The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2002, 06:35 AM   #1
Chipster

Torque Wrench For Scope Mounting?

Say a fellow wanted to tighten scope base screws and scope ring screws to prescribed torque levels. Where would I find the appropriate tool? I checked Sears website and found a neat 1/4 inch socket drive screwdriver for only $149!!! Yikes!!! That's more than I paid for the mounts!!!
Old August 4, 2002, 07:40 AM   #2
Lefty

I'd recommend "forget it". First off, you'll be measuring in "inch-pounds" and even some of the more expensive torque wrenches don't read below 30 in-lbs. IMHO torque of small #6 scope hardware is below that. Those that "might" read to a lower scale just don't prove out, based on my experience with lower torque values, it only fools you into thinking you're at the true value.

Just tighten them in a bolt-pattern sequence, taking your time to tighten them up equally and slowly. Now, for action screw torque, they work super !!
Old August 4, 2002, 07:53 AM   #3
Hkmp5sd

The "snap" or "click" type torque wrenches can handle the lower values. They do not have a dial to watch while setting torque. You set the wrench to whatever torque you want and start turning it. Once that torque is reached, it will snap. This minimizes the chance of over torquing it.

Most torque wrenches are fairly expensive. Since your only going to use it once (or very infrequently), it's not worth buying one.

You may want to check and see if there is a local tool rental company and just rent one for a day. Another option, while not very honest, is to buy the torque wrench, mount the scope and then take the wrench back the next day. Tell them you don't like it and want your money back.

NRA Life Member
Old August 4, 2002, 11:48 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

For critical applications...
"Snap or click" types should be calibrated often.

I agree with above....not worth the bother unless you already have the equipment.

Sam
Old August 4, 2002, 01:12 PM   #5
Mike Baugh

Sears sells a Craftsman microtorque torque wrench in inch pounds for $69. They have it on sale about once a month for $58 or so. This is the same wrench sold on the Iron Brigade Armory website, along with the Seekonk. It might do your base screws, according to their size, but I dont think it will go low enough for your ring screws, it only goes down to about 30 inch pounds. I would do the base and rings by feel, but definately use a torque wrench for your action screws. Good luck, Mike
Old August 4, 2002, 03:20 PM   #6
Chipster

Thanks for all the info!

I am mounting Talley bases and rings, which are interesting in that the four base screws are all different lengths! I really like the design and construction of the components. It seems much easier to mount than the traditional rings and bases. Not a lot of aligning to do, as the components only go together one way. Sleek, small, yet robust.