The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2010, 09:11 AM   #1
darkgael

A pleasant development....

A nice and totally unexpected thing happened the other day when I returned from a morning Trap shoot.
I've just started this Trap shooting business and am finding it great fun. I was describing to my wife the sense of precision and rhythm that I find in the shooting of a round. I was explaining the game to her when she said "Do you think that I might like that? Could I try it?"
I have been shooting pistol and rifle matches and grouse hunting for years and she has never expressed an interest.
I'd sure like to accommodate her. The only shotgun I have that might fit her, though, is a little .410 SXS. And she has never fired a gun. Also - quite petite, only 5'2".
I'm thinking about this.
Any suggestions?
Pete
Old April 27, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
BigJimP

A good gague for a young / new shooter is a 20ga ( if you can get real light recoil loads ) - even better is a 28ga - but the shells are expensive if you don't reload.

A .410 for a new shooter can be a little frustrating - size of pattern - 1/2oz of shot is a real disadvantage for Trap especially - but not impossible.

If you have access to a decent semi-auto / especially gas operated - so it really absorbs the recoil - in a 20ga / or a 12ga ( but find some 7/8 oz loads at 1150 fps ) to really keep the recoil down there as well) but the gas operated semi-auto will absorb the recoil pretty well. A Beretta 390, 391 or a Remington 1100 or 11-87 are good choices. Some models were made for young shooters - so length of pull will fit her better.

Some clubs have a few guns for rent / or one of the shooters you've met at the club might help you out - most of us have extra guns around / some guns we keep just for new shooters, kids - like the local boy scout groups, etc ....so ask around a little / something with a shortened stock ...
Old April 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
oneounceload

Seconding the motion to see if they have guns for rent, or possibly - one of your shooting buddies can bring one for her to borrow. Whatever it is, it most likely will not fit her perfectly, so use the lowest-recoiling target ammo you can find.

Excellent news! Let's hope we get another into the addiction......
Old April 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #4
zippy13

Do NOT have her shoot trap with a SxS .410-bore! You might as well have her throw rocks at the targets. Trap specific guns have high ribs to give the minimum obstruction to seeing the targets as possible. A SxS is the exact opposite, it's wide configuration will hide the targets.

There are many women of your wife's stature who shoot standard 12-ga trap guns. The secret is the stocks have been properly sized to correctly fit the ladies. What model gun are you now shooting... perhaps you could get a second stock for your wife, or put on an adjustable stock that will accommodate both of you.

Teaching your wife to shoot can be like teaching her to drive -- some things are best left to the pros. Perhaps you could surprise her with a private lesson with the club pro. Or, look for a firearms introduction class by the NRA's Women on Target.

Last edited by zippy13; April 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: See PM
Old April 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

Yes, a semi-auto in 20 gauge would likely be a good way to go for a shotgun for your wife.

If your club has some youth models she can try, that would be a good starting point. The best thing would be for her to pick one she likes... and have it professionally fitted to her.

And if you want to give her -- and yourself -- a great present, spring for some professional instruction, rather than trying to teach her yourself. Significant others, no matter how well-intentioned, tend to make lousy teachers...
Old April 27, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Scorch

You can find Remington 1100s chambered for 2-3/4" 20 gauge pretty cheap, everybody wants 3" 20 gauge to hunt with. I had one given to me a few years ago because the owner could not sell it and he knows I shoot 2-3/4" 20 ga in my older A-5. It hardly kicks at all, and just flat busts the birds. Look around and see if you can find her one. And congratulations on having a new shooting partner.
Old April 27, 2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Waterengineer

Cheek weld

Cheek weld, cheek weld cheek weld.

Make sure she does it.

Seems like the ladies get shy about the recoil.

Cheek weld - she will - ultimately have more fun.
Old April 27, 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
mete

First get a "youth gun" version with shorter stock which will fit her better. 20 ga guns often have a smaller and lighter weight which negates the advantage. Women in Sporting Clays shoot 12 ga.A semi-auto is the way to go and use one of the various 'reduced recoil loads .
Old April 27, 2010, 05:55 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

Mete is right. Buy a youth auto and shoot training load 20ga by Fiocchi. They are extremely easy to shoot and offer litte recoil.
Once she gets used to the gun, recoil, noise, etc increase the load to 3/4oz and then to 7/8.
Have her shoot at stationary birds mounted on a 6-foot hight hanger.
That's how I started my 5'2" honey.
Old April 27, 2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Beentown71

hows bout a 28?

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 27, 2010, 11:03 PM   #11
oneounceload

Some women I shoot with, who are in their 60's and 70's shoot 8-1/4# 12 gauges. Their stocks FIT them to a "T", and they have no issues. Both are about 5' to 5'2", so never rule out one for a women. It's amazing how and what they can do when the gun fits.

Once you have the gun fit down, try her shooting light target loads- see if the club has a field not being used where they can set the trap to only fire straight-away targets. If allowed and safe, have her start right behind the trap house to get a feel, then slowly move her back a few yards at a time until she is at the 16. Let her get comfy there, then put the trap in motion.

A third party who is versed in coaching would be best as you go get a cup of coffee or three and stay away. No offense, but spouses seem to take instruction from a third party better than their own spouse.

Good luck!
Old April 27, 2010, 11:53 PM   #12
zippy13

+1 to 1-oz's remarks

By the way…
Some of the petite women I know are not to be messed with. With their correctly fitting 12-ga guns, they'll pluck you like a ripe chicken and leave you wondering why you ever considered wagering on your own shooting skills.
Old April 28, 2010, 06:33 AM   #13
darkgael

thanks

Thank you for the replies.
About the .410 - I hadn't planned, and still do not, to have her use it for any shooting (though the suggestions about static targets is a good one). I was just mentioning that it is the only SG that I have that is near her size.
I will look into the suggestions but, frankly, am not going to invest in a gun until she is committed - otherwise it sits on the shelf or gets sold at a loss.
I can probably borrow a gun that will fit her.
The Trap club that I have been using does not rent guns.
Instruction is a definite possiblity. I could certainly use some.
Quote:
A third party who is versed in coaching would be best as you go get a cup of coffee or three and stay away. No offense, but spouses seem to take instruction from a third party better than their own spouse.
That is really good advice.
Looking forward to seeing what develops.
Pete