The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2000, 10:47 AM   #1
Hal

My first attempt at loading the .45ACP has been a great success. Function is 100%, feed is 100%, accuracy is spooky,(in a good way). Should I be happy about it or di#k with it? Methinks I got real lucky on the first try as far as the load goes, and should be happy about it.

Here's the load:
4.X grain of Unique (sorry, don't want to say exactly)
S&B brass, once fired
CCI primer
230 gr cast lead slug, RN
Gun-Kimber Custom Target.

Best grouping-Off hand, 5 shots at 25 FEET, not yards,
sub 1 inch, bordered on 3/4" to 7/8"-I fired this multiple times on different targets-Honestly, just one of those days when I could do no wrong as several other targets, fired from other guns/loads were also above my usual level.

Only complaint. Unique is dirty. Real dirty, and I did have a tiny bit of leading. The leading cleared out after firing 2 jacketed rounds, so I can't use that as an excuse.

Now what? Just be happy and keep cranking them out?
Old February 13, 2000, 12:40 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Rae,

Congratulations.

4.X sounds a little light. When I was using Unique, I shot 6.X with no problems. These days I load lighter, though.

The next thing is to decide what other bullets you might like to shoot and start working loads for them, although .......... the 230 gr RN bullet is what the .45 ACP was designed to shoot.

Maybe you could get the .45 Super recoil spring and start loading for that. Once you start reloading, there's no end to the fun.

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner
Old February 13, 2000, 02:25 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There ARE cleaner powders. So, that gives you a "whole 'nother excuse" to do more "research" to shoot just as good with the newer powder, right?

A key is that the function is 100%, but that has nothing to do with the brand of powder.

Best to you, Art
Old February 13, 2000, 03:33 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

Just because your first load went bang doesn't mean there isn't a lot of territory to cover. When you consider the number of powders (including some shotgun powders like Unique) times the number of different projectiles, times the number of different primers, times the number of different seating tolerances, there is a whole lot more you can do.

First of all, clean up you dirty powder problem. Have you tried Bullseye or Winchester 231? Have you loaded lead bullets, plated bullets, as well as FMJ. How about truncated vs round nose.

Bud, you just got started. And, no, I didn't forget to mention that you are reloading for only one pistol caliber. What about 9mm, or 40 S&W? How about 30-06 or .308.

It is a great sport and reloading is very much a part of it.....maybe the more mental part. Have fun! Regards, Mikey

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!
Old February 13, 2000, 09:21 PM   #5
Hal

Oops, sorry to mislead you folks a bit. This is my first loading for the .45ACP. I reload for several other calibers, but this was the first time for the .45ACP. I use Accurate #5, Bullseye, Universal Clays, 2400 and Win 231 already for other calibers. I wanted to use cast slugs for the .45ACP, and interchange the slug with a Cowboy level loading for my .45LC Ruger and Winchester. I think I just happened on the right combo for my Kimber with the load I started at. At first I though that the load was on the light side, being more than 10% below the data posted on Alliant's site. I wasn't real sure about the S&B brass, as it was scrounged from the local range, so I loaded only 5 rounds to try it out, keeping the load on the very conservative side. I was rather surprised that the Kimber functioned 100%, seeing that the load was rather underpowered. I loaded and shot 5, then after seeing the results, I loaded another 50. Out of the second batch of 50, I did have one that failed to go into battery, but I think the fault was in the poor job I did on the taper crimp,or bullet seating. I am using this load as a paper puncher, and accuracy and functionality are my primary concern, so it looks like I hit it right the first time. Believe me, the dirt is a small price to pay for the results I have gotten, and I could not be more pleased
Art, I think you pegged it pretty well, it ain't fix, so I won't broke it Think I'll just bookmark this as a super-accurate loading for the Kimber, and try a few rounds in the Colt Commander to see if they work as well. Maybe I'll be super lucky and have it work that way. Whatever the result, it should be interesting. BTW, the Colt is far more accurate than the Kimber is, so I am kind of anxious to see what happens.

Yeah, Unique is dirty stuff, but I like it because it is so forgiving, and has been good to me as far as accuracy is concerned. I did pick up a pound of Win 231 since I used it years ago with good results. I had a pound of it that was someting like 18 years old, and since I value my body parts more than $17.00, I just dumped the stuff out in the yard and set a match to it. Pity though, cause i read a discussion here a few weeks later about using old powder. Oh well, it was a fun time anyhow , plus the metal can had a bit of rust on it(lets you know how old it was)

Mikey, not to worry, I plan on reloading the 30-06 and the 30-30 some time this summer. Gotta replace the Lee with a Dillon 550B first though I kind of have this thing for lead slugs though instead of jacketed. I find that a good hard cast lead slug will outshoot most jacketed rounds in a handgun. You are 100% correct though, it is a most satisfying pastime, and is a large part of the shooting fun. It caught me off guard though to have my starting point turn out so well. After reloading the .44Mag and .38/357 for a number of years, I had expected more trial and error with the .45ACP.
Old February 13, 2000, 10:16 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I used 5.8 grains of 231 with a 200-grain SWC in my .45ACP to shoot major in IPSC. Out of laziness, I used that same powder charge in .44 Mag with 250-grain lead for plinkers in a Red Hawk. Felt like no recoil, but more oomph than the .45 on steel plates.

My pet '06 loads for 50 years have been 53.5 grains of 3031 behind a 110-grain bullet, and 52.5 grains of 4064 behind a 150-grain. I suggest starting some 3 grains below these, following good old General Principle's orders. Dunno why, but I've never used 4895...

Fun, ain't it?

, Art