The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Hoosier_Daddy

Success with M&P trigger kit install - barely.

Never tried "gun smithing" before So there I was, trying to install an Apex trigger kit in my new M&P 9 when, surprise! This little plastic piece falls out and hits the floor. Oh crap, where did that come from? Turns out no big deal, just a plug to fill the lock port. Schwew!
Then I think I'm almost done and again I hear something metallic and rather light hit the basement floor and bounce around a bit. What was that? All I found was a little piece of metal that looked like the remains of a bent and partial staple. Almost threw it away. Searched the floor for way too long. So now the takedown lever wants to slide out. Took the trigger retainer back out and saw where that partial staple looking thingy was the take down lever retainer.
Glad I figured it out cause I didn't want to call S&W to ask what part holds that lever and how can I get one.

I watched the Apex video but I didn't catch a warning about that take down lever retainer.

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; February 8, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2
kahrguy

Way to go. Trial and error gunsmithing at home is fun after it done and WORKS. Remeber in the future and old white sheet on the floor helps when finding small pieces and white towel in the work bench. ha
Old February 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Hoosier_Daddy

Yep, a white towel on the workbench and on the floor would have helped.

The wood chips on the floor from a previous hand planing project was an issue to deal with.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4
chris in va

So...how is the trigger now? Vast improvement or just better?
Old February 8, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Hoosier_Daddy

Glad you asked. i went to the indoor range today to see how it worked out. What a difference! +++++
Now keep in mind, this M&P 9 is very very new and only been fired about 100 times due to issues with ammo rationing on my part. But the standard trigger was heavy and ,well, I felt this was causing an accuracy issue. This Apex Competition trigger kit is noticeably lighter and I was shooting tighter groups tonight. But again only about 150 rounds through it tonight along with 50 through my M&P Pro to compare.
I will put an Apex Competition kit in my M&P Pro before April 13.

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; February 8, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
jmortimer

M&P 9mm with Apex kit is the best there is. Too bad it takes Apex to make it right.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Hoosier_Daddy

I am glad Apex is there. The kit worked great. I'm not much of an instruction type of guy but things went wrong and then my search for instructions provided limited results. The Apex U-tube video was helpful but for novice "gun smiths" a bit of a notice about the take down lever retainer "spring" would have been appreciated.

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; February 9, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
kahrguy

I was worried more about haveing a quality alen wrench and maybe haveing heat the set screw. But came loose easily and all went well after that. I left the stock trigger return spring in ours and ended up with a lighter trigger pull of 4lbs.

You are right say'n Glad Apex is there. Make a bad trigger pull very nice.