The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2001, 08:08 PM   #1
Mike Baugh

Headspace gauges

I am thinking about buying some headspace gauges for an AR. Which ones/brand are considered the "ones" to buy? I am assuming I need just the "Go" and "No go" gauges? I want these for when I look at used AR's and for keeping tabs on my own and friends rifles. Thanks, Mike...
Old December 28, 2001, 08:52 PM   #2
Joe Portale

I believe that Fulton Armory (www.fultonarmory.com) sells these gauges. If you are going to spring for these, maybe you should also invest in a field gauge, also.

A cheap and dirty trick for headspace checking on a bolt rifle is simply to put a small piece of masking tape on the base. One piece of tape, the bolt should close, if it doesn't headspace is too tight. Two pieces, bolt shouldn't close, if it does, your too loose. Three layers and the bolt closes...uh oh!

Obviously this is not a precision test. But it can give you some indication of a problem. I have never done this on a AR, Garand or any of my semi-auto's. I may try it out later. If you beat me to it, please post your results. Like I said, it is a fast and dirty checking method and does not replace gauges.

The gauges sold by Midway www.midwayusa.com are good units and fair price. But I would be sure that the .223 Remington gauge that they sell is compatable with the military specifications of your AR15 barrel. All .223's are not the same.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old December 28, 2001, 08:57 PM   #3
slickpuppy

Bushmaster sells them. So does Brownells. You can do a search on them to find the websites.
Old December 29, 2001, 01:28 PM   #4
Cris

I have read, no matter which brand you purchase, just be sure you purchase the same brand of go/no-go in that particular caliber.