The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 16, 2011, 08:06 PM   #1
shafter

A questions and an observation

Hey guys, two things here.

First, I just bought a A Rossi 92 carbine. It's in blued steel and is in flawless condition. The price was $299. I think I got a pretty good deal but I thought I'd check.

The second thing might interest you guys. I am in the middle of watching the series, Centennial based on James Micheners book. Its really good so far with plenty of mountain man stuff and black powder weapons. What caught my eye is in one scene a mountain man is bragging about his newfangled weapon. He pulls from his belt a Patterson. I just thought that was really cool
Old November 16, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

That was a good deal.

The Rossi 92 is a fairly indestructible rifle if treated with just a little respect. With minimal care, it will last two lifetimes- much longer if treated better.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Shotgun693

Sounds like a good price to me.
The Paterson was rare then. It would have been a prize to own.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Rawg the Huug

Hell, a Pat's a rare & prized thing now! Can't wait til February; DGW will apparently be carrying them again, though I expect the timeline to be optimistic.

Speaking of TV shows (haven't heard of Centennial & assume it is TV), has anyone seen Hell On Wheels? I missed the 1st episode & have DVRed the 2nd, but will wait to catch the 1st...

Sorry to hijack a thread. Isn't the '92 the rifle most often used in the majority of older western flicks? Seems to me that was the big looped rifle in...um, crap, what was it...the one with Dean Martin & Walter Brennan & Ricky Nelson? Favorite Duke film & I can't remember the name...

I've owned a Rossi '92. Fine weapon. You paid an excellent price.
Old November 17, 2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Hellgate

I've owned 3 still have two. They were the original "gamer gun" in the Short Rifle configuration that had an octogon barrel and curved butt plate. Mine are the carbines. If you glue a piece of suede leather to the butt plate it will stay on the shoulder as you rack it. I like mine. They are a whole lot cheaper than the tricked out Winchester '66s & '73s that run $1000+. Mine are in 357mag and do what I need them to do in Cowboy Action Matches.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 18, 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Noz

The 92s can be sent to Steve's Gunz AKA Nate Kiowa Jones and he can make a gamer gun out of them. Out of the box they are either perfect or horrible. Doesn't seem to be any in between.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Hawg

If you have one with a rough action you can fill the action with white lithium grease and work it for a couple of hours. You wont believe how smooth it will get. It wont be as smooth as one of Steve's but you can hold it out in front of you with one hand and work loaded rounds through it with one finger as fast as you want to.