The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2015, 06:58 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

NRA Whittington Center Adventure Camp

Adventure Camp is like Appleseed on Steroids. We have 56 kids per group the camp lasts eleven full days. For the most part they sleep in cabins and have youth counselors who are assisted by grads of the program who are themselves counselors in training.

Students are divided into four groups and there are over four shooting disciplines (rifle, shotgun, pistol and muzzle loader) besides archery, knot tying, tent raising, fire starting, outdoor cooking, etc. taught at Adventure Camp. Other activities include swimming, outdoor survival, hunter education, hunting ethics, tracking (blood trail), wildlife management and compass reading. The attendees IMO represent some of the finest youth in America. They are attentive, eager to learn, are not glued to their smart phones or music devices, respectful, behaved and wear their pants up and hats straight.

There are instructors for each and I and another are the ML instructors. Last night We had two Savage .308 rifles (one Leupold scope and the other Nightforce) sighted in at 1100 yards. We divided our group into two and I had seven on one rifle. While six students watched, I coached and a student counselor (graduate of Adventure Camp) played spotter. We got each of our kid to hit this huge white metallic buffalo at over 1k yards. The students are offered to keep their cartridge case (no one turns that down). It is so rewarding to see the smiles on their faces when they are told they hit it.

With respects to muzzle loading, they are given a very brief history of muzzle loading, the various projectiles and the types of powders or propellants. Everything is shot off hand. The first ten are at 25 yards against paper. The next five are 25 yards against metallic chicken silhouettes, then five at prairie dog silhouettes at 50 yards and finally five a steel buffaloes at 100 yards. Their ML are loaded with 50 grains of some black powder substitute and it is upped to 70 grains for the buffaloes. Kids are taught the saying, "Powder, patch and ball or it won't shoot at all." During lag times, I question the kids on simple things like who wrote the Declaration of Independence (and not, it's not George Washington), the expected rate of fire for a Revolutionary War soldier, safety rules, etc. The ones who answer right are given an empty percussion cap tin and told to use it to make char cloth. When their course of fire is over, they are instructed on how to clean their muzzle loaders.

The program and Whittington has many sponsors (We're staying in the Leupold Cabin) and many of our firearms have been donated by the industry. The muzzle loaders are from Thompson Center (Hawkens) and Lyman (Great Plains). Bench Mark knives are given to the instructors, counselors, counselors-in-training AND the students who are encouraged to carry them during their stay here.

Some of the things we try to instill is an appreciation of our heritage. These kids are the future of this country and the lessons they learn here at Whittington should serve them through their lives.
Old June 21, 2015, 06:32 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yesterday we had our third group of kids at the range shooting at the White Buffalo. Before they shot, I told them that everyone we had this week were able to hit it and none of them will disappoint us or ruin our record of success. One had problems and I could see he was growing frustrated (poor cheek weld) and he was coached onto the target. On his tenth and final bullet, he hit it. Big grin (and a lot of relief). None of our kids disappointed us yesterday and they all hit the buffalo. So did I. Afterward, we assembled the kids beneath the plywood sign that is cut out like the steel buffalo. The sign tells the distance and dimensions of the buffalo.

Today we have our last group of kids (there are four groups). It will be all day with them (8 am to 9 pm). The one bad thing about these evening events is the skeeters are out. It's amazing that none of the kids have been abducted by them.
Old June 22, 2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Skans

Sounds like a lot of fun...too bad it's just for kids!
Old June 22, 2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Pahoo

Enjoy teacing kids !!!

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy teaching everyone but mostly the kids. They have not had enough time to develop an EGO. The adults are a different story. With the kids , you get honest observations and comments. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2015, 06:47 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

We have one kid with a big ego. He had all these NRA rockers for shooting and told us he shot expert this and that. It didn't show at the range and I jokingly threatened to strip him of his rockers.

