The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2012, 08:49 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey
There's a lot more to this than simple home invasion.

http://www.newson6.com/story/1642721...-home-invasion

Read all the comments going back & forth on the circumstances and lead-in.
Okay ... I read ALL the comments.

Why is it anything other than a simple home invasion?
Old January 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #27
youngunz4life

sounds like a pre-meditated home invasion

even more dangerous of a home invasion than some...I don't blame her for not telling the scumbag she had a weapon(that was her one line of defense and he might've countered if he had knowledge).

they probably assumed she had no weapon. the girl was smart. she got the go-ahead to take him out. that's textbook...not to mention they might have schooled her how to have the shotgun ready.

I don't care what was going on. at that moment she had every right to do what she did. I believe this happened in the middle of the night too.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:53 PM   #28
MLeake

AB, the fact that the police seem to think the dogs may have been killed earlier in the week to soften the target suggests pre-meditation.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:56 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
AB, the fact that the police seem to think the dogs may have been killed earlier in the week to soften the target suggests pre-meditation.
Most home invasions are premeditated. Killing the dogs in advance doesn't make it anything more than a simple home invasion to me.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:15 PM   #30
mehavey

Quote:
Why is it anything other than a simple home invasion?
Because there is now an alternate explanation being put forth that it may well have been a case of an owner sending an agent to enter/reclaim what was thought to be thought a mobile home/trailer under repossession.

`Lotta screaming & yelling swirling around this one... emotions high and a lotta facts yet to come out.

Film at Eleven.....
Old January 3, 2012, 10:18 PM   #31
MLeake

Yes, some anonymous posters claim that the landlord sent "agents" to break into his property, in the dead of night, using a hammer, and carrying a 12" butcher knife...

And that the mother should have warned them, apparently while she was on an extended call with 911...

If they were in fact landlord's agents, then they were in violation of both the law and of common sense in the way they executed his wishes.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:32 PM   #32
youngunz4life

I wonder what will happen to the 2nd perp: possibly no weapon + never entered home. it seems that case can go really extreme one way or much less in the other direction depending on what happened. lawyer up because if you show up with your ugly mug and nothing else(in shackles for that matter), you midas well get the canteen acct going early
Old January 3, 2012, 10:33 PM   #33
nate45

Its been four days now, when is the landlord going to come forward?

If he really sent poor little Dusty and Curly to check on his property, looks like he would mention it.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:43 PM   #34
MLeake

If the commenters on the news website are to be believed, the accomplice, or assistant agent, did NOT call 911 after his co-conspirator, or lead agent, depending, was shot.

That, if true, would seem to tilt the scales even further to the accomplice/co-conspirator side of the balance than the assistant/lead agent side.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #35
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
If the commenters on the news website are to be believed, the accomplice, or assistant agent, did NOT call 911 after his co-conspirator, or lead agent, depending, was shot.

That, if true, would seem to tilt the scales even further to the accomplice/co-conspirator side of the balance than the assistant/lead agent side.
Yep.

Unless newer details have changed the sequence, it appears the co-conspirator ran away, called his parents, and then went to the police and turned himself in. This does not bespeak a person who believed he (and his associate) had a legitimate right to be where they were and be doing what they did.

[edit to add]And new details have emerged. Just found an updated story that says the second perp DID call the police, to report that his friend had been shot.

And yet another new tidbit:

Quote:
The Grady County District Attorney was not available for comment Monday, but McKinley's mother said that Justin Martin actually followed her daughter around at a rodeo about two years ago.

She also said McKinley bumped into him recently at a convenience store. Then he showed up knocking on her door Thursday night, introducing himself as a neighbor. McKinley told her mother she did not know who he was until she pieced it all together after the shooting.
http://www.newson6.com/story/1643151...shoot-intruder

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #36
Alaska444

Not sure why folks are saying it was "the middle of the night," when in fact it was in the middle of the afternoon.

