The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 21, 2001, 12:02 AM   #1
redneck

Anyone built a Hawken kit or something similar?

Saw .50 and .54 percussion or flintlock kits in an old Cabelas catalog and they look like they'd be a pretty cool project.
I've never shot a balckpowder gun before and don't know much about shooting or building one. But it still sounds neat.
I make knives as a hobby, and even though I'm still in the learning process on that, I think I have enough tools and skills that would carry over that I could build one of the rifles. I'm talking about a pre-milled kit, not carving my own stock. And I have some friends who black powder hunt so they could probably help me out.
So how hard do you guys think they are to put together? Does blowing my face/hand off sound like a good possibility
I can't wuit tossing the idea around even though I wouldn't get to do much with it, if I built one.
Thanks
Old December 21, 2001, 12:22 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I put together a Thompson-Center Renegade flintlock.

Pretty straightforward, time consuming, but a lot of fun for a 17-year-old.

I wanted a browned barrel and furniture, but had a lot of trouble getting the shades that I wanted with the different types of steel. I finally broke down and had my gunsmith brown the thing for me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 21, 2001, 05:52 AM   #3
BigG

I put together a CVA Mountain Gun (.54 Hawken) in about 1984. It had brown bbl and furniture and came out just as nice as a store bought rifle.

Take your time fitting the parts into the stock, it is inletted but you still need to do the final fitting using exacto knives, files, or small woodcarving chisels. When you sand the stock use a sanding block to keep it from developing waves. Also sand carefully, maintaining the shape of the stock. Keep the flat parts flat, etc.

The gun is a real shooter and will hit beer cans at 50 yards every time. Enjoy your project.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 21, 2001, 08:59 AM   #4
Rottweiler

Great winter project. I've built 3 kits and"graduated" to building from scratch. If you have built a knife then you can assemble a muzzleloader kit. The advice from Big G is right on the money,exacto knives are your best friends. You needn't worry about blowing any body parts off, if you follow the instructions and a little advice from the friends who have some experience
Old December 21, 2001, 10:13 AM   #5
redneck

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to make time to do this now. Maybe after I finish the knives that are sitting in various stages on my workbench.