During lunch, a Whittington Van drives up and delivers bag lunches and water to us. Often times it contains a meat sandwich and a pre-packaged peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Since I don't care for factory made sandwiches, I announce, "The prize is a peanut butter sandwich." The sandwich is held aloft for all to see. "Show of hands, who can tell me what the purpose of the Second Amendment is?" Most kids know what it is, but don't know why. I then enter a dialogue explaining how it is there to reserve in The People the power to overthrow a tyranny. The kids are stunned by this revelation. The sandwich is then given to the winner and we discuss it some more. Later, I'll announce, "The prize is an apple. Who can tell me the loading procedure of a muzzle loader?" It's a good way to tell if the kids listened to what we had to tell them (it's powder, patch and ball or it won't shoot at all).

BTW, I once asked, "What is the velocity of an unladen swallow?" The only person who knew (and wasn't qualified to win) was a counselor-in-training.

Skans - it is fun and like yourself, I want to take some of those classes too. However, I'm working at the muzzle loading and can't attend.
Old June 24, 2015, 08:04 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

No kids were eaten last night by the bears or mountain lions.

Accompanied a small group of kids on a trail walk. They carry one scoped bolt action rifle (Ruger M77 in .223) and must practice hunter safety (crossing a fence alone and with someone else), various carrying positions, various shooting stances. It's a two mile hike in which they are to spot game (wood backed pictures of various critters); some of which they can shoot (coyote, antelope, stag deers but not does, javelinas, bear and some that they can't shoot but must spot like doves, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, donkey and elephant, sasquatch and rattlesnake). It's a two mile hike up the hills and down. It was fun and takes about 1 hr and 20 minutes. Their instructors stood by with .308 rifles to protect the kids if a bear or cat showed up (and wouldn't run away).

Other kids got to shoot archery (flying disks), steel challenge (five plates and a turkey) with handguns and tomahawk throwing. They must cook their own breakfast, lunch and dinner.

At night they have story telling by a campfire.
Old June 25, 2015, 10:03 AM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
some that they can't shoot but must spot like doves, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, donkey and elephant, sasquatch
Wait! What the? You got a sasquatch target?
I had no idea them critters had been known to be in New Mexico.
And just where did the picture of the beast come from? Folks have been looking for them for decades now.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 26, 2015, 11:24 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

The purpose of the walk is to test the camper on what they have learned during the week. Each has a "hunting license" which tells them what "game" they may harvest. Anything not on the license may not be shot at and this includes the sasquatch (drawing based on the famous image of the walking sasquatch). The camper will receive demerits for shooting anything not on their license. Along the walk they are rated on the various carry methods they were shown (shoulder carry, elbow, cradle, two handed and trail) and the various shooting positions (sitting, prone, off hand).
Old June 27, 2015, 02:59 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Got the OK from Whittington to set up an Adventure Camp kiddie trail walk with their smokepoles. Logistics are a nightmare. I don't want the kids to be loading with their ramrods (we have steel rods with brass muzzle protectors) and don't want them traipsing through the woods with an extra rod and no possibles bag. Additionally, they loaded from a bench that had a notch so they didn't have the muzzle pointed at their heads. We don't want them to load in the field without some safety built in. So, methinks we'll have shooting stations and a couple of tables from which they could load from. For a notch on a folding table, I'll get some wood and cut a v-notch into it. It can be c-clamped onto the table. We'll leave their accoutrements (flask, loading rod, patches, balls, cleaning stuff) on the tables and make them load from it, walk up to the firing spot and cap from there.
Old July 12, 2015, 09:17 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

So we didn't do the muzzle loading trail walk. It would take too much time to set up. Anyway, the camping portion was washed out by the rain. The tents leaked and several sleeping bags got wet. A cook tent almost blew over too. The camping was cancelled during the second night and the wet kids were brought back to the cabins.

Another instructor went up to each cabin and asked why they were still wearing wet clothes. He told them to go inside, strip and get into the bags and then have their clothes dried while they warmed up. That probably saved us from having a lot of sick kiddies. The kids were happy not to camp out in the rain.

We shot the mortar a lot and they enjoyed it.