmix; May 28, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: COMMENT WITHDRAWN DUE TO LACK OF SLEEP, AND COHERENT SENTENCES!
Old May 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
CK_32

^huh?

Anyone? Lol I just need a simple yea or no before I take the leap I want to make sure I'm getting a decent deal. Not too knowledgeable on shotguns.

Last edited by CK_32; May 28, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Drummer101

With how much you are changing I would start fresh.

Like this 870 but in 20ga (could not find the 12ga model for some reason).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+18+CYL+2RDEXT

Same style though.

I have the 12ga version.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
CK_32

I thought about buds but it's like an extra $75 fee + DROS to have a gun shipped to a FFL in CA. Forgot what it was called.

I was thinking either use it and get familiar with a 870 then turn around and flip it and make a few $$ and then get a 870 tactical later when I'm familiar with a shotgun. Or make it a project gun. And if I had to I was thinking of selling the extras.

And as far as the PG stock I've been reading up on it and might keep it I've been seeing a lot of good reviews on them.

And I was thinking since he already bought all the goodies I can screw around with the set up and see what works for me with out having to drop cash on the extra parts he's already gotten them in both set ups so I can just play with it and either sell the rest or find my set up.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Drummer101

For all the extras and that you are in CA it might be a good idea.

I was going of the idea that practically everything would be taken off to make it look like the one you posted a photo of in which case there would be a few left over parts.

But if you do get it I would not sell it.

With the 870 you can make it into what ever you want.

For a slug gun I say XS sights, for HD bead is more than enough. And the bead is more generally useful I think (other than lots of slugs) IMHO.

Personally I dont like a light on any of my guns or shell carrier and I find the normal stock to be more than enough and more comfortable.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8
CK_32

Yea the only thing I dont like about this is the finish it doesn't resist scratches or wear well at all.

But like I said looks wise that second shot gun is what I want to end up with. but when I play around with the different configurations ill probably find something more practical. This is 90% HD gun but I still want to go nuts in the desert reason I want the ghost sites and side saddle. But still keep it practical. But the only difference on the one below and the one I have is the ghost sites and side saddle. the light/forend is too but I don't like that.

Also what about selling the parts later? You think thats a bad idea? I think if I sold to the right people I could sell the extras for about $100 to make my purchase about $250 in the long run.

The other reason I don't like bead is because when I shot my cousins on clays I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. But HD is a different story. I just cant aim bead for sh**.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:00 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

CK 32, I may possibly have seen you shooting that at Prado. The reason you miss when aiming at the clays with a bead is that aiming with the bead likely gauantees a miss.

Your desire to keep a traditional non pistol grip stock is a good one.

Another reason for making it difficult to hit with a tactical 870 is if it has a fixed open choke. Your shot pattern tends to be blown out at ideal break points.

There is another guy, dastray with, a current thread who may want to sell his 870 field barrel. You may want to make a deal with him but keep your tactical barrel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488762
Old May 28, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
CK_32

No I've never shot this yet it's actually a buddy's who just hit me up the other day wanting to sell it to fund another project. And I don't really want to shoot clays or have any desire for any longer barrel thanks for the info tho. My cousin has the clay guns and is pretty darn good I'm more a paper shooter. And for some reason my girlfriends always love getting kicked by shot guns than shoot the AR or 700.

This is just to be a slug shooter some birdshot at paper and a HD guns I might throw a few shells at some clays for the heck of it but that's not really my thing.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:42 PM   #11
olddrum1

I always make my first offer insulting. Offer him two and see how bad he wants to work on that project.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
CK_32

He wanted $450 to begin with I told him $320 we worked back and forth to $360. Pretty set on it that's as low as hell go and as high as I will. I just wanted to make sure it's a fair to good price on my end before I make the jump.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:03 AM   #13
jasmith85

The first thing I would like to point out is I know very little about shotguns or the differences in models and the value of them. That said, I don't know how much the extra parts your friends has on it would cost but in my area I see used Remington 870's going for under $200 fairly often. In fact, there was an 870 Express Magnum is the local paper I read this morning for $175. The aftermarket parts on the shotgun you are looking at may make it worth it though.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:37 AM   #14
CK_32

Yea I've seen that but I havnt seen anything on my local CA forum for anything less than $400 for these. And the Remington site lists them at $399 or the parts he has on it they have that same shotgun for $695 on the site.

I always swore shot guns were like $200 new at shops when I first got into guns a few years back. But now that I'm shopping for one they all seem as much as a standard rifle now. But trust me I've been looking for a $200 one but havnt seen any accept 1 at my local shop for $275 but it was an old wing master with 28" barrel. Thought about it because those are great guns but I've been told its easier getting a tactical than converting those into tactical shot guns.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I think the price is a bit high, but you'll never need another shotgun if you have this.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

deleted by me
Old May 30, 2012, 02:47 AM   #17
TheKlawMan

I have been thinking on what you are trying to do and I don't understand what makes you think you can buy an 870 and flip it to make some money and then get the 870 tactical. You can get an 870 7 shot security model and add the ghost ring front blade, but if you want that I think it is best to go with the tactical, which also is tapped for chokes. The breecher choke is useless imo, but if you want to shoot slugs you may be glad to have the ability to screw in an ic or a modified choke. that and you don't have to mess around with having your receiver drilled and tapped plus gluing a blade over the front bead.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:01 AM   #18
CK_32

To honest I just want a normal 870 and his set up is exactly what I want the tactical just looks cool. And I just don't want to pay $400 for it and if I do decide to sell I get screwed and it only goes for like $120 or something and take a major loss. But I plan on keeping this I have yet to sell a firearm I own but there is always that possibility. I don't mind paying $400 for this shotgun but I don't want to pay $400 if it and all the stuff is only worth $300 or something way below and over pay. I havnt looked into shotguns enough to know better. Usually before I buy I research a ton and know everything about them but this one fell into my lap and I've always kinda wanted a shotgun but I don't know what the price points are.