The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Center fire rifle for deer

In Ohio we can not use a centerfire cartridge out of a long arm to kill deer except shotguns.

For many reasons this rule is foolish.

All of our neighboring states with similar population density and topography allow rifles/carbines.

Has anyone ever seen a graphic of this law? I just saw a graphic of carry in Restaurants law for each state and thought it really got the point across.
http://opencarry.org/restaurant.html
Old December 12, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
jrothWA

Unfortunately, Ohio is more population density...

than neighboting states.
Michigan the lower half of the Lower Peninsula ( Muskeagon to Saginaw bay), is shotgun or muzzleloader.
Pa has spotted density around majoe cities but sparse in between.

Either use the muzzleloader or handgun for best results
Old December 12, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen a graphic of it, but NY has had the same stupid law for decades.

We are slowly getting it changed. County by county is allowing rifle hunting and, wonder of wonders, no more accidents than ever. Gee, who'da thunk.

Pennsylvania has been rifle for a long time and their accident rate is lower than NY.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4
ChiefMuzz

Quote:
Pennsylvania has been rifle for a long time and their accident rate is lower than NY.
I call it the Plaxico Burress effect. No problems while in PA. Move to NY, shoot yourself.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I call it the Plaxico Burress effect. No problems while in PA. Move to NY, shoot yourself.
Yeah, it usually is themselves too. That what gets me about the law. Almost every accident you here of is either self-inflicted or at ranges under 75 or 50 yards.

Pretty well doesn't much matter if you shoot yourself through the chest with a 30-06 or a 12ga and if you can't tell a human from a deer at 50 yards then the choice of firearm isn't going to matter.
Old December 12, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Shotgun slugs are also well known for having wicked ricochets, splashes, and tumbling to who knows where.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Zhe Wiz

Quote:
Shotgun slugs are also well known for having wicked ricochets, splashes, and tumbling to who knows where.
Agreed! The one deer I've shot with my 7mm-08 is a perfect example. 40 yard shot, bullet went in and never came out. I've NEVER seen THAT happen with a shotty before. My nephew (a different one!) shot a deer with his .270 WSM. I don't remember the range, but he had the SAME thing happen - no exit wound.

Sure in some situations rifles can be more dangerous, but I'd say overall they are no moreso, and quite possibly are less so in typical situations.

Zhe Wiz
Old December 12, 2009, 08:37 PM   #8
MTT TL

One way around this that I have seen localities elsewhere adopt it to allow it but from a stand only. It does away with the argument of bullet traveling well beyond the target.