The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 15, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
pnac

Colt shuts plant, workers talk to Conn. law...

It's not as bad as you think, but it's good that Colt is speaking out. A good article about the 400 workers at Colt in Conn. going to their state legislature explaining what the result of draconian gun laws really is. I wish Remington and other manf. would do the same.

Quote:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- The president of one of the nation's oldest gun manufacturers closed down his Connecticut factory Thursday morning and bused 400 of his workers to the state Capitol so they could personally urge lawmakers not to pass gun control legislation that they say could risk their livelihoods.
Quote:
Veilleux said gun customers are well-connected and know what is happening in different states in terms of gun control efforts.
"Our customers don't want to support the state of New York. So our customers aren't going to want to support the state of Connecticut," he said. "And our association is so strong with the state of Connecticut, that it's inevitable that it's going to begin to erode."
Link to article:http://news.yahoo.com/colt-shuts-pla...113403810.html
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old March 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
MercyfulFate

New England has SO MANY gun makers/factories, and so many anti-gun politicians. It drives me nuts, and I need to move north to New Hampshire or Maine where Ruger and Smith and Wesson even have plants.

My grandfather and my father, and 3 friends of mine all work/worked at the S&W plant in Springfield, MA too near where I grew up. The fact that my state is trying to ruin gun ownership makes me so upset.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 15, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Yankee Traveler

Good for Colt, set the example.

If the CT lawmakers do not to listen, TN is very manufacturer friendly!!!

Without any state income tax or snow to shovel.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:32 PM   #4
MercyfulFate

Quote:
Good for Colt, set the example.

If the CT lawmakers do not to listen, TN is very manufacturer friendly!!!

Without any state income tax or snow to shovel.
Yankee Traveler is online now Report Post
They could just go north to New Hampshire!

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 15, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
David White

Colt shuts plant, workers talk to Conn. law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyfulFate View Post
Or Vermont..
Old March 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #6
JWT

Connecticut is a very liberal state and after Sandy Hook the push for strict gun laws is strong. If Colt doesn't resonate with the anti gunners they should pack up and move. Lots of states that would welcome them and probably give them incentives.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Niantician

Re: Colt shuts plant, workers talk to Conn. law...

I've been following the proposed bills closely. A few recent articles have pointed out how little AR type rifles are actually used in crimes around here. The momentum is slowing and I think we are going to get out of this with only some increased background check laws getting passed. And hopefully we can keep our remaining gun manufacturers here. A wikipedia search on the history of gun manufacturing in Ct will surprise most people. We were the Armory of America for the first few hundred years. I would venture to say that Ct has produced more firearms than any other state in the nation. I'm proud of my state's history in firearm manufacturing and saddened by what's becoming of it.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...ticut_industry

Last edited by Niantician; March 15, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Niantician, I think you're wrong. I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. I think you're going to see a 10-round magazine limit, I think you're going to see your state AWB expanded to name more guns and to reduce the number of "evil" features from two to one, and I think you're going to see retroactive registration required for "assault weapons" that are currently legally-owned.

I know people in Connecticut who are already boxing up their standard-capacity magazines for shipment to friends in free states for safe-keeping, and shopping for 10-round mags.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:29 AM   #9
AH.74

Quote:
Quote:
Or Vermont..
Do you guys have ANY idea what it takes to move a facility like that?

I have been involved in moving a much smaller operation, and that was only a few towns over.

It would be a monumental undertaking. There is nothing "just" about it.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Punisher_1

Didn't Winchester move to Turkey to make life easier?
Old March 16, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
manta49

Quote:

I have been involved in moving a much smaller operation, and that was only a few towns over.

Companies move premises all the time from one part of the country to another and one country to another.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

Depends on whether they are moving all of their gear or just starting over in a new location. Remember, one reason Colt has had so much trouble over the years is that their equipment is somewhat ancient. Scrapping a lot of it, getting incentives to move, building a new building, and buying new equipment might actually come out cheaper over the long haul
Old March 17, 2013, 03:38 PM   #13
tiereta

They are opening the new plant right here in the tourist capital of the world, Kissimmee, fl .
Old March 17, 2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Fishing_Cabin

tiereta,

I have been hearing about the FL Colt plant, but there doesnt seem to be much movement as of yet. I am unsure what will happen with Colts plans on starting something up or moving to FL in the future, or if it would be an issue with a potential move elsewhere.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...lt-jobs-impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandosentinel.com
...About 15 months later, however, the Kissimmee facility that Colt was to use as a regional headquarters and manufacturing center sits empty, and no jobs have been created. The county has decided to begin exploring "Plan B" options in case the Connecticut company never comes to town...
Old March 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #15
AH.74

Quote:
Companies move premises all the time from one part of the country to another and one country to another.
I'm not saying they don't.

