The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Poindexter

potential CASS n00b hardware planning

I am coming at this from perhaps an unusual direction.

I live in Alaska. I intentionally switched to .45 Colt for everyday carry and outdoors sidearm about two years ago.

After about a year EDC-ing my Redhawk I picked up a birdshead New Vaquero. Much lighter, plenty powerful for around town and in interior Alaska where the bears aren't very big and don't like being any closer to humans than they have to be.

So for one week of the year I carry the Redhawk while fishing for salmon at the salt water coast with the bigger brown bears, and I carry the Redhawk when hunting for moose in the territory of the Toklat grizzlies.

I am thinking two things. One, if I good better with single action revolver by spending some time with the CASS there is no reason I can't replace the Redhawk with a Blackhawk - but I don't think I can just get a Blackhawk and go play with the CASS.

So my main question is, which plow handle grip single action revolver should I think about for CASS that will be real similar to the Blackhawk plow handle grip I plan to bet my life on? And reasonably close to the birdshead Vaquero I conceal carry daily, also betting my life on?

Thanks
Old March 23, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Blackhawks have been SASS legal since the early days of Cowboy Action shooting. Back in the 80s, when CAS began, there were not as many choices of revolvers, so Blackhawks were OK. They are restricted to certain categories though.

Don't forget though, you will need two of them, a shotgun and a rifle. Gotta have all four to play.
Old March 24, 2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of CAS shooting ( I really like it ) but I also have my own range, & went out & got 3 - AR-500 steel plates cut the size the local club uses ( I think mine are 18" X 18" ) I have my own range, & can go out any time... by going to a website & looking up the shooting patterns, I can go shoot the patterns on my own targets at any time...

I mention this, if you were not wanting to buy another revolver, a lever gun, in a CAS acceptable caliber & a CAS acceptable shotgun... the steel plates & stands are much cheaper, & that way you could practice with a single revolver... have a buddy over, just use a stop watch for informal use, or buy a PACT shooting timer ( they aren't that expensive )

I look at CAS a little differently... I don't shoot against other shooters, or don't care what their scores are compared to mine... I just write down my score, & put it on a spread sheet when I get home, & attempt to better my score every time I shoot... ( this was very easy to do my 1st year... but gets tougher to do, the better you get )
Old March 24, 2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Poindexter

That's a good idea Magnum Wheel Man. Certainly some steel plates and a timer would be cost competitive with a rifle and shotgun I don't have, along with costume bits I don't have either.

Something to stew on. I did notice shooting double action IDPA and USSPA my skills increased dramatically the first summer - though like you I was out there to improve my times, not compete with anyone else.
Old March 24, 2014, 12:43 PM   #5
H.W. French

Vaquero

Get a used Ruger Vaquero (not New Vaquero) It's the same gun as your Blackhawk but with fixed sights.
Old March 24, 2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Rigmarol

If you are looking at shooting CAS just because you like to carry your single action revolver and what to practice, then by all means Magnum Wheel Man has a great suggestion.

But, if playing cowboy for saturday, and interacting with some the best gun folk on earth, the investment or cost of the "extra stuff" is well worth it in my honest opinion. BTW, I am definately NOT a people person. I like shooting alone but CAS in the exception for me. I very much look forward to the matches.

I also have no delusions I will ever be closer to the top the the scores card than the bottom. I try for just hitting all the targets and forget the clock completely.