The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Gataochii

Iver Johnson TP22 extractor

Had to purchase a new extractor, as the old one wore the "catch" off and would no longer pull and eject the spent casing. (I have to add, I was lucky as hell to find one NOS). So, now that I have the damned thing, I'm at a loss as to how to safely remove the pin that holds it in place. I attempted to push it out with an old tiny drill bit, but it's really in there tight and I'm afraid of damaging it to the point where it can't be re-used. (because, of course, the supplier that had the extractor is out of stock on the pin...) I don't WANT to hammer it out, but it looks like it's my only option at this point.

Any ideas or suggestions? I miss my little .22.....

edit-added pic of the offending part

Last edited by Gataochii; August 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
PetahW

I would just punch/drift the pin out.

Pins are usually pretty stout, but if you somehow damage it beyond use, it can be replaced by any appropriately-sized drill bit shank, ground to length.

Old August 4, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Gataochii

Tyvm for the quick reply. It's soaking in PB Blaster at the moment, then I'll try punching it again. I'm guessing it's one of those "never been removed ever" parts that's just going to be stubborn. Not being a gunsmith, but not afraid to attempt a fix on my own, I wasn't sure just how much abuse it could take.
Old August 4, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

These little pins have a beveled end on one end, which should be aimed down, so you would drive it out from the bottom up. They generally swell the head or bump this type of pin, for a tight fit, so you drive them out from the beveled end. Just use a punch a shade smaller than the diameter, and a 6 oz. ball pein to tap it out. Last, watch to not loose the spring.
Old August 4, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Be very careful driving it out. The slide is zinc, and much softer than the pin or your punch.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Gataochii

Finally got around to getting this completed. Bought a punch to fit and popped it right out, swapped the extractor, put it all back together and ran 100 rounds through it with only one misfeed ( which has nothing to do with the extractor ).

Good news, she works

Thanks again for the advice.