The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 20, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1
jaytex

Inherited some Black Powder guns

A close friend of mine passed away recently and among other firearms he left me his black powder guns.I am no stranger to firearms but I don't know come here from sic'em about black powder guns.Among them is a Ruger Old Army pistol,a .44 cal Sile pistol,and 2 Thompson Center Hawkens rifles.I am not sure at this point what my plans are for them but is there anything unique to black powder vs firearms that need to be checked or inspected prior loading and shooting them? Thanks for any advice.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Sounds like a nice haul. Post some pictures and folks can tell you more about them.

TK
Old May 20, 2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Welcome to the form jaytex.
In regards to your recently inherited B/P firearms. Before shooting check to see if they were left in a loaded condition before your dropping another charge & projectile down each's barrel. Very easy task to accomplish.

Simply Cap their nipples and point the firearm in a safe direction shouldered or properly held and expect it to fire. If nothing happens other than your Caps firing your OK to reload then.

Tip: Old timers typically Ledger Marked their firearms ram rods. Which were dropped down a empty barrel un-tiped and marked someway at muzzle mouth. You could check to see if that Rod was previously marked. Which would simplify the barrel checking procedure (above) by not having to fire a Cap. Just by using of the R-Rod making sure its mark is at muzzle entrance. Not above the barrels entrance by a 2-3 inches which indicates the barrel being previously loaded.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:01 PM   #4
Rookie21

With a single shot percussion rifle and/or pistol: I drop a ramrod with brass flat ended jag and if it bounces off the bottom or breach and you hear the matalic sound of brass on steel then it's empty. Another way is to pop a cap on it with a cleaning patch lightly or gently placed in the muzzle. If the passage way is empty and clear the patch ought to bounce out. Another method is to pop a cap with the muzzle point blank in front of some tall grass blades. The grass will move if the gun is empty and passage way is clear. Or you could drop a ramrod in it, mark where the muzzle is and then remove the ram rod and lay it on the barrel to see if it is as long as the barrel ought to be. If it seams a little short it could be loaded. Proceed with caution.

With revolvers: check for function, tightness, lock up, bore condition, disasemble and inspect the internals for heavy fouling and rust. Clean and reassemble.

It's normal for black powder guns to have some finish loss or "character".

Last edited by Rookie21; May 20, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:46 PM   #5
jaytex

I will try to get some pictures loaded.The guns appear to be in very good condition.They were stored in a gun safe.The discloration around the hammers on the rifles indicate they have been fired.The Old Army looks like it is new,it appears to be unfired.Thanks for the tips for checking the guns.The rifles show to be 50 cal. and the Sile is .45cal.I did not see a number on the Ruger indicating what cal. it is.
Old May 21, 2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
It's normal for black powder guns to have some finish loss or "character".
Only if they're neglected or abused.
Old May 21, 2016, 07:47 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Ruger Old Army takes a .457 caliber lead ball.
Old May 21, 2016, 09:52 AM   #8
jaytex

Here is a picture of the Ruger.I am still trying to make room in the safe for the rest of them so I have not picked them up yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.JPG (39.4 KB, 111 views)
Old May 21, 2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Pahoo

My Compliments

jaytex
There will be many questions and replies, forthcoming. We are all willing to lend a hand. Of the three, the one that has the highest resale value, is the Ruger Old Army as it is no longer made and very desirable to some. As far as the TC.s. These too are no longer made or supported by the factory. Parts are still readily available. Read all you can, off the TC-barrels. Chances are that these may be "pre-stamped." Try to find all the boxes, literature and accessories you can, if it's tactfully done. As far as determining if it's loaded, you don't have to pop-a-cap. Drop your ramrod down the bore and listen for the "clink" or lead "thud". Then take your rod out and see where it on the outside of the barrel. .....

Take Care and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 21, 2016, 09:50 PM   #10
jaytex

Thanks for the input guys.I should have the rest of the guns by the end of next week.I feel certain there are accessories-bullets ,powder etc along with them.I will get some pictures up after I bring them back .Thanks
Old June 4, 2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Rachen

I have just re-read "The Rifle", by Gary Paulsen, for like the 20th time Books like these never get old. But if the story teaches one essential lesson, it is that with muzzleloading rifles, you MUST take care to inspect them to see if they are unloaded, before handling them in any way. The ramrod procedure is very effective, followed by popping a cap to clean the flame channel.

The Ruger is a real collector's item now. New ones haven't been built in over 5 years and they don't seem likely to be resumed in the future.