The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
BigHearn

Marlin Model 60

New here thought I would give it a try. Have a Marlin Model 60 that had a jam of the breech when the charging handle broke. Took apart and have it working except that the cartridges will not eject. Everything goes well except for that. Loads from the mag fine but just wont let the spent cartridge loose. Does anyone have an idea what part or parts may need replacing to correct this problem. Don't want to just go buying and throwing parts at a fairly cheap gun.
Old November 24, 2008, 01:35 PM   #2
tdrizzle

Broken extractor?
Old November 24, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
BigHearn

Could be It does pull the shell back just does not throw it out.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Tom2

I went to the Marlin site and looked at the manual and exploded view on pdf download. I see an ejector lifter spring but not an "ejector" on the parts list/view. Has dual extractors too I guess. Been a long time since I had one. Well the problem is probably a dinky little part like one of the extractors or an ejector problem. Does the bolt travel far enough back to fully eject the cartridge? In any event I cannot think that what ever little part is bad, would be expensive enough to prevent you from fixing it, unless it is a totally trashed out junker or something. I mean, they are good accurate shooters for the money if working right.
Old November 24, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5
bcp

The ejector is a wire that comes up under the left front of the bolt. One end is the ejector, the other end is the lifter spring. It should be lying in a groove in the feed block. You should see maybe 1/4 inch of wire when the bolt is all the way back.

The wire can break, bend, or come out of the groove. The groove can break off the feed block.

You could have reassembled the rifle with the ejector wire alongside the feedblock instead of in the groove.

Here is a picture:

from this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...t=86314&page=2

Here it is in relaxed position. The short end will be below the long end when installed.

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; November 24, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old November 25, 2008, 08:54 AM   #6
BigHearn

Hats off Bruce. The wire is broken off right at the bend that goes up over the feed. I got it ordered as well as a new charging bolt which is what broke and caused the original problem. Ordered a new trigger guard as well as the plastic is cracked at the rear screw hole. All told a little over $30 to fix it. Thanks to all for replys and help. Should be up and shooting in little under a week.
Old November 29, 2008, 09:27 AM   #7
BigHearn

For those that care I got the spring installed and the gun works like new. Thanks Bruce it was hard to tell the problem unless you knew what to look for the spring was there but broke. Well worth a $2.00 spring to get a fine shooter going again. Midwayusa had all the parts I needed and shipped it out real quick.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:42 PM   #8
bcp

Good work.

It is hardest to find a malfunction caused by something missing from a rifle you are not completely familiar with.

Bruce