What I'm saying is that it takes a long time to plan and execute. It's not something that "just happens." It also costs a lot. A LOT.

Have you been involved in a company relocating, as I have?
Old March 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Winchester_73

Quote:
Didn't Winchester move to Turkey to make life easier?
No I actually didn't, I'm right in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA, where I have been for some years now. Off the top of my head, a move to Turkey would probably make my life more difficult. Thanks for asking about me though.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:13 PM   #17
motorhead0922

Veilleux's op-ed

Dennis Veilleux, Colt CEO wrote to the Hartford Courant about Colt possibly leaving the state:
http://articles.courant.com/2013-03-...s-manufacturer

He ends with:
Quote:
I know, however, that someday soon, I will again be asked why we fight to keep well-paying manufacturing jobs in Connecticut. I will be asked why we should continue to manufacture in a state where the governor would make ownership of our product a felony.

I will be asked these questions and, unlike in the past, there will be few good answers.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:21 PM   #18
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Or Vermont..

Call the governor of Texas, you'll get put right through. We'll give you massive tax breaks and a workforce skilled in machining and violently opposed to unions. Just don't move to Travis County.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:55 PM   #19
breakingcontact

Hope all the gun companies move to free states. You know...those states that respect the rights of their citizens. Not pushing for TX. We have enough people moving here. Why don't they move across the road from Ruger in Arizona? (I think that's where ruger is anyways)
Old March 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #20
HiBC

It is worthy of note that approx 8 days before the Sandy Hook shootings,the Gov of CT offered Bushmaster generous incentives,to move to CT.

While moving a mfg plant is a large undertaking,it can also be true the old facility and machinery is an obstacle to efficiency.

Taxes,perhaps a fresh wage and benefit structure,and a new plant layout based on modern manufacturing methods might breath new life into Colt made in USA.

Many of those old plants were located so that a mill wheel in the river could drive a jackshaft in the ceiling .The plant was laid out to place the machines under the jackshafts.

A modern facility can be designed around workflow and processes.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Niantician

Anti-gun momentum is weakening by the day here. Politicians can make threats but that doesnt mean we aren't a "free" state (whatever that means) Ct is still essentially a shall issue, open carry state with no capacity restrictions and AR-15s are still being produced and sold by the thousands every month. Our State constitution still proclaims the "right to bare arms shall no be infringed" and our citizens plan to keep it that way. Yes, we are a socially and economically liberal state but our rich firearms history cannot be ignored, surpassed or taken for granted. You would be better served in the long run trying to help our cause rather than trying to divide us.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:20 AM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niantician
Anti-gun momentum is weakening by the day here. Politicians can make threats but that doesnt mean we aren't a "free" state (whatever that means) Ct is still essentially a shall issue, open carry state with no capacity restrictions and AR-15s are still being produced and sold by the thousands every month. Our State constitution still proclaims the "right to bare arms shall no be infringed" and our citizens plan to keep it that way. Yes, we are a socially and economically liberal state but our rich firearms history cannot be ignored, surpassed or taken for granted. You would be better served in the long run trying to help our cause rather than trying to divide us.
You are whistling in the dark. Anti-gun fervor is still much stronger in Hartford than it is in Washington, DC. You still have something like 80 anti-gun bills pending before your state legislature, and you still have a rabid governor who is so anti-gun that he has turned against his own "gun violence" task force because they haven't come out with recommendations strong enough, fast enough to suit the governor's agenda. You still have a State Police department whose commanding officer briefed other state police commanders on what the Sandy Hook investigation has uncovered, but refuses to give the same information to the legislators who are working to craft new laws.

And your state's constitution does not say that the RKBA "shall not be infringed." It actually says:

Quote:
SEC. 15. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Niantician

Any member of the legislature can propose a bill just like any citizen can file a lawsuit. That doesn't mean it will become law, or even come up for a vote. Two years ago a proposal to limit capacity to ten rounds couldn't even make it to the floor for a vote. Our governor doesn't pass laws by himself. He is noticably frustrated with the lack of action on his proposed bills and with the resistance they are facing by both voters and legislators.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:31 PM   #24
KyJim

Niantician --

I think we all here hope you are correct in your assessment.
Old March 30, 2013, 02:56 AM   #25
1stmar

Reps from my gun club have been meeting with legislators, the word we are getting (at last communication) is they are thinking they will make a sacrifice, 10 rd ban in favor of dropping the other restrictions.