Secondly, even if they were in some manner an agent of the landlord, how they approached and forced their way into her house is completely unlawful. I haven't seen any indication that these creeps had anything to do with the landlord, but landlords are NOT allowed to force their way into a rented home without the renters permission. If these two were "sent" by the landlord acting as his agents, then he very well could be facing charges as well.

There is a lawful manner in which to evict people. These two creeps exhibited nothing that appears lawful in any manner. The first creep is dead, the second will be charged with his murder for the crime of breaking and entering. If there is somehow a landlord connection which I doubt from the few news reports I have read, but if he is involved in any manner, he better get a good lawyer as well. I am sure if the land lord is involved, he will disavow these two creeps as quickly as he can.

Another report states that she had an adverse encounter with this creep a couple of years earlier. The dogs are dead making the sounds of a creepy home invasion a mile from the main road in the middle of no where. There is nothing lawful that I see in the actions of these two creeps. If the land lord did send these folks, then once again, he better get a good lawyer quickly.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:56 PM   #37
Alaska444

OK states you must give 24 hour notice and allow the tenant to reschedule at least once if the first time schedule does not work for them. If these creeps were there lawfully, why is the second under arrest for breaking and entering.

Nevertheless, the creep entered with a 12 inch knife after terrorizing her for over twenty minutes. Whether he is an alleged agent of the landlord or not, that ain't the way you lawfully enter a property in a professional manner.

Someone coming to my house in such an instance will get acute lead poisoning real quick as well. Not sure why anyone is even bringing this up. That is why most evictions are handled by the police, not private agents of the land lord.

To date, I have not seen an credible source showing any land lord involvement. If someone has a credible link to that part of the story, I would appreciate seeing that.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:06 AM   #38
ripnbst

Living in Oklahoma, I can tell you that the second you enter my home unwanted you are fair game. I don't have to say a word, all I have to do is see you halfway through my door/window and I can empty a mag of whatever I am holding into you and your buddies and not need to worry about legal repercussions.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:13 AM   #39
nate45

We should be putting any stock at all, in what a tiny minority of anonymous news story commentaries say any way.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:20 AM   #40
Alaska444

I looked through some of the comments on some of the OK news stories. Since the police cleared her already, I would assume that they have already reviewed the entire 911 call. With a trailer, it is likely that the actions and shouts from the two creeps is on those tapes. I suspect that when they release the tapes down the road, you will find terrorizing threats were made against this lady, then unlawful forced entry and then a 12 inch knife.

Sounds like a good shoot to me. If this is not a good shoot with a girl on the phone with 911 for 21 MINUTES before the entry, then we are all in danger.

Lastly, people that do the bidding of a land lord are almost universally able to produce a very important item called a house key. People acting as a land lord's agent do not bring hammers and knives to enter a house. Sounds quite fishy to be questioning this shooting with internet rumors from anonymous sources.

I will wait for the real evidence release which hopefully will not be a long time coming. She is to appear on ABC or CBS news tomorrow morning. Hopefully they gather a bit more news and details confirmed by true journalism. Well we can hope anyway. Fox news ran a news story on her today. No mention of anything but criminal charges for the second accomplice. Once again, you enter a tenants building with a legal key, not hammers and knives. If you look at the door, it was busted off of its frame. I have never heard of a land lord busting up his own property. They would have simply left and called the sheriffs dept. if she did lawfully deny them right to entry under OK law. To date, not one credible news outlet with that alleged story.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:30 AM   #41
Alaska444

Here is an OK local news report with a police spokesman talking about how they are looking for further evidence of a "home invasion" that appears to be premeditated.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,5341533.story

Hopefully they will have more evidence to be able to release to answer the anonymous accusations. I didn't see a bit of police action on this news report suggesting anything but a good shoot. No reports that she has been interrogated or questioned in any manner at all. I am quite curious to hear the actual 911 tape by both the lady and the second burglar.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:43 AM   #42
nate45

Thanks for that link Alaska444

Quote:
Detectives say there is much more to their investigation and are planning to seize more evidence from 24-year-old Justin Shane Martin's car.

