The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2009, 12:07 AM   #1
cchardwick

For 223, what is 'armor piercing'?

Is a full metal jacket considered armor piercing? Or does the bullet have to have some other characteristic, perhaps steel in the bullet? Just wondering if I could buy bullets that are considered armor piercing. I'd like to run some tests on materials to come up with a new light weight bullet stopping material using some really aggressive bullets.
Old January 12, 2009, 03:49 AM   #2
butta9999

I'm pretty sure armor piercing bullets have some sort of hardened steel or depleted uranium in the tip. The full metal jacket is just a copper jacket coating lead.. While it is harder than HP and SP i dont think its considered armor piercing..

I could be wrong
Old January 12, 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

FMJ is NOT considered AP ammo either legally or physically. It will pass through soft body "armor" but that is not the armor that is referred to in definitions. In fact, it is hard for many rifle calibers NOT to pass through soft body armor even with hollowpoint or softpoint ammo.

There may be AP .223 ammo, but I don't know of any that is classified as such. The SS109 ammo is said to have a "penetrator" in it which is nothing but a little bitty steel bar about the diameter of a short lenth of metal coat hanger.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Shoney

Armor piercing bullets have a sharply pointed hardened steel projectile wrapped in a regular copper jacket. This permits the bullet to be fired in rifled barrels and not harm the lands.

Upon striking the target, the copper jacket peals away and the steel projectile keeps on going, provided the angle of incidence doesn't cause it to ricochet.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 12, 2009, 07:52 AM   #5
CowTowner

More Info on AP Ammo

Here's a little more on AP Ammo:

http://www.snipersparadise.com/equipment/ammunition.htm
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 12, 2009, 09:07 AM   #6
cookhj

whatever sarah brady says because we all know she's the most knowledgable firearms expert....EVAR.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

The "AP" ammo CowTowner notes from Sniper's Paradise is interesting. If you notice the results of the plate hits, there is a tiny hole in most where the tiny little rod went through but nothing else. It is composed of a copper jacket over a predominately lead core with a small steel rod inside. It is not a full or mostly steel core.

They are also testing this again 300 HB steel. This is fairly mild compared to what is used by steel target manufacturers such as MGM who use 500 HB (or rather, 500 Brinnell) http://www.mgmtargets.com/products/p...age.php?cat=15
Old November 30, 2009, 11:39 PM   #8
realsoldier

223 ap

the army designation for the 5.56 armor piercing round is "M995"
Old December 1, 2009, 03:11 AM   #9
bamaranger

get this

Was at a LE range the other day and when we were done, I ambled over to the rifle side and there were some guys accuracy testing M995 armor piercing ammo in M16 rifles (not carbines) They were an armament contractor who had been selected to try and improve accuracy w/ that ammo, and were experimenting w/ leade, twist, rifling depth etc to improve same. they had about two dozen rifles they had rebarrled and were shooting for group.

Using a machine rest mounted on a trailer, one guy spotting, another posting targets, third mounting the rifles and running the button .

Accuracy at 100 yds was about 3MOA on the avg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They said that was typical, and why the search was on for improvement.
The issue is that the steel penetrator in the GI spec ammo cannot easily be centered during formation/production, ,and the bullet is thus out of balance as it rotates in flight to the target.

Nice guys and great of them to let me hang.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:35 AM   #10
res45

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...56mm_ammo.html
Old December 1, 2009, 08:44 AM   #11
wncchester

The term "armor piercing" is clear in it's primary deffination for military use. But, the word is a poorly understood as "sniper" or "assault weapon" or "cop killer" or even "bullet" due to the ignorant (aka, "lame stream media") mouthing words they know not.

Strickly speaking about small arms ammunition it refers to bullets encasing hardened steel cores within a copper/lead sabot that looks no different from any other military type bullet. Some have added "AP" to any full patch bullet, including handgun ammo, regardless of being technically incorrect.

You don't state what you will be working with but I can't imagine any practicle body armor that will stop an actual A.P. round. And, if you are working on something other than that, you iwll need REAL AP stuff to test with, not common soft point or even FMJ bullets, OR have your people better define what they are striving to stop. IMHO.

Fact is, any high velocity bullet - m.v. in excess of perhaps 2,700 fps - has the potential to pierce types of body armor, even a (relitively slow) soft point hunting bullet. So, someone needs to define what they mean when they say "armor", and how thick they expect to protect from.

Years ago, I consistantly punched holes thrught scrap pieces of low carbon steel plate from 3/8" to 1/2" thick with .223, .22-250, .243, .270, .308, .30-06 and .458 Win. at 25 yards when shooting various common soft point/HP bullets. And, done right, a case hardened target arrow point can be driven through 1/8" mild steel, but the shaft usually shatters!