Blanchard Police Detective Dan Huff said, "We believe the vehicle has evidence of the crime and we believe that it will show that the home invasion may have been premeditated."

While the case moves forward and Dustin Louis Stewart is charged with burglary, detectives are obtaining a search warrant for Martin's car.
http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,5341533.story
Four days later and the detectives are bringing her presents for her baby and saying they believe the evidence points to premeditated home invasion.

That sure doesn't jive with the landlord and they were good boys rumor.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #43
jimpeel

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I did a search on Oklahoma and got a thread about an "Oklahoma Teenager". Didn't think they were the same as this was a woman with a husband (deceased) and an infant child. Not a "teenager" in the usual sense to me.

I read some of the comments at the link in post #5 and some of them sound like friends of the perp like this one from "bad deal":

Quote:
I Think She was scared for her baby and did what she thought she should do to protect him But, I do think the truth hasnt come out considering her story changed at every interview. God knows the news wont update the story now that they made her the hero. Sure wish they could interview Justin's boss. 20 minutes was a life lost so thank you to the wonderful Blanchard PD. Only god knows his heart so leave the judging to him. RIP Justin I will miss you .

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 4, 2012, 01:20 AM   #44
jimpeel

Another post at the link gives credence to Alaska444's post #19 that the 911 tape will reveal what was said on both sides.

Quote:
Dont know where THE TRUTH is getting this info, but that is the craziest story ive heard yet. I KNOW THIS FAMILY personally, and whoever is telling you that story is full of ****. This man has been stalking this poor girl for several weeks. THE WHOLE ORDEAL IS RECORDED ON THE 911 TAPE. Not just SOME of it, ALL OF IT.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Last edited by jimpeel; January 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:21 AM   #45
Alaska444

Same story, duplicate thread. I commented earlier on how misleading the title of "teen mom" is when she was married, widowed and a mother and on top of that an emancipated adult by law at the age of 18 and by her actions on the other thread earlier. I guess good minds think alike.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:36 AM   #46
wayneinFL

Quote:
Lastly, people that do the bidding of a land lord are almost universally able to produce a very important item called a house key.
Doesn't work if someone changes the locks. Every home I ever rented, I changed the locks as soon as I moved in. When I left, I handed the keys over to the landlord. Of course, I've never heard of a landlord paying someone to knock down the door of a rental.

Could be both sides are telling a little of the truth. Could be the landlord inadvertently hired the woman's stalker to check on the house.

I'd love to hear the 911 tape.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:44 AM   #47
jimpeel

One of the stories stated that the perp was found slumped over a couch that the occupant had used to barricade the door. So she was moving furniture around which would not be the most silent act she could have performed. The guys had to know that the house was occupied; and if the part about his having "stalked" her is true ...

Old January 4, 2012, 01:50 AM   #48
Alaska444

I haven't heard any credible report that she had a dispute with her land lord. Instead, the reports are that the landlord allowed her 3 months rent free after her husband died to help her get back on her feet.

To date, there is no credible news source stating that the two creeps had any legitimate reason for trying to enter her domicile. They are publicly calling it a premeditated home invasion. Remember, she has a one mile long drive way and thus is completely isolated from any neighbors from the sounds of it by the news reports to date. Sounds like they had targeted this lady and started by killing two of her dogs by apparent poisoning.

If all of this is true, then good riddance to the creep.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:44 AM   #49
thallub

Quote:
I wonder what will happen to the 2nd perp: possibly no weapon + never entered home.
It does not matter that the 2nd perp never entered the home. Under OK law he can be charged with murder.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:48 AM   #50
mehavey

Still.... something doesn't feel quite completely right yet.

I'll be interested in what the police eventually release as the second man's